Mr.Beer Community
KaijuBrew

Is this batch infected?

29 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

I won't ask why the lid is off...

Hard to tell with the lighting.  That could simply be protein clumps.

I would bottle, but as those get near the spigot don't bottle them.

I took the lid off for a quick peek for a a half a minute before bottling about 30 minutes before bottled

On 11/11/2017 at 1:24 PM, KaijuBrew said:

I cold crashed my Helles for the past 2 days.  I see there are floating brown items on the top of the LBK.  Is this infected?

How to tell and what to do if it is?

IMG_0245.jpg

Does not look infected to me.  Have seen similar in my brews w/o ever a problem.  Good luck.

Kevin 

Okay - It has been a few months and I am back to report!  Having drank a few of the Helles I can say it was not infected and is delicious!

I believe the yeast was still active because I did have one bottle rupture.  Luckily it was in a cooler during conditioning and just left a quarter inch of beer to clean up.

I refrigerated the rest of the bottles after they had conditioned in case the yeast needs to be slowed down to avoid another rupture.  The bottles are all very firm.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:39 PM, Shrike said:

Sometimes you have to for late hop or flavoring additions.  But when you have to, you make it quick.

Unless you are one with the LBK, concentrate really hard and the additions pass through the solid lid in awe of you.  If you make that happen, you will be an LBK Whisperer.

2 hours ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

Unless you are one with the LBK, concentrate really hard and the additions pass through the solid lid in awe of you.  If you make that happen, you will be an LBK Whisperer.

My psychokinetic powers are useless when brewing.  As a matter of fact the only thing I can use them for is startling squirrels.  :o

my psychokinetic power is the ability to generate one paper clip from my hand, once a week. lol...  wife and i were watching that x men / kids spin off showthe gifted i think its called.  wife asked what my super power would be and i jokingly said: once a week i can a) manifest a paperclip,  b- produce the sound 'BOOP!' out of nowhere, and c- i can communicate with chickens... once per week.  later that week i hid a paperclip in the fatty fold of my thumb. i told her to hold out her hand and i hovered my palm face down over hers. while waving it in a circle i went BOOP! and dropped the clip in her hand. she freaked. lol.  i thought it was funny. 

as for removing the lid, while not a good idea because of the risk of things dropping into the wort...  yeast are really incredibly resilient creatures.  i use a fermentation bucket. i had massive build up of krausen that caused the lid to leak like a sieve. i repeatedly popped the lid. i scooped out excess foam with a sanitized spoon. i let the volcano of foam gush out the underside of the lid and run down the bucket... it would not stop for about a day and a half.  i even swapped out the lid on the bucket. my fermentation room is the spare shower / bath room.. in the shower enclosure.. not the most sterile of environments but the shower enclosure is walled with glass and it's cooler there. i took minimal precautions as far as washing hands, squirting star san on lid before opening...  and the beer came out just fine. no infection.  the yeast was so aggressive nothing could get a foothold in the wort.. or maybe i just got lucky.