Scottyb in Wi

Fresh brewed beer

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Well my 3 week wait is over for the classic american light. I wanted to taste what it tasted like after 3 weeks so I put one in the fridge for 3 days. This isnt the best beer I ever tasted just kind of somewhere in the middle. I like the clarity and such. I got Diablo waiting so I think that will come out better. The first batch is always the hardest to drink and it's true lol

IMG_20171103_201735.jpg

IMG_20171103_201739.jpg

HoppySmile! and Creeps McLane like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Nickfixit said:

Looks decent, but it, too,  will get better with time - if you can bear to leave it that long.  I find the CAL is more to my taste with 0.5 oz of Citra or Cascade in it.

 

Can't ever go wrong with Cascade.

MRB Tim, Nickfixit and HoppySmile! like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gets better with time is correct. Myself and a few others on the forum advocate longer conditioning times for most beers. They seem to mellow, flavors meld and mature. I have found (anecdotal evidence only) the head and body of the beer improve as well as the flavor, with longer conditioning time. Now that you tasted your beer young, let a couple of bottles sit 3 months or more (hope you can wait!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies

I actually have craft beer Diablo brewing and it's 3 week bottling date is coming up on the 11th. So I want to to finish these off and bottle that and let that sit. Can you let it sit longer in the fermenter? 

I actually think this beer tasted just blah because when I brewed it the can was past it's due date and the yeast was bad. I will finish this beer up and hopefully get a better beer with Diablo. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should not go longer than 3 weeks in the fermenter, the beer will not improve.  If you don't have bottles available, you can go a week more if you need to.  I'd recommend in the meantime cold crashing with the front end propped up while you're waiting.


CAL is lousy all the time.  I don't know what you mean by "yeast was bad", as yeast either works or it doesn't.  If the can was within 2 years of the date it was fine, if the yeast was that old, and stored in a hot environment, it was not.

 

If CAL is a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, Diablo is a 7 or 8.

NwMaltHead likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Scotty B. Good to see more WI people here.

 

I too started with the American Classic. As you have noted, it's "okay" at 4 weeks or so. It does actually get to be pretty decent after 4 to 6 months. Put it away for now and take it out again in May or June and enjoy it one evening on the deck, before the mosquitoes come out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WisconsinBadger said:

Hi Scotty B. Good to see more WI people here.

Even with your strength in numbers, you can't beat the dynamic duo from beer-hating Oklahoma!!

 

@HoppySmile!

HoppySmile! likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Scottyb in Wi said:

 @WisconsinBadger Where in the great state of Wisconsin do you live? I live in the birthplace of the Republican Party. 

Oh, guessing games.

 

Ripon?

 

I live in "The Only one in the World".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:56 AM, RickBeer said:

You should not go longer than 3 weeks in the fermenter, the beer will not improve.  If you don't have bottles available, you can go a week more if you need to.  I'd recommend in the meantime cold crashing with the front end propped up while you're waiting.


CAL is lousy all the time.  I don't know what you mean by "yeast was bad", as yeast either works or it doesn't.  If the can was within 2 years of the date it was fine, if the yeast was that old, and stored in a hot environment, it was not.

 

If CAL is a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, Diablo is a 7 or 8.

CAL HME with booster and Cascade dry hops can be a 6 though at least I think.

I think the Diablo also benefits from Dry hops, e.g. 1 oz Citra for a week.

Shrike likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, Scottyb in Wi said:

Thanks for the replies

I actually have craft beer Diablo brewing and it's 3 week bottling date is coming up on the 11th. So I want to to finish these off and bottle that and let that sit. Can you let it sit longer in the fermenter? 

I actually think this beer tasted just blah because when I brewed it the can was past it's due date and the yeast was bad. I will finish this beer up and hopefully get a better beer with Diablo. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks 

I think it tasted "blah" because it is designed as a "light" beer. But you can always fix that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now