zachdrescher

Aztec recipe advice please

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm on my 5th brew. This far I have just used the stock extract cans and followed the instructions. I have an additional extract refill can that I haven't used yet. It's the Aztec Mexican beer.

with this one, I wanted to try and add a couple twists. I wanted to boost the ABV just a touch. I know, chase the flavor, so I was thinking of using brown sugar or honey. If I were to use brown sugar to boost ABV and make sure it's still only 2% of an increase, how much would you recommend adding to a standard 3 gallon batch?

second question, I saw a couple YouTube videos of people cooking down some fruit  and putting it in a cheese cloth during fermentation. If I were not to use the added sugar, I was going to try and get some lemon or lime into it. But with added sweetness from the brown sugar, I am thinking of maybe a mango or something less tart to compliment the sugar.

does anyone have advice from tweaking the Aztec kit or something similar? Long story short, I'm looking to play with boosting the ABV and added some citrus flavor.

thoughts or suggestions appreciated 

You need to do some more reading.

Sugar ferments.  When it's done, it's gone.  What's left is alcohol and any residual flavor.  In brown sugar's case, that flavor is unsweetened molasses.  Tastes like crap.  And, while you raise the ABV, you actually make the beer drier.  Raising a beer's ABV by 50% with sugar of any type would really impact it negatively IMO.  Make the Deluxe version, which uses malt extract.

There are recipes on the Mr. Beer site which use fruit, including some with Aztec - that use lime, boysenberries, etc.  No need to reinvent the wheel.   https://www.mrbeer.com/refills/recipes?brewingextracttype=75

hotrod3539 likes this

I made one with Aztek using limes and it was light tasting like one of the lime flavored beers.

Mr Beer's fermentables - Malt packs all add about 1% ABV and the booster packs about 0.65% each so it makes the result easy to compute - and you can mix and match for desired flavor/color combination.

I used the Aztek, with 12 oz Booster  (2 packs Mr Beer's fermentable sugar mix with no flavor - adds about 1.2% - you can add more for more ABV) and the grated zest and juice of 2 limes. One lime would be OK too. So this was a fairly light refreshing beer. For adding 2% ABV add 3 booster packs.

Rick Beer I think prefers the maltier beer, but sometimes I like them less malty and this worked.

If you like them meltier and want to add 2%, use 2 packs of the Mr Beer Pale Liquid Malt extract to add 2%. You could use the dried extract (DME) but is more trouble. (Try that some time later after you are comfortable with the process.)

For the lime, I washed them, then grated the outside green part off  only (avoid the white part) and squeezed the juice, and I added that to the water and boiled for a couple minutes to sterilize before I put in the Aztek Extract. You can put the limes in a hop bag if you want, to prevent bits getting in the beer or the spigot (take it out before bottling)

If you use Booster or Dry malt, put it into the water to dissolve when the water is cool and stir constantly while heating. It may clump but eventually it will dissolve. Then at boiling you can sterilize the limes, then take off the heat and add the liquid malt.

You can put sugar or honey in recipes, but it is usually added for a specific purpose in how you want the beer to turn out, rather than as a generic fermentable. The Mr. Beer Booster is a combination of sugars to imitate the sugars in malt but without adding color or flavor.

Have fun :-D

Shrike and hotrod3539 like this

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

I made one with Aztek using limes and it was light tasting like one of the lime flavored beers.

Mr Beer's fermentables - Malt packs all add about 1% ABV and the booster packs about 0.65% each so it makes the result easy to compute - and you can mix and match for desired flavor/color combination.

I used the Aztek, with 12 oz Booster  (2 packs Mr Beer's fermentable sugar mix with no flavor - adds about 1.2% - you can add more for more ABV) and the grated zest and juice of 2 limes. One lime would be OK too. So this was a fairly light refreshing beer. For adding 2% ABV add 3 booster packs.

Rick Beer I think prefers the maltier beer, but sometimes I like them less malty and this worked.

If you like them meltier and want to add 2%, use 2 packs of the Mr Beer Pale Liquid Malt extract to add 2%. You could use the dried extract (DME) but is more trouble. (Try that some time later after you are comfortable with the process.)

For the lime, I washed them, then grated the outside green part off  only (avoid the white part) and squeezed the juice, and I added that to the water and boiled for a couple minutes to sterilize before I put in the Aztek Extract. You can put the limes in a hop bag if you want, to prevent bits getting in the beer or the spigot (take it out before bottling)

If you use Booster or Dry malt, put it into the water to dissolve when the water is cool and stir constantly while heating. It may clump but eventually it will dissolve. Then at boiling you can sterilize the limes, then take off the heat and add the liquid malt.

You can put sugar or honey in recipes, but it is usually added for a specific purpose in how you want the beer to turn out, rather than as a generic fermentable. The Mr. Beer Booster is a combination of sugars to imitate the sugars in malt but without adding color or flavor.

Have fun :-D

Awesome info. I am on Amazon looking at booster packs now!

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

You need to do some more reading.

Sugar ferments.  When it's done, it's gone.  What's left is alcohol and any residual flavor.  In brown sugar's case, that flavor is unsweetened molasses.  Tastes like crap.  And, while you raise the ABV, you actually make the beer drier.  Raising a beer's ABV by 50% with sugar of any type would really impact it negatively IMO.  Make the Deluxe version, which uses malt extract.

There are recipes on the Mr. Beer site which use fruit, including some with Aztec - that use lime, boysenberries, etc.  No need to reinvent the wheel.   https://www.mrbeer.com/refills/recipes?brewingextracttype=75

The bad flavor makes sense once the sugar goes away with the brown sugar. If I were to try table sugar or honey, how much of either of those would you recommend in a 3 gallon batch? 

I currently dont have booster packs. Just household stuff with no brewing stores in my area. 

I wouldn't.  I would never add sugar to a brew, and honey is added to receipes, where it makes sense.  You're chasing ABV, and that's going to result in a light beer (Aztec) tasting like cider.

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

I wouldn't.  I would never add sugar to a brew, and honey is added to receipes, where it makes sense.  You're chasing ABV, and that's going to result in a light beer (Aztec) tasting like cider.

Agree with Rick Beer. 

It is worth waiting a few days and ordering stuff. If the mailing cost is prohibitive, think about ordering additional stuff to average it out, assuming budget permits.

Or order one of the Cooper's brew enhancers here. If you have Amazon Prime, Cooper's  Brew Enhancer 2 at $12.99 per kg box  including shipping that is good and similar but has malt in too. You have to order a lot of stuff to spread Mr Beer shipping of $7.99 out vs free shipping. They have various Enhancers, with different recipes. Coopers is parent company of Mr Beer and makes their extracts.

hotrod3539 likes this