Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John K.

Helles Bock - 2015 Spring Seasonal using Ale yeast

6 posts in this topic

Has anybody made the Helles Bock - 2015 Spring Seasonal using ale yeast? Like S-05 or S-04. Temp control would be an issue for me. No refrigerator to keep temperatures where it should be. If so how did it turn out? 

Well, I ordered a couple of Helles Bock - 2015 Spring Seasonals while they were 25% off. Will use either S-04 or S-05 when I make them. I really like Maibocks. They should turn out fine. Maybe a little different than using the lager yeast. I guess I will find out.  

Bonsai & Brew and Shrike like this

Got a Helles Bock Spring in the fridge, interested in how yours turns out. 

I fermented mine in a dorm type fridge at around 55F using an inkbird controller then carbonated it at 70-73 for 2 weeks. After that it was back in the dorm fridge dialing the temp down a couple degrees every day until I hit 40F. Been holding at 40 for over a month now.

hotrod3539 and John K. like this

I have a Safale K-97 yeast that I think I will use and ferment at 60 - 63 degrees. Safale K-97 is a German Ale yeast. I have a German Kolsch that has been fermenting since Friday using K-97. It's had about 3 inches of foam since Saturday.  

I am planning on brewing this one next adding a little Pilsner + Vienna malt, carapils, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Mangrove Jack's M76 Bavarian lager yeast, but that K-97 recipe sounds like a winner to me.  How's that going @John K.?

John K. likes this

On 1/8/2018 at 9:46 PM, Bonsai & Brew said:

I am planning on brewing this one next adding a little Pilsner + Vienna malt, carapils, Hallertau Mittelfruh and Mangrove Jack's M76 Bavarian lager yeast, but that K-97 recipe sounds like a winner to me.  How's that going @John K.?

I added 4 oz. of Carapils and .5 oz. of Liberty hops @ flame-out. I bottled it on January 4th. It smelled awesome. It will be a couple of months until I try it. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Your recipe sounds good too.

Shrike and Bonsai & Brew like this