Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rivercitybrewing

Hi, just started fermenting my first beer!

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I just bought the kit with American lager. I made the wort and put it in the LBK. Unfortunately I forgot to add the booster. I am wondering what I can expect the abv for this beer to be? Also my understanding is 3weeks to ferment and 3 minimum to condition. And a few days in the fridge? Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

Thank you! Oh thats not bad at all, I'm excited to see how this batch comes out if it's a success I'll look at buying a few more LBK's I really like the simplicity of the whole process! 

2 hours ago, Rivercitybrewing said:

Thank you! Oh thats not bad at all, I'm excited to see how this batch comes out if it's a success I'll look at buying a few more LBK's I really like the simplicity of the whole process! 

Brewing can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. That's the beauty of it.

DrMJG likes this

25 minutes ago, gophers6 said:

Brewing can be as simple or as complex as you want it to be. That's the beauty of it.

I have never ever ever found a simple way to do anything....oh wait, that's a "me" thing, the rest of the world probably is more normal....huh, go figure

keep your fermentation temps around 64f for your typical ale yeast.  if you let it get too hot you might end up with apple cider flavors. don't expect greatness on your first few beers. it could happen but look at them as learning experiences. 

as for simple I personally find overcomplicating things much more enjoyable. toss in math, chemistry...   it helps me find my balance. it's a zen thing.

welcome aboard.. have fun. learn all you can. know you will make mistakes and that everyone here has likely made the same ones too. ask questions... and know every question you can ask about brewing has likely been asked before a million times but we don't mind.   in no time you will be answering a new batch of brewers questions here too.

it's ok to watch your beer ferment from the outside.. do not open the lid. do not expose to sunlight. this is called 'perving'. just don't panic if you see something you've never seen before.  yeast kick up foam. foam can have green/brown bits in it. foam will settle. there will be gunky stuff in the bottom.. all good. all signs that you are making beer. have lbk resting in a cooler or pan. sometimes yeast go nuts and you get foam overs and volcanoes. lol.

we are here for you should you have any questions...

Shrike and Brian N. like this

Welcome to Home Brewing and the forum

I think you could still put the booster in, the yeast will find it. I have added stuff after putting wort in LBK before.

It will dissolve. I would not stir it, just empty it in.

But sterilize scissors or what you use to cut the bag.

Don't open the top until you are ready to pour it in, then close it ASAP.

The only risk is getting infection in the beer.  You probably won't but there is still some risk.

I ended up finding a boxing day sale on the kits, $36 at my local Canadian Tire.  So now I have three more LBK's waiting with refills of Canadian blonde,  so I will get lots of practice over the next bit. At least with Canadian blonds haha! Im looking forwards to the first batch. I have it brewing in my cooler as per the advice of the Mr. Beer video I watched on you tube. I do admit though I may have perved my beer a couple times over the last couple days but always after the sun has set. Temptation was too strong not too look and I didint realise that was a mistake. Either way I'm not expecting much from my first ferment I'm hoping its drinkable at least. Thabks for the welcome guys I'm excited to get into this hobby and this seems like a great community to be a part of. 

Creeps McLane and hotrod3539 like this

1 hour ago, Rivercitybrewing said:

I ended up finding a boxing day sale on the kits, $36 at my local Canadian Tire.  So now I have three more LBK's waiting with refills of Canadian blonde,  so I will get lots of practice over the next bit. At least with Canadian blonds haha! Im looking forwards to the first batch. I have it brewing in my cooler as per the advice of the Mr. Beer video I watched on you tube. I do admit though I may have perved my beer a couple times over the last couple days but always after the sun has set. Temptation was too strong not too look and I didint realise that was a mistake. Either way I'm not expecting much from my first ferment I'm hoping its drinkable at least. Thabks for the welcome guys I'm excited to get into this hobby and this seems like a great community to be a part of. 

Perving your beer is NOT a sin,  it's your beer, perv it all you want! Just do not open the LBK. The dark amber color of the LBK will keep the sunlight out for the most part while you are having a peak but I wouldn't leave it in direct sunlight for a while.

SilverBrewerWI and Shrike like this

4 hours ago, hotrod3539 said:

Perving your beer is NOT a sin,  it's your beer, perv it all you want!

ALL the cool kids do it...come on, look at it, looooook at it.....ooooooooo, do it again

hotrod3539 likes this

Since you now have a few of the CBs to brew, you can look at maybe trying a few things with one of the later brews.

If you can lay your hands on 0.5 oz Tettnanger (or Saaz or Hallertauer or other Lagerish  hop) pellets and a hop bag, Put the pellets in the bag and tie it, and put it in a bowl you have sluiced with just boiled water to sterilize (or use other means) then put enough more of the just boiled water over the hops to totally cover them and let it sit covered for 30 min.

Add the hop liquid into the wort before water top up.

Compare with the standard beer version.

This is an easy addition and fairly safe. It does not involve opening the LBK midway, or trying to dissolve malt with a hop bag in the pot too, or moving a hop bag  from the wort mixing pot to the LBK (splash or other issues) - fun that you might have later.

Besides the flashlight, try sniffing around the edge of the lid while there is still foam on the beer surface. It should smell good if you like beery hop smells.

Shrike likes this