Mr.Beer Community

Hi ,

I'm to new to the community,

Been breing Mr Beer for four year's..............I'm Conditioni  the boltic Boltic porter,  I've been conditioning since last Sunday (12/17/17) I took ont out of the refrigerator last night,  I as I opened the bottler (these are swung  top  bottles  I'm Using) I hear loud Pop as I Pulled the front bar up theat hold's the lid secure, the foam came gushing from the bottle, Is that normal? 

And also, how  long should I leave them In there, I'm  refrigerating 50 degrees?

You need to remove ALL of them from the fridge.  Every one.  They need to condition at room temp for 4 weeks.  This is an ALE, not a lager.

You should have fermented for 3 weeks at mid-60s, then condition for 4 weeks, then put one in the fridge for 3 days and then drink.

A gusher implies either an infection, you bottled before it was done fermenting, or you're serving at too warm a temp, so the CO2 is rushing out of suspension.

I vote - you weren't done fermenting.

Did you try to ferment in the bottle?  Or did you put too much sugar in the bottles to carbonate?  Or still yet, did you not sanitize your bottles?

Many questions as to what you did wrong.  We need to know how you came about getting them in the refrigerator to answer if it is ruined or not.

But first, if you are fermenting in the bottles, quickly and carefully open them all in a sink or plastic tub before they explode.

I've never fermented In the bottles,  I used Just the right amount of sugar..........I talked to the brewer at mrbeer,  I explained the problem, he said,  I didn't  condition long enough before refrigerating,  So, the co2  didn't have a chance to disolve cause I only conditioned for 2 week's  before refrigerating,  that's I got the gushing of the foam.

Only conditioning for 2 weeks before you refrigerate would not cause a gusher. 

There are several causes of gushers, shortened conditioning is not one of them. 

1.  Fermentation was not complete and it finished in the bottle.  This would cause over carbonation.  Did you check your final gravity?

2.  Too much priming sugar.  (you already said you added the correct amount)

3.  Infection, either poor sanitization practices or just a bottle that wasn't completely clean.

Number 1 is probably the cause as an infection usually takes longer than 2 weeks to cause gushers.

Once in a while I get a gusher when I open a swing top. Can't explain why as I bottle every batch into a few swing tops, a few regular glass, and a few plastic bottles. If it was underfermented, too much sugar, or infected, all the bottles should gush, not just the swing tops. I'm phasing them out anyway because of the extra cleaning of the gasket and cap.