Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brian N.

This never happened before

Had a bottle of of Irish Stout that escaped consumption for abut a year. I put it in the fridge, and forgot about it for another month. OK unusual, but I expected it to be just fine. Well, the moment I cracked the cap , the beer sprayed out like a high pressure fire hose! No explosion, but the mess in the kitchen looked it, beer covered the cabinets, floor and counter top. I guess I am lucky that it was not a bottle bomb with glass everywhere. Not sure why, just speculation - double dose of priming sugar???

58 minutes ago, Brian N. said:

Had a bottle of of Irish Stout that escaped consumption for abut a year. I put it in the fridge, and forgot about it for another month. OK unusual, but I expected it to be just fine. Well, the moment I cracked the cap , the beer sprayed out like a high pressure fire hose! No explosion, but the mess in the kitchen looked it, beer covered the cabinets, floor and counter top. I guess I am lucky that it was not a bottle bomb with glass everywhere. Not sure why, just speculation - double dose of priming sugar???

I am of the opinion that no one can definitively explain what circumstances lead to an occasional gusher.  That is all.

3 hours ago, Brian N. said:

I will say a prayer for your lost beer tonight. Its hard to lose a loved one so unexpectedly and then to watch it helplessly while its in your tender grasp... shame. Im sorry this happened to you

did you use any grain? on one of the other forums from about a year or 2 ago I recall the dreaded gusher bug was being discussed. a commonality between brewers at that time was using English chocolate malt grain either for steeping or in an all grain batch.

while the 'gusher bug' is one of those headaches that no one can really pin the cause down with any certainty,  the thinking was that the grain may have been wet when harvested allowing some goobie to grow on its surface. perhaps this was the case?

or perhaps too much sugar when carbing? or.. it wasn't really done fermenting when you bottled. the yeast continued to munch below your fg and while not enough for a bottle bomb, the co2 level was high enough to cause a gusher.

most of my gushers have been in darker ales. I open my plastic bottles over a large empty salad bowl so that if it happens I can just set the bottle down in it and collect any gush.. which settles into lovely beer. I also open the lid very very slowly to bleed off co2. if gush starts to form I stop. rest. then open a little more.  yes. I have a problem. I like beer too much to see it wasted.  I'm also cheap.

Since it was an Irish Stout, my guess is that an English yeast may have been used to ferment.  Everytime I use an English yeast I have that problem after about 6 months in the bottle.  I don't know the cause but it just happens.  I believe that the English yeast leaves too much residual sugar and that either it starts up again and ferments more of them. Or the bad things that are present (no matter how clean you are) finally gain enough of a foothold to ferment the residual sugars.  I recently found a bottle of a brown ale that is almost 2 years old and still is as good as it has ever been, it was fermented with US-05.  While a London Porter that was fermented after it with S-04 yeast has been gussers since about 6 months after fermentation.  Those are cooking beers now, open them warm and let them gush into whatever I am cooking.

Ok, not wanting to hijack the thread, but for me in using 740ml bottles many times the first 12 oz glass has TV head while the 2nd glass could be 50-60% head... or not.  I keep the bottles refrigerated between glasses.

Usually this is with more potent IPAs.