Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bassman

Storing MB Cans vs. Opening

8 posts in this topic

If you stand a MB can with the label rightsize up, the top of the can is the deeper side, the side that the can opener can't open. So, do you store the can rightside up, keep it that way when you put the can in hot water, but turn it over for opening? Or do you just store it with the opening side up, so that the label is upside down? 

hotrod3539 likes this

1 hour ago, Bassman said:

If you stand a MB can with the label rightsize up, the top of the can is the deeper side, the side that the can opener can't open. So, do you store the can rightside up, keep it that way when you put the can in hot water, but turn it over for opening? Or do you just store it with the opening side up, so that the label is upside down? 

I store right side up (label facing normal, deep side up) then when i submerge the can in hot water (after removing the label or you can remove the label after the hot water, before you open) i flip the can upside down so that the side that you open is up. As it warms this allows the extract to release from the lid some so that there is less to try and scrape off the lid.

Bassman, D Kristof and Cammanron like this

Why does it matter?  When you soak it in hot water, put the opening side up.  How you store it is irrelevant, EXCEPT you should remove the  yeast packet when you receive the can and put it in the frig (after you mark which refill it goes with).

MRB Tim, hotrod3539 and DEFbrewer like this

On Sunday, December 03, 2017 at 10:16 AM, RickBeer said:

Why does it matter?  When you soak it in hot water, put the opening side up.  How you store it is irrelevant, EXCEPT you should remove the  yeast packet when you receive the can and put it in the frig (after you mark which refill it goes with).

Stupid question of the day. Do the MeBeer yeast packets contain different yeast strains for each style, or are they all Cooper's ale yeast?

Most of Mr. Beer's refills contain the same yeast.  However, SOME of Mr. Beer's refills contain different yeast, for example the WHEAT-BASED products.  

From a December 2016 post by JoshR:

The white yeast pack under the Bavarian Weissbier lid is a wheat yeast. The Gold packets are all basic Coopers ale yeasts, and the Gold packet under the lid of the Churchills is an English ale yeast.

I used to label my packets as to which refill they came with, and then use them in date order, oldest first.

Brian N., D Kristof and kedogn like this

I totally submerge the cans when warming them up so I don't care which way it is. Sometimes they are sideways. Although since it is made in Australia they may come out better if inverted. (ho ho).

Coopers kit yeasts are different from Mr Beer though. They have more kinds.

I found this info in case you are using Cooper's 6 gal kits - it may reference older cans though.

They also only package 7g yeast for 6 gals of wort. - compare Mr. Beer 5g for 2 gal.

It seems to work though - I divide it between the LBKs and they go just fine. It may get more fruity taste though since growth phase will be longer.

That may be intentional.

https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/7290/

The following explains the ink-jetted code on the yeast sachets, supplied with each beer kit:

Sachets carry a Julian date code and may also carry letters to denote the type of yeast. For example, if they were packaged on the 25th of September 2007 = 268th day of 2007:

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)
Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)
European Lager - L (26807 P)
Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)
English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Thomas Coopers Selection:-
Wheat - A (26807 W)
IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)
Pilsener - L (26807 P)
Australian Bitter - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Heritage Lager - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Sparkling Ale - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Traditional Draught - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note:
Ac = Coopers ale yeast (our own strain, not the same as the yeast in our commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).

A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry yeast and their details are held in confidence).

D Kristof, hotrod3539 and Brian N. like this

9 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Most of Mr. Beer's refills contain the same yeast.  However, SOME of Mr. Beer's refills contain different yeast, for example the WHEAT-BASED products.  

From a December 2016 post by JoshR:

The white yeast pack under the Bavarian Weissbier lid is a wheat yeast. The Gold packets are all basic Coopers ale yeasts, and the Gold packet under the lid of the Churchills is an English ale yeast.

I used to label my packets as to which refill they came with, and then use them in date order, oldest first.

RickBeer, Thank you.