Scottyb in Wi

Is Canadian blonde the same beer as Molson Canadian

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone

I'm a pretty big fan of Molson Canadian beer. I was wondering is the Canadian blonde anything like Molson at all? I bought a refill and am anxious to brew it and see how close they taste. Let me know 

Thanks

First, that's a lager.  Nearly all Mr. Beer refills and recipes are ales.  Lagers tend to taste crispier.  Much commercial beers are lagers.  

Second, it has an ABV of 5%.  Your refill, without the booster, will be 3.1%, 4.1% with booster (2 small packs or 1 large pack).

If you read the description on the Mr. Beer site, it says:  Lightly colored, a clean, fresh palate, well balanced with subtle hop notes and a crisp finish. This is a classic easy drinking Canadian style beer.   If you like Moosehead, Molson Canadian or Labatt Blue you will like this brew.

If you think those 3 beers taste very similar, then you might be presently surprised.  However, most Mr. Beer refills taste nothing like commercial beers.

MRB Josh R likes this

I tend to think of Mr Beer beers not as "like beer X" but as beer drinks on their own merit. One can try very hard to "clone" commercial beers but it is pretty tough, especially the lighter flavor ones.

Most American Lagers are brewed using corn and one can find "Molson clone recipes online to get an idea of how to concoct one.

If I wanted to clone, I would look at the fermentable make-up, the ABV, the IBU and the color and carbonation and fermentation style. All of which can be tweaked starting  from Mr Beer extracts to some extent.

If you can ferment using lager yeast that would be better, but you could get closer to an American/Canadian beer than plain Canadian Blonde probably using something like the Mr Beer Naughty Cream Ale recipe but use the Canadian Blonde HME instead of the Classic Light. Probably lighter color using the CAL but that is what I would do. Also...

To keep it light and less malty, I would use booster instead of the Pale Softpack. 2 packs of it to get closer to 5% ABV. Otherwise follow that recipe.

If you don't want to partial mash, you could add some of this I guess. It has the corn in already.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/AMERICAN_LAGER_EXTRACT_6_LBS-P942C99.aspx

I also read some folks have used Corn Flake breakfast cereal, I would guess 1 or 2 cups in a sterilized hop bag added  right into the LBK with the wort.

I read you might also avoid the mash by adding some Corn Grits. Since they are denser than cornflakes, I would guess 1/2  to 1 cup. They are precooked but I would not put them in the pot to boil as they will surely congeal. So in a bag into the LBK.

Any folks used cereals like this? I have used oatmeal in partial mash and  luck charms cereal right into LBK. Should the Corn Grits be used as partial mash maybe with some pilsner barley?

Disclosure, I have not brewed this recipe, I am only going by looking at ingredients.

MRB Josh R likes this

Thanks for the replies everyone, I worded this wrong. I guess what I meant to say will this be in the ballpark taste wise like a Molson or labatt?