Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TacTicToe

Kegging

4 posts in this topic

I am moving into kegging now as bottling is becoming a bit of a chore. My questions on kegging is how to age the beers. I know some of the higher gravity beers will still need to be aged out, or else you're just drinking a carbonated green beer. My question is, once I have added the beer to the keg from the fermenter, should I add the CO2 and then let it age, or let it age in the keg without the CO2 and then carb it when you're ready to use?

My concern is adding the CO2 before aging it out could alter the pH enough that it might affect the flavor in a negative way. I want to keg and age a RIS and a Barleywine, but I don't want to tie up a keg for 6-12 months to have a beer that taste like crap in the end.

Thanks.

6 hours ago, TacTicToe said:

I am moving into kegging now as bottling is becoming a bit of a chore. My questions on kegging is how to age the beers. I know some of the higher gravity beers will still need to be aged out, or else you're just drinking a carbonated green beer. My question is, once I have added the beer to the keg from the fermenter, should I add the CO2 and then let it age, or let it age in the keg without the CO2 and then carb it when you're ready to use?

My concern is adding the CO2 before aging it out could alter the pH enough that it might affect the flavor in a negative way. I want to keg and age a RIS and a Barleywine, but I don't want to tie up a keg for 6-12 months to have a beer that taste like crap in the end.

Thanks.

You throw it in the keg, put in some CO2  then pull the pressure relief a few times to get any oxygen out of there,Then i usually have my regulator set to 8-10 and i let it charge up, then i take it off the gas and let it sit until I’m ready for it. 

hotrod3539 and kedogn like this

Either way, carbonate or not, is good (if you don't, just always remember to clear the head space as mentioned above).  Personally, I am with Creeps on this one, I like to gas mine, slowly, then once it's good to go, I set the keg aside until I am ready to drink.  Though, I can say, that my 3X IPA (12%) I have going, which is ready to keg now, has been in the conical for 9 weeks.  I just dropped the yeast when needed.  Cold crashed when needed.  Dropped more and let it age in there (still in the cooler) as I was in no rush to get the conical back... and didn't have enough Sixtels to keg it at the time anyway (that's what last weeks Portland run for kegs was all about lol).

Whatever you chose, you will enjoy kegging.  Costs more, initially, but makes life so much easier... plus is wicked fun to have your own tap(s) at home :)

Too bad none of you are local, I have a bunch of Corney kegs I could pay it forward with as I don't use them any more.