Mr.Beer Community
Scott-Gardiner

Lost Lid - Options?

Hello Mr. Beer Community

I got started last year at Christmas with Mr. Beer and successfully brewed 2 batches, but now my lid has vanished.  Gone.  Disappeared.  I've looked everywhere for that damn thing.  I looked on the Mr. beer site and I can indeed order a new one but they want $30 to ship a small plastic lid!  Does anyone have a lid that they would sell to me, maybe you don't use the Mr. beer keg anymore or something?  Barring that, does anyone know what I could do as an alternative?

Thanks!

Scott

51 minutes ago, Scott-Gardiner said:

Hello Mr. Beer Community

I got started last year at Christmas with Mr. Beer and successfully brewed 2 batches, but now my lid has vanished.  Gone.  Disappeared.  I've looked everywhere for that damn thing.  I looked on the Mr. beer site and I can indeed order a new one but they want $30 to ship a small plastic lid!  Does anyone have a lid that they would sell to me, maybe you don't use the Mr. beer keg anymore or something?  Barring that, does anyone know what I could do as an alternative?

Thanks!

Scott

You live in Canada or what?

Mr. Beer doesn't "want" $30 shipping for Canada. Unfortunately, without a physical presence in Canada, shipping and export fees are cost prohibitive, so they pass the cost on to the consumer.  A few years back @MRB Rick was exploring doing something, apparently never came to fruition.

If it's the white lid, vs. the black lids, Jiff Peanut Butter lids are supposed to fit.  And as stated Kirkland and Planters nut lids.  

4 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Mr. Beer doesn't "want" $30 shipping for Canada. Unfortunately, without a physical presence in Canada, shipping and export fees are cost prohibitive, so they pass the cost on to the consumer.  A few years back @MRB Rick was exploring doing something, apparently never came to fruition.

If it's the white lid, vs. the black lids, Jiff Peanut Butter lids are supposed to fit.  And as stated Kirkland and Planters nut lids.  

Thanks for the idea on the peanut butter lids.  I'll give that a try!  

push comes to shove you can take some cling wrap and a rubber band.  sanitize the cling wrap side that will be down with a quick spritz of star san solution. put it over the opening and rubber band it down. be sure you don't block any co2 ports on the top of the lbk.  all the lid does is keep goobies from falling into your beer.

I would do an open ferment before I spent 30 dollars to ship a piece of 50 cents worth of plastic. that's just crazy.

On 12/17/2017 at 6:54 PM, Scott-Gardiner said:

Hello Mr. Beer Community

Thanks!

Scott

Scott, We can't put all of the possible shipping options available on the site for a multitude of reasons that I wont get into, but I think we can help you out with this. We are pretty short handed this week, but when my warehouse manger is back next year, let me see if we can send one via US mail instead of UPS shipping. We may be able to get it much less. Send your address in as a ticket here: https://www.mrbeer.com/help-desk  and then reference ticket 191504