Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
76shovel

Tell me about Wheats

15 posts in this topic

Can't say I've ever drank a wheat beer, I put Wild Wheat in the fermenter last night so  I guess I'll know more about wheat beer in a couple months. 24 hours in there's a helluva head on it.

RECIPE INCLUDES:

• 1 Can Bavarian Weissbier Brewing Extract
  • 1 Can Classic American Light Brewing Extract
  • 1 Packet Dry Wheat Brewing Yeast (under lid of Weissbier Brewing Extract)
  • 1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of Classic American Brewing Extract)
  • 1 Packet Saaz Pellet Hops
  • 1 Muslin Hop Sack
  • 1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

edit to add: this probably belongs in Basic Recipes, my mistake, if the mods can move it that would be great.  - Mark.

1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

Can't say I've ever drank a wheat beer, I put Wild Wheat in the fermenter last night so  I guess I'll know more about wheat beer in a couple months. 24 hours in there's a helluva head on it.

RECIPE INCLUDES:

• 1 Can Bavarian Weissbier Brewing Extract
  • 1 Can Classic American Light Brewing Extract
  • 1 Packet Dry Wheat Brewing Yeast (under lid of Weissbier Brewing Extract)
  • 1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast (under lid of Classic American Brewing Extract)
  • 1 Packet Saaz Pellet Hops
  • 1 Muslin Hop Sack
  • 1 Packet No-Rinse Cleanser

edit to add: this probably belongs in Basic Recipes, my mistake, if the mods can move it that would be great.  - Mark.

So many beers have wheat in them and you dont even know it. I like wheat for its head retention. The thicker the head, the more area the aroma has to sit on. 

I find it crazy that youve never had a wheat? No blue moon, no oberon? Whats the other big commercial one? Its on tap everywhere... ummmm, damn! 

28 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

So many beers have wheat in them and you dont even know it. I like wheat for its head retention. The thicker the head, the more area the aroma has to sit on. 

I find it crazy that youve never had a wheat? No blue moon, no oberon? Whats the other big commercial one? Its on tap everywhere... ummmm, damn! 

yeah.... I hit Google and found I've had a few wheats.

D Kristof and kedogn like this

3 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Are you thinking of Shock Top?

Creeps McLane likes this

39 minutes ago, gophers6 said:

Are you thinking of Shock Top?

No, the one im thinking of is imported i believe. Shock top was a very good guess though. Hold please, ill get this

I used to hate wheats. I drank nothing but stouts... then I gave wheats a fair go. love them.  they are complex little buggers. they can be peppery, tart, tangy...  wheat malt makes a good addition to many flavors and styles.   if you have a good beer store, look for :

weihenstephan hefeweizen or krystallweizen

Schneider weisse aventinus

good places to start.

hefeweizens are fun because they can run the full spectrum of flavors depending on the temp they were fermented. you can go from rich earthy clove and peppery to banana and bubblegum notes.  they are meant to be consumed 'mit hefe' meaning you upend the bottle and dump everything into a glass including the yeast dregs.  caution: if you aren't used to drinking beer yeast take it easy with this. yeast in your gut can go nuts eating undigested food and cause bloating and gas from hell.  .  . until you get used to it.  I like my wheat beers especially when they are served room temp. . . but they can be very refreshing cold.

saaz hops are one of my favorites...  a very mild hop with a nice aroma, it is found in a lot of pilsners.

as for wheat malt, any beer I make with it has super head retention. it gives your beer a lot of body.  my latest batch ( kitchen sink stout made from leftover malts and stuff I had wanted to use up) had a pound of wheat lme added just because. the krausen was through the roof and it smells fantastic ..  1.5 weeks to go to bottle time.

76shovel likes this

6 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

HOEGAARDEN!!! It just came to me. Only took a month. Sorry guys 😆 

That was my guess a month ago but I forgot to post. ;)  Getting older now, my theory on issues with recall is never give up -- it will come to you, give it time, and you will remember it.  And when you remember it, that synapse will be strengthened and ready to fire the next time you need it.  Here are some memory practice questions for those playing along at home:

1.  What is the Latin genus name for the American Robin?

2.  Name the Community Form member who raises hares.

3.  Name the actor that played Balki on the TV sitcom Perfect Strangers?

Bonus question:  Name Guy Lombardo's brothers and the instruments they played.

4 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

That was my guess a month ago but I forgot to post. ;)  Getting older now, my theory on issues with recall is never give up -- it will come to you, give it time, and you will remember it.  And when you remember it, that synapse will be strengthened and ready to fire the next time you need it.  Here are some memory practice questions for those playing along at home:

1.  What is the Latin genus name for the American Robin?

2.  Name the Community Form member who raises hares.

3.  Name the actor that played Balki on the TV sitcom Perfect Strangers?

Bonus question:  Name Guy Lombardo's brothers and the instruments they played.

1: hood

2: @bugsbunny

3: wtf are you talking about?

bonus: wtf are you talking about?

One thing is that many wheat beers have flavoring besides malt  and hops.

Orange peel is very popular together with coriander. 

I tried a bunch of brews 2017 spring trying to make Hoegaarden clone I was close but not quite. Mostly I had too much peel I think.

Still I did make one that my Belgian relatives really liked. I used "Forbidden Fruit" Belgian yeast for that.

Shock Top uses sweet orange peel - this is just the colored zest you grate off fresh oranges - maybe 1 large orange  or 2 small  to an LBK is plenty together with 1 TBS fresh smooshed coriander seeds.

Hoegaarden uses Bitter orange peel - this is dried peel but includes the white pith, which is bitter.

Some Asian groceries have fresh bitter oranges in season.

( I bought some and dried my own peel as it was winter and the heating system was going strong)  It tastes pretty much the same as store dried peel, except for about $2 I have enough for a lifetime). 

You can use the fresh bitter orange peel but not a lot - be very careful - it is STRONG.

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

1: hood

2: @bugsbunny

3: wtf are you talking about?

bonus: wtf are you talking about?

#3: Bronson Pinchot (sic?)

you're showing your age and naïveté,

Creeps 😂

Creeps McLane likes this

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

And Sarge takes a commanding lead with one point!

Some tough competition, apparently lol. I can't claim to know the others off the top of my head, and dare not google them. 

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Without searching the forum, I remember the conversations about rabbits. I am thinking that this isn't the right answer, but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say AC. 

46 minutes ago, Big Sarge said:

Without searching the forum, I remember the conversations about rabbits. I am thinking that this isn't the right answer, but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say AC. 

Good guess, but @AnthonyC raises tortoises!

Big Sarge likes this