Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
hotrod3539

This..... normal. No panic or worries here!

This is normal. This is what can happen once your krausen has fallen back into the fermenting beer. Notice the film/foam and the "floaters". The film/foam is what is left from the krausen and because of the fermentation and co2 escaping created a bit of foam. The floaters are a tan/brown color and have very smooth round edges. These are known sometimes as yeast rafts. If you see this, it is completely normal.... do not panic. If your floaters are predominantly white, have rough, jagged edges you have an infection.... but still do not panic. Bottle as normal, leaving as much of the floater layer in the fermenter and carb and condition as normal. Drink and enjoy. But the sooner the better.... 

(Beer seen on the photos is a Tangerine pale ale just before cold crashing. Took top off to get sample for gravity double check using sanitized cup.)

20171105_142822.jpg

20171105_142824.jpg

Love it. Keep this on top so new brewers can see this!

ive used kolsch yeast and racked it 4 weeks into primary and that thing still had a gentle pillow of krausen

belle saison seems to keep a lot of gunk on top. I think nottingham does too. 

That looks like safale US-05 in @hotrod3539‘s big mouth. 

3A134C97-3A0A-40F9-8C87-916A8B265987.png

50 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Love it. Keep this on top so new brewers can see this!

ive used kolsch yeast and racked it 4 weeks into primary and that thing still had a gentle pillow of krausen

belle saison seems to keep a lot of gunk on top. I think nottingham does too. 

That looks like safale US-05 in @hotrod3539‘s big mouth. 

3A134C97-3A0A-40F9-8C87-916A8B265987.png

Maybe we can get a pin. From @MRB Josh R or @MRB Tim to keep this at the top...

That which you see here was Nottingham yeast in the Tangerine pale ale in a bucket fermenter. There is a few recent posts from me where you do see the BMB with us-05 that was a veritable yeast orgy... I mean all told if I totalled between what was in primary and secondary I think I ended up with about a gallon of yeast slurry.

Just now, hotrod3539 said:

That which you see here was Nottingham yeast in the Tangerine pale ale in a bucket fermenter. There is a few recent posts from me where you do see the BMB with us-05 that was a veritable yeast orgy... I mean all told if I totalled between what was in primary and secondary I think I ended up with about a gallon of yeast slurry.

Yeast orgy, sexy

6 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Yeast orgy, sexy

I know right?!?!? Lol!

I would like to see if someone could post a pic of an actual infection here in this thread for comparison purposes.... I thought I saw @MRB Josh R post a good one somewhere but for the life if me I can't remember where....

14 minutes ago, hotrod3539 said:

I know right?!?!? Lol!

I would like to see if someone could post a pic of an actual infection here in this thread for comparison purposes.... I thought I saw @MRB Josh R post a good one somewhere but for the life if me I can't remember where....

Jacked from @Nickfixit

heres the thread

heres the pic

7587F5F7-88A0-4F51-9A9E-9E38501F83CA.pngThe one time i had an infection “STD Beer” (still aging in my cellar). I seem to remember it being a bunch of tiny yeast rafts, each with a white outline on it. It was a stout and first time using what ever yeast i used and i had hoped it was just the new yeast. I was wrong

I know this is an old post but it just saved me from wasting money. 

I'm new to this and still learning. My first batch was Churchill. It went fine and is conditioning now. I get to try it next week. 

My second batch was the cerialisious stout I found the recipe for here. Last night I moved my LBK so I could bottle today. When I took the lid off it looked horrible. Thought I was going to have to toss it. It looks almost identical to the first pic in this post. 

Thanks