Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AZNHB

Winter Saison Recipe Help Needed

3 posts in this topic

Hey all!

The perfect brewing time is now in AZ where the ambient temps are below 90 without AC power which means room temps and fermentation temps are in the 70s without ice packs ( I do have fridge capabilities to lager/cellar it).  With that in mind I'm looking to make a Winter Saison for next year.  I've looked on a lot of homebrew websites but there's a lot of variance in grains used- also there aren't a lot of comments on how the brew turned out. I'm looking for a darker saison, and plan on using star anise, coriander and cloves (lightly- I want the yeast to do the talking). I plan on aging for 10 months minimum.  I'm a slightly above novice HB, I've done about 20 brews with 5 being all grain. And I'm looking for a simple to semi complex grain bill. A few recipes I looked at had 8+ grain additions. NB sells a Saison de Noel with 3-4 grain additives- I'm looking for around that up to 6, also hops? People have listed Fuggles, Kent Goldings, Hallertau, Magnum and everything in between. Anybody have any success stories/recipes to share? 

Creeps McLane likes this

10 minutes ago, AZNHB said:

Hey all!

The perfect brewing time is now in AZ where the ambient temps are below 90 without AC power which means room temps and fermentation temps are in the 70s without ice packs ( I do have fridge capabilities to lager/cellar it).  With that in mind I'm looking to make a Winter Saison for next year.  I've looked on a lot of homebrew websites but there's a lot of variance in grains used- also there aren't a lot of comments on how the brew turned out. I'm looking for a darker saison, and plan on using star anise, coriander and cloves (lightly- I want the yeast to do the talking). I plan on aging for 10 months minimum.  I'm a slightly above novice HB, I've done about 20 brews with 5 being all grain. And I'm looking for a simple to semi complex grain bill. A few recipes I looked at had 8+ grain additions. NB sells a Saison de Noel with 3-4 grain additives- I'm looking for around that up to 6, also hops? People have listed Fuggles, Kent Goldings, Hallertau, Magnum and everything in between. Anybody have any success stories/recipes to share? 

I would suggest using mostly pilsner malt, maybe something less fermentable to keep it from beinf too dry, something like a crystal malt or maltodextrine. Also, munich is such a nice grain, so is vienna. Ferment it around 80 during peak fermentation.  Use some sorachi ace, maybe some slightly fruitier hops, but amarillo, columbus plays nicely also. Whatever your taste is honestly. Throw is whatever roasted malt youre fond of and you should be good!

heres some ideas from brew guru

3978B890-F019-4FCF-9203-95CC4C84814A.jpeg

490E832C-7B1C-4BD5-85BB-076CEE3B2795.jpeg

AZNHB likes this