Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
76shovel

Lock Stock and Barrel Stout

4 posts in this topic

I started my Lock, Stock, And Barrel Stout yesterday, at 24 hours into it I am glad I did it in a MB 2 gallon fermenter with the krausen  extension ring and not an LBK. This brew has got several inches of krausen on it, none of my previous brews were that active. Maybe a 1/2" of foam at best. I guess it's working.

Questions:

In two weeks I am to add bourbon soaked oak chips. The kit came with 1 oz of chips and the instructions just say to add the chips for another week. I assume all of them?  Also, would a little extra bourbon cause any harm? ( I do like bourbon). The recipe says use just enough liquor to cover the chips, mine are soaking in about 4-5 oz of Bulleit. I can spoon them out when the time comes but would 4-5 oz of whisky in 2.250 gallons wreck the process?

Thanks

Mark

I dumped the whiskey along with the chips into the LBK.  It's not enough added ABV to harm the yeast.  And the flavor of the finished product is great.

76shovel likes this

Regarding the krausen, I did mine in the LBK and it probably came as close to blowing over as I've had since the first batch I did (which probably reached 85 degrees during high krausen, sitting out at room temperature during the summer).  This recipe is actually the reason I joined the forum, to ask about proper temperature control.  Based on the responses, this is the first recipe I put in a cooler with ice bottles to keep the temp down while fermentation was going on.  Even so, the Nottingham yeast are voracious and went to town on all of that malt.

76shovel and hotrod3539 like this