Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epete28

57% Attenuation

8 posts in this topic

My yeast seems to have a gotten a little lazy on my Sticky Wicket Oatmeal Stout. I just gave it a good rousing. We'll see what happens. This seems to be an ongoing thing for me lately.

Epete,

Which yeast are you using.  Windsor tends to be a low attentuater.  Especially if you let the temperature drop. 

8 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Epete,

Which yeast are you using.  Windsor tends to be a low attentuater.  Especially if you let the temperature drop. 

Well, this time it's MB yeast, but I've had it happen with S-04 and US-05 as well. 

If possible when fermenting, keep an eye on things and let the temperature rise a couple of degrees as the fermentation completes.  I ferment at 62 but as fermentation is completing, I raise my temperature up to 66 or 68 for at least a week to let the yeast finish.

I usually try to maintain those temps as well. Only thing I've been doing differently is pitching a little too cool. It's been taking the yeast a couple days to get going, but other than that, I don't know. Now, I will say that I got 81% out of that last batch, Let It Bee Honey Blonde Ale.

I pitched a little cool on my batch from Tuesday night. I pitched S-04 at 60' into Churchill's Nut Brown Ale. I had activity by Wednesday morning and a really nice kreusen last night and this morning, at least an inch thick. The temperature rose to 68' by Wednesday morning and I put the LBK in a Cool Brew container to keep it from getting too high. I did oxygenate for a good 30 seconds, as opposed to just stirring a lot. That doesn't mean it won't get stuck, but my point is that pitching a little cold may not be a problem.

I seem to be making progress, I just checked it again and I'm down .002 on gravity. Hopefully I can get it down about .006 more.

i usually pitch a little warm and slowly drop fermenter to optimal temps.. and my yeast usually takes off in under 3-6 hours. rehydrating correctly helps too unless youre over pitching. occasionally i'll have stubborn yeast that take a day to really get going.  pitch the right amount of cells at the right temps into aerated wort...

as was mentioned , in the last week bump up the temps a little . i take my fermenter out of its chiller box and sit it on my kitchen table for about 5 days. i bottle there so this has a couple perks. any gunk that gets slooshed up from the side of the bucket has a chance to settle into the trub. the yeast get a little agitation in transporting the bucket.. and the warmer temps encourage them to clean up.

epete28 likes this