Bassman

Drawing a Sample from the LBK

15 posts in this topic

How would you draw a sample, for hydrometer reading, from the LBK? I could open the top and use a sanitized wine thief. If I do it quickly, then I lower the risk of airborne bacteria. I could pour it from the spigot. I have Star San in a spray bottle so I would spray the crap out of the spigot afterwards.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Creeps McLane and DEFbrewer like this

36 minutes ago, Bassman said:

How would you draw a sample, for hydrometer reading, from the LBK? I could open the top and use a sanitized wine thief. If I do it quickly, then I lower the risk of airborne bacteria. I could pour it from the spigot. I have Star San in a spray bottle so I would spray the crap out of the spigot afterwards.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Draw from the spout, then spray with star san and if you can, stick a brush up there. I have a libman spout brush. Love it

your wine theif wouldnt go deep enough to float the hydro

B0C9964D-79D5-46F5-B2BC-79B2EDC4E3F0.jpeg

DEFbrewer and Bassman like this

15 hours ago, RickBeer said:

You should sanitize it after, otherwise the beer that is left in there can start doing funky stuff.  And always sanitize BEFORE bottling.

Whoops.. Something I missed in reading as many posts as possible. I do a sample through the spigot for a hydrometer reading just before I bottle. I have never sanitized the spigot before bottling. Could you explain that process please or insert a link to the forum page that best describes this action.

38 minutes ago, DEFbrewer said:

Whoops.. Something I missed in reading as many posts as possible. I do a sample through the spigot for a hydrometer reading just before I bottle. I have never sanitized the spigot before bottling. Could you explain that process please or insert a link to the forum page that best describes this action.

Here is what I do....

Take a qtip or rolled up paper towel and clean out any remaining beer in the spigot after drawing sample. Take a clean qtip or rolled up paper towel and dunk in sanitizer, then run it inside the spigot, use paper towel dunked in sanitizer to wipe exterior of spigot. If using sanitizer in a spray bottle, spray the heck out of the interior and exterior of spigot. Allow to sit for the amount of time the sanitizer manufacturer recommends then bottle as normal.

If you are going to return the sample to the lbk and not drink it, make sure you sanitize your hydrometer, sampling tube and your spigot (following the above instructions for spigot sanitizing) before drawing the sample.

kedogn, DEFbrewer and Creeps McLane like this

5 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

Here is what I do....

Take a qtip or rolled up paper towel and clean out any remaining beer in the spigot after drawing sample. Take a clean qtip or rolled up paper towel and dunk in sanitizer, then run it inside the spigot, use paper towel dunked in sanitizer to wipe exterior of spigot. If using sanitizer in a spray bottle, spray the heck out of the interior and exterior of spigot. Allow to sit for the amount of time the sanitizer manufacturer recommends then bottle as normal.

If you are going to return the sample to the lbk and not drink it, make sure you sanitize your hydrometer, sampling tube and your spigot (following the above instructions for spigot sanitizing) before drawing the sample.

Hmm. In the Bottling instructions it only includes sanitizing bottles. The spigot should have been sanitized prior to fermentation but that does not account for anything  that landed on it since - even if no beer/wort was tapped out. Maybe spraying the spigot would be good when sanitizing bottles just in case.

BTW I use the refractometer thief, not hydrometer, so open the lid to suck it up. But it does not go back after. I have used one step to sanitize that thief also.

hotrod3539 and DEFbrewer like this

7 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Hmm. In the Bottling instructions it only includes sanitizing bottles. The spigot should have been sanitized prior to fermentation but that does not account for anything  that landed on it since - even if no beer/wort was tapped out. Maybe spraying the spigot would be good when sanitizing bottles just in case.

BTW I use the refractometer thief, not hydrometer, so open the lid to suck it up. But it does not go back after. I have used one step to sanitize that thief also.

The line that sticks in my mind always is "Sanitize ANYTHING that will come into contact with your wort/beer after boiling" (also stated as "from this point on" in some instructions) so i have always sanitized the spigot in and out before bottling/keging. If i open fermenter for dry hopping/additions i will resanitize the lid and opening (and airlock if using that style fermenter) just as safe measure. I use Star San and i will keep some in a spray bottle and some in a covered tub so i have some on hand made up for precautionary purposes during fermentation. I will make up fresh for bottling/keging time. 

Nickfixit, kedogn and RickBeer like this

3 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

I have always gone with the idea that if I am not sure it needs sanitized then it should be sanitized. 

*ALWAYS* a great suggestion :)

I probably use too much sanitizer honestly and I know I am one that replaces it too soon... but I would rather be safe than sorry, that's for sure!  Triple San costs me about $.045/oz.  It takes 1oz of it to make 6-8 gallons of sanitizer.  I would much rather have to make a second batch on a brew day than to screw something up and get an infection, that's for certain!

On brew days I typically have a bucket at the ready that I just toss things into.  I also keep a spray bottle close by for quick and easy access when needed. 

28 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

There is no such thing as too much sanitizing.

I will agree, but I want to add "As long as your solution is mixed properly".  Too much sanitizer for the amount of water used, is not a good thing.  It can leave off flavors.

In this case I'll use Star San in a spare bottle. It will be easy to get up in there after drawing the sample.  To me, Star San is well worth the cost. I also use PBW to clean the LBK afterwards, and carboys when I used to brew larger batches. I bought a big jar a few years ago and it makes cleaning out the LBK a breeze. The only thing is if you get a lot on your hands, it tends to burn the hands a bit. I should probably get some good gloves!

hotrod3539 likes this

On Friday, November 24, 2017 at 5:17 PM, RickBeer said:

You should sanitize it after, otherwise the beer that is left in there can start doing funky stuff.  And always sanitize BEFORE bottling.

This reminds me of the conversation we recently had about a mini-fridge and LBK covered with mold. Just because it looks clean doesn't mean it is clean.

hotrod3539 likes this