Bassman

LBK - Sanitize Before Assembly?

14 posts in this topic

My LBK and spigot are clean. I used PBW after my last brew, a couple of years ago, and did a basic wash this morning with a sponge in anticipation of tonights brewing. I would like to assemble the LBK, fill it with water, and confirm no leaking before I actually add the wort.

Should I sanitize the spigot parts before assembly before the test? I will sanitize the LBK with Star San after the test and before filling with wort.

I'd probably rinse the whole thing with good, hot water to remove any dust and then test it for leaks. Then I would think sanitize the whole thing as typical before the wort addition, then it should be all good.

Thanks to both of you. I did a good wash and since this morning and left the parts to dry. I'll do a Star San dip before assembly and leak testing. Then Star San before wort filling.

20 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Yes, you want to have the spigot disassembled into pieces, washed, and then sanitized before reassembly.

What do you mean by "in pieces"? Can it be broken down further than the spigot, washer, and nut? Can you disassemble the valve itself?

The one I have can be taken apart. It is a white one where you turn the spigot to ON or OFF. You can pull the lever out. It is this one:

Related image

50 minutes ago, Bassman said:

The one I have can be taken apart. It is a white one where you turn the spigot to ON or OFF. You can pull the lever out. It is this one:

Related image

Okay, is there a certain technique, or do you just snatch it out?

Pulled it out. When I was putting it back in last night it was a pain but I persisted.

I just did it myself, it was harder to get it out than it was to replace it. Thankfully it was clean as a whistle inside. I was afraid of what I would find.

Bassman likes this

Trick - pivot the on/off to 1/2 open.  Stick a flat bladed screwdriver back near the backing plate where there is a flat piece sticking out on the bottom part.  Twist gently, you'll hear a pop/click.  Separate.

Bassman likes this

I have not been able to pull my spigots apart.

But I use the 5 times open and close while the LBK has got the sanitizer in it, running a little bit through and it seems to do OK. And it sits the full 10  minutes.

(4 LBKs  187 brews - maybe I am just lucky :P)

I do clean out any yeast I can see with paper towel and hot water after bottling.

hotrod3539 likes this

On 11/16/2017 at 7:58 AM, RickBeer said:

Trick - pivot the on/off to 1/2 open.  Stick a flat bladed screwdriver back near the backing plate where there is a flat piece sticking out on the bottom part.  Twist gently, you'll hear a pop/click.  Separate.

I did the trick and it worked like a charm!

RickBeer likes this

On 11/16/2017 at 6:58 AM, RickBeer said:

Excellent! It's always bugged me that I could not get into that bit to clean it. Now it shall be done!

RickBeer likes this