WisconsinBadger

1/2 Liter Bottles versus 740 ml PET Bottles

17 posts in this topic

I need to buy some more bottles. Loving this hobby but the conditioning batches are accumulating; which is great.

I've been using the 1/2 liter plastic bottles and they are working great but now I am wondering if there is a reason I should consider the 740 ml PET bottles, or even the Oxygen Barrier of the same size. I turn to you all to offer opinions and experience as to why I might consider one or the others. Thanks!

It's a preference only I think. Those oxygen barrier bottles are for extended conditioning batches. I mostly use 16 oz bottles I got from my LBHS. 16 of them make a batch, and I like even numbers. The 740 ml usually gives me 11 bottles. The big MB bottles, which I don't think they have anymore, hold a whole batch in 8 bottles. That's fine, but one bottle is an eighth of a batch.

What epete28 said. I've been using glass for the last few batches. But, I like the 1/2 liter because I usually want more than 12 ounces. I still have the 1 liter bottles, but have not used them in a while (but now I am thinking to use them for my next brew). 

IMHO, 12oz glass bottles gives me the opportunity to have variety. While the 740ml plastic bottles work well for sharing and taste testing with family and friends in 6oz tumblers. Glass is good for long term conditioning and storage. I seem to favour quick conditioning recipes and as for long term storage, I can't quite keep up with the empty bottles.

WisconsinBadger likes this

2 minutes ago, DEFbrewer said:

IMHO, 12oz glass bottles gives me the opportunity to have variety. While the 740ml plastic bottles work well for sharing and taste testing with family and friends in 6oz tumblers. Glass is good for long term conditioning and storage. I seem to favour quick conditioning recipes and as for long term storage, I can't quite keep up with the empty bottles.

I NEVER drink just 12 ounces, that's why I like the larger bottles. Not saying I won't use standard glass bottles at some point. I have a few swing tops I scavenged. I like them.

D Kristof and WisconsinBadger like this

I admit that I've been liking the 740 ml bottles. 16 bottles in a batch lets me spread the enjoyment over many months. Some of these batches, of course, 16 bottles is just not enough!

So now you all raise a different question, long term conditioning! I've been using the standard bottles, as described above, are they not really adequate for conditioning for 12 months +? My first batch (one bottle left) is at about 14 months now. So far all have tasted better and better with each passing month.

23 hours ago, DEFbrewer said:

I get the variety, I just don't empty the bottle at 1 sitting. I have several 1/2 bottles in the fridge. That is the nice thing about screw cap   :-D

I have only used the 740ml bottles. I add a bit more water in the LBK along with booster in the wort then tip the LBK to just squeeze out 12 bottles. I think that works out to 2.25 gallons instead of 2. I understand this amounts to watering down my beer but really I doubt I know the difference.

I have no problem draining the whole 740ml if I feel like it (hell it's only 2 beers). When I order a tall draft at a restaurant, and I always order a tall draft, it's nearly the same amount. If I save 1/2 for the next day or even a couple days later they've been fine too. 

Shrike and WisconsinBadger like this

76shovel, Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that adds just a bit more water so that I can get the complete 16 bottles (of the 0.5L variety). My last bottle usually has a bit of "untipped LBK" portion. I just mark that bottle as "trub".

76shovel likes this

2 hours ago, WisconsinBadger said:

76shovel, Glad to hear that I'm not the only one that adds just a bit more water so that I can get the complete 16 bottles (of the 0.5L variety). My last bottle usually has a bit of "untipped LBK" portion. I just mark that bottle as "trub".

My Thunder Bay IPA is the only batch that I couldn't get 16 bottles out of. I guess I didn't compensate for all the water those hop sacks would displace. I only got 15, but, you live and you learn.

vI have a wide variety of bottles and they serve a  number of needs. For example: my wive loves the Czech style pilsner, but one 12ox bottle is enough for her (I may consume 2).  My lenten style dopplebock is in 750 and my fest style was 1/2 liter.   Do I have a real sense of seeing size? Maybe.  Each method has 1 basic requirement, can I put beer in it to condition well?

25299865_1644039918972697_723176450742985041_o.jpg

7 hours ago, WisconsinBadger said:

So the questions remains....what's up with the O2 barrier bottles? Worth the extra cost?

I've been buying them out of the fear not to...

9 hours ago, WisconsinBadger said:

So the questions remains....what's up with the O2 barrier bottles? Worth the extra cost?

Seems to work well for my long term lagers (10 months+) which seem to have greater needs.  I go with the basic PET for my 3-3-3 beers.