Mr.Beer Community
Bassman

Refill Advice Needed

I'd like to try a couple of Craft Refills. Has anyone tried the following:

Northwest Pale Ale - Is that like a Sierra Nevada? Use US-05?

Churchill's Nut Brown Ale - More Samuel Smith than New Castle? Use S-04 or Nottingham?

Thanks and suggestions always appreciated.

I've not brewed the Northwest "straight up", but I've brewed two of the recipes that use it, American Burleywine and Santa Rita Pale Ale and both are great.

I have brewed the Churchill's "straight up" but it's still conditioning.  I'll be trying my first one mid-December.

I've made the Churchill Nut Brown - and I thought it was very good without additions. I used the MB yeast but US-04 would be a good choice too. I just reordered the Churchill's craft refill, and as soon as my basement cools down to mid 60's I'll start brewing.

I made the Churchills using Mr B yeast that came with it. I noted it tasted fine at bottling, later my feeling is that I preferred browns a little sweeter. But that can easily be fixed with a little lactose if desired.

If you like dark rich ales, brewing the Porter HME with a Robust LME and a Smooth LME is a good one.

I made the Santa Rita, it was good but not the same as Sierra Nevada.

The Northwest by itself for me needs more hop aroma. Easily fixed with dry hop.

I liked the Long Play IPA. made straight up.

I have not made the Bewitched for a while but for me it was too malty although my daughter liked it..

8 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

I made the Churchills using Mr B yeast that came with it. I noted it tasted fine at bottling, later my feeling is that I preferred browns a little sweeter. But that can easily be fixed with a little lactose if desired.

If you like dark rich ales, brewing the Porter HME with a Robust LME and a Smooth LME is a good one.

I made the Santa Rita, it was good but not the same as Sierra Nevada.

The Northwest by itself for me needs more hop aroma. Easily fixed with dry hop.

I liked the Long Play IPA. made straight up.

I have not made the Bewitched for a while but for me it was too malty although my daughter liked it..

I like your porter idea.

I had been toying with the idea of doing the porter but using 2 cans to up the flavor. May also steep a 2-4 ounces of a dark grain. The possibilities are endless.

I have made it these ways:

HME +  8 oz Golden Light DME

HME + 1x Robust + can blackberries - did not like this.

HME + Pale LME and 2 TBS vanilla extract, was OK once vanilla smoothed out - not a big fan.

HME + 2 Robust + 2 cups oatmeal steeped in bag - Douible Deluxe Oatmeal Porter - very nice

HME + Robust + Smooth + 4 TBS Maltodextrin - good brew.

HME, 1x Robust, 1xSmooth LMEs, 1/4 cup lactose, 1/2 oz EKG 5 min boil, 20 min steep 160 deg 1 oz choc and 1 oz pale choc grains. - Millk Choc Porter - very nice

Also look at the Baltic Porter - it is now a good buy if on sale @ $21. It comes out well.  Same cost as Porter with only one Robust. but with strength of HME + 3 Robust. Plus you get a fancy yeast. Also it will be a little more bitter than if you make  the 1 regular + 2 or 3 malts. So you save on hops too. If you want it sweeter, add 2-4 oz lactose - cheap enough.

I just ordered the Baltic Porter, the S-04 version, the Santa Rita kit, Churchill's Nut Brown Ale and a pack of S-04 for the Churchill's. I was hoping for a Black Friday sale, but no such luck. 

Thanks for all of the feedback.

On 18/11/2017 at 1:49 PM, Bassman said:

I'd like to try a couple of Craft Refills. Has anyone tried the following:

Northwest Pale Ale - Is that like a Sierra Nevada? Use US-05?

Churchill's Nut Brown Ale - More Samuel Smith than New Castle? Use S-04 or Nottingham?

Thanks and suggestions always appreciated.

I have brewed the Diablo IPA straight up, and it's really good. I wouldn't recommend the Mexican cerveza straight up as I found it was quite 'cidery'. Only after about 3 months of conditioning was it just ok. The NW IPA, was also pretty good straight up but it also needs a fair bit of conditioning (2 months or so minimum)