Mr.Beer Community
Richard A

Lock Stoc and Barrel is flat

I brewed the Lock stock and barrel recipe followed exactly as written when I bottled I did 2 bottles with sugar and 9 with the csrbonstion drops using 2 drops per 740l bottle. The 3 I did with sugar carbonated great however I have opened 3 of the  bottles I did with carbonation drops and they are flat. Any ideas what might have gone wrong here? Any suggestions would be appreciated

1 hour ago, Richard A said:

I brewed the Lock stock and barrel recipe followed exactly as written when I bottled I did 2 bottles with sugar and 9 with the csrbonstion drops using 2 drops per 740l bottle. The 3 I did with sugar carbonated great however I have opened 3 of the  bottles I did with carbonation drops and they are flat. Any ideas what might have gone wrong here? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Could those bottles that didnt carbonate have been stored in a slightly colder spot? How long have they been carbing for? Sugar is sugar, shouldnt matter one bit. The other question is how much sugar in the plain sugar ones did you use? 

All bottles were stored in the same spot and the average temp was 68deg. They have been bottled for 12 mths. I used 2 tsp of sugar in the plain sugar ones and 2 carb drops in the others. I have brewed several different beers in the same environment and have never had a problem. 

4 hours ago, Richard A said:

All bottles were stored in the same spot and the average temp was 68deg. They have been bottled for 12 mths. I used 2 tsp of sugar in the plain sugar ones and 2 carb drops in the others. I have brewed several different beers in the same environment and have never had a problem. 

Not sure I believe in coincidence, but you did everything right. Unless I’m missing something. Maybe those caps are shot, maybe just those ones weren’t tightened enough, maybe your wife accidentally put flour in the sugar bowl? Something is wrong with the sugar... 

12 months is a damn long time. Usually you have to back off the recommended amount of sugar, especially for a stout. Don’t be discouraged

Thanks Creeps it is pretty strange I am going to try another one and only use the sugar and keep my fingers crossed I don’t loose that one. Pretty expensive to experiment with but the ones that did carb were good. Again Thanks and Have a Merry Christmas and Hoppy anew Year.

Odd. I had the exact opposite problem. My LSB and my Novacaine were both aged well over a year. LSB is about 13.5 month and Novacaine is about 16 months. They are just delicious, BUT I have to pour very slowly a 12 oz bottle into a tall 22oz pilsner cup and still have good 2+ inch head on them. And that head does not go away. There are bubbles right down to the last sip.

My guess is the problem is with the bottles you used. The plastic Mr Beer bottles are great starter bottles, but don't really seem to be good for long term like oxygen barrier capped glass bottles. I have stopped using them for this reason.

I made a Blue Moon clone that was just delicious! All my friends that like Blue Moon / Shock Top type beers loved them. They were about 6 weeks in the (Mr Beer) bottle at this time. I decided to cellar about 15 bottles for later in the year at Christmas (last year). It was a 5 gallon batch that I made at that time. When we went to get the beers in mid December, the first seemed pretty flat and seemed to be skunked. Didn't make any sense. At this point they had been in the bottle about 7 months or so. I started desperately going thru bottle after bottle, but it was all the same. Flat skunked beers. It truly broke my heart to pour all that beer down the sink. While it was not a high gravity beer, I think the long term storage killed them.

Lesson learned.

Now if I make a beer that I am going to be drinking that does not have to age out, like say an Amber Ale or Classic Light or something session-able, I will use the Mr Beer bottles for that. They are quick and easy drinking every day kind of beer. ANY beer I make that requires any kind of aging, I will put into a glass bottle and use the oxygen barrier cap. You spend a lot of money and time in making these beers, to see them go down the drain. Any good stout, porter, IPA, barleywine etc etc etc that needs time to age out, put it in a glass bottle.

IMHO a good rule of thumb is ANY beer over say 1.080+ OG, put it in a glass bottle or you may regret it in the long run. The glass bottles and caps are WELL worth the investment. However for me, with the amount of beer I am now making, it is also a bit tedious. I am now looking at the kegging route.  It is bad enough all the yeast starters I am making. Bottling day is becoming to much of a chore.

This of course is all just my opinion and based on my own personal experience. I have only been brewing a couple of years and am not at guru status yet.  :)

PS: I used the Mr Beer carb drops for these beers as well. One for each 12 oz bottle. I do not like using cane sugar as it seems to alter the flavor slightly. Not sure why, or maybe it is in my head, but it almost seems to make my beers a bit cidery?! The Blue Moon was 5 oz of corn sugar in a batch prime.

Thanks TacTicToe I am taking your advise on the glass bottles got another LSB from mr beer and glass bottles hopefully this one will withstand the aging..

Thanks again

Using 740ml oxygen barrier plastic bottles I bottled an LSB batch in November then around Christmas I noticed a soft bottle. The lid was a touch loose.  I added one sugar dot and it firmed up.  Still waiting on he outcome for this mix. I'll be cold crashing my 2nd batch in a couple days.  I only have 740 ml oxygen barrier plastic here so that's where it's headed.