zachdrescher

Whoops. Help please

19 posts in this topic

So, about 8 months ago, last winter I brewed the Diablo IPA. I used the stock brown plastic bottles and dropped carbonation pellets into each. I enjoyed 8 out of the 12 of them out of the fridge in the following weeks. I just broke out my equipment to brew a new batch and found 4 brown bottles, full that I forgot that I put in the box. They have been sitting in a cool, dry closet in the dark for about 8 months. Without being refrigerated that whole time frame, do you Guys think they are still okay to enjoy. I opened one and smelled it. It smelled fantastic. 

Was this his an epic fail, or possible genius move? 

Please advise

MRB Tim and D Kristof like this

Nice. I will do that. 

On on a side note, they seem on the flatter side. What effects would take place if I were to add another carbonation pellet to each bottle and let them chill for a bit? 

P.S. this kind of occurred even with the initial batch. I felt like the carbonation was very limited. I just followed the recipe and dropped in the pellets accordingly. Any advice on that? 

Hi zachdrescher. I'm a little confused about your initial post. Do you mean that you did the ferment, bottled, dropped the carb drops in, and then immediately refrigerated 8 of the bottles?

And the 4 remaining bottles have been conditioning at room temp for 8 months?

If so, the 4 bottles should be really excellent by now.  I'd definitely NOT drop more sugar into them as they may explode later. Perhaps just refrigerate 3 days and enjoy, I'm not sure about your sugar quantities, others with more expertise will help with that.

8 hours ago, zachdrescher said:

Nice. I will do that. 

On on a side note, they seem on the flatter side. What effects would take place if I were to add another carbonation pellet to each bottle and let them chill for a bit? 

P.S. this kind of occurred even with the initial batch. I felt like the carbonation was very limited. I just followed the recipe and dropped in the pellets accordingly. Any advice on that? 

Do this for me. Get your video camera ready, open a bottle and drop some sugar in. Then post the results here. 

epete28, hotrod3539 and D Kristof like this

After putting in your sugar, the bottles should sit for 4 weeks at least in 70 degree or higher temps.  They should NOT be refrigerated until after they have sat for at least 4 weeks.

The bottle that you opened would appear somewhat flat until you refrigerate it and let the CO2 get reabsorbed into the liquid.  You CAN add an extra sugar pellet since they dissolve slow (vs. table sugar that would immediately foam over), but you could be overcarbing them.  Check the one you opened.

11 hours ago, WisconsinBadger said:

Hi zachdrescher. I'm a little confused about your initial post. Do you mean that you did the ferment, bottled, dropped the carb drops in, and then immediately refrigerated 8 of the bottles?

And the 4 remaining bottles have been conditioning at room temp for 8 months?

If so, the 4 bottles should be really excellent by now.  I'd definitely NOT drop more sugar into them as they may explode later. Perhaps just refrigerate 3 days and enjoy, I'm not sure about your sugar quantities, others with more expertise will help with that.

Yes. That is correct. The finished product has been stored at room temp in a dark closet. I will get them cold for a few days and then see what happens. 

3 hours ago, RickBeer said:

After putting in your sugar, the bottles should sit for 4 weeks at least in 70 degree or higher temps.  They should NOT be refrigerated until after they have sat for at least 4 weeks.

The bottle that you opened would appear somewhat flat until you refrigerate it and let the CO2 get reabsorbed into the liquid.  You CAN add an extra sugar pellet since they dissolve slow (vs. table sugar that would immediately foam over), but you could be overcarbing them.  Check the one you opened.

Sounds like a plan. I will start there and see what they are like in a few days

I dropped carbonation pills (1 in each 16 oz bottle) about 5 days ago. As of yesterday, there was not a lot of bubbly going on. I could see a residue left at the bottom of the bottle from the sugar, but it seems like the carbonation hasn't really reacted yet

Take your hand and gently squeeze a bottle.  If it's at all firm, it's fine.

If it's not, make sure the bottles are sitting in 70 degree or higher temps.

hotrod3539 likes this

25 minutes ago, zachdrescher said:

I dropped carbonation pills (1 in each 16 oz bottle) about 5 days ago. As of yesterday, there was not a lot of bubbly going on. I could see a residue left at the bottom of the bottle from the sugar, but it seems like the carbonation hasn't really reacted yet

If there is residue, then the yeast is eating the sugar, and producing CO2 as a result. Patience

hotrod3539 and DrMJG like this

2 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Take your hand and gently squeeze a bottle.  If it's at all firm, it's fine.

If it's not, make sure the bottles are sitting in 70 degree or higher temps.

I gave them a squeeze, they are not firm at all. They are however in the fridge. So I will take them out now

hotrod3539 likes this

That's your problem.  Remove them from the fridge, then let them sit for 29 days.  That's 4 weeks, plus today which doesn't count because they are warming up.  Then, refrigerate just what you're going to drink 3 days later, letting the rest continue to sit warm.

You can't carb beer with sugar (or drops, or dots) in a frig, the yeast goes to sleep.

kedogn and hotrod3539 like this

14 hours ago, zachdrescher said:

As Rickbeer said, remove them and only refrigerate as you plan to enjoy them. Tasting how the flavors meld and mature from week to week is what I enjoy most about thehobby.  I will add, gently turn the bottles to distribute the sugar deposits from the bottom. You don't have to do it, but it will help the carbonation and conditioning.

Edited by D Kristof
misspelling.
hotrod3539 likes this

9 hours ago, D Kristof said:

As Rickbeer said, remove them and only refrigerate as you plan to enjoy them. Tasting how the flavors meld and mature from week to week is what I enjoy most about thehobby.  I will add, gently turn the bottles to distribute the sugar deposits from the bottom. You don't have to do it, but it will help the carbonation and conditioning.

Actually, no it won't.

If you use carbonation pills, you drop one in and it will slowly dissolve.  The yeast eats the sugar, and creates a layer of trub on the bottom of the bottle.  Gently turning the bottles distributes the trub, not the sugar.  You want that to stay settled on the bottom of the bottle.

If you use sugar, after filling and capping a bottle people sometimes gently turn them end for end to "mix" the sugar.  It's not needed.

Yeast finds the sugar.  Think of being on a football field at the 50.  They make an announcement that there is free pizza and beer for the first person to reach the endzone.  That's how yeast reacts to sugar.

hotrod3539 and Shrike like this

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Actually, no it won't.

If you use carbonation pills, you drop one in and it will slowly dissolve.  The yeast eats the sugar, and creates a layer of trub on the bottom of the bottle.  Gently turning the bottles distributes the trub, not the sugar.  You want that to stay settled on the bottom of the bottle.

If you use sugar, after filling and capping a bottle people sometimes gently turn them end for end to "mix" the sugar.  It's not needed.

Yeast finds the sugar.  Think of being on a football field at the 50.  They make an announcement that there is free pizza and beer for the first person to reach the endzone.  That's how yeast reacts to sugar.

I believe the initial intent of slowly inverting the bottles after capping was to check for leaks. 

9 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Actually, no it won't.

After side by side testing over the last two years, yes it does help. The trub will still settle out over the next month. The yeast will find the sugar, eventually. If you turn over your bottles and you can visibly see the heavier syrup... think of it as trying to feed ducks on a pond. Throw a loaf of bread in and eventually, all of the ducks find the bread or, separate the slices and feed them faster. Your beer, your choice. 

hotrod3539 likes this

I tend to agree that after a couple days  from capping, upending gently makes the sugar a little more easier for the yeast to handle. consider too that after fermentation they might get a little tired or lazy.  any time my bottles were really slow to firm up, upending remedied it for me. again though whatever works for the brewer...  another thing that helps is raising the ambient air temp a little. 

D Kristof and hotrod3539 like this