Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thebestofstuff

Have a Mr. Beer Refill, Don't Have the Actual Mr. Beer Kit

5 posts in this topic

I've done some beer homebrewing before with kits like the Brooklyn Brew Shop and my wife thought a nice Christmas gift for me would be a Mr. Beer American Ale refill kit! Unfortunately, while I have the carboys, tubing and such from a few other kits tucked away in my closet I don't actually have any of the Mr. Beer equipment. 

With that in mind, how can I put this hopped malt extract and yeast to good use without the standard Mr. Beer equipment? I found this video on Youtube, which seems pretty foolproof, but I also don't have this booster stuff it uses:

I know this is a derpy question, but I couldn't find any threads that tackle this.

@thebestofstuff Wow.... that video, while that might work in a pinch (as in i am desperate and neeeeeeeedddd beer but dont own any equipment...) is NOT (in my humble little opinion) the best way to go. If you have fermenters already that will hold 2-2.5 gallons (or 2-1 gallon fermenters you can split the wort and yeast between them) air locks and such, thats really all you need... the refill is not picky what it ferments in.... Follow the instructions that come with the refill and use what equipment you already have. you will need up to 2 gallons of water total. Generally the refill kits come with the booster packs and a packet of no rinse cleanser/sanitizer....(at least the ones direct from Mr Beer do) The Booster will only add some ABV % and a small bit of mouth feel and is not necessary in order to brew the refill. the refill will be about 3.2% ABV on its own... no booster. the booster adds about 1.3% ABV (if using 2 small pouches....Each pouch of Booster adds about 0.65% ABV per batch. 2 of the newer small packs equal the older one big pack seen in the video.) .... And remember, You can always head over to https://www.mrbeer.com/ and pick up any additional items such as a LBK (about $10 US) and booster ( $1.75 US per pack) if you so desire....  Or if you prefer you can pick up a kit that includes a LBK for  $45-$50 USD (no bottles) or one that has a LBK and Bottles for $60-$65 US.... The choices are yours and yours alone!! (we here on the forum can help guide you as needed)

as long as you practice sanitation and give your yeast a clean environment with plenty of good sugars to eat from malt, you can ferment in anything.  when i first started 4 years ago with mr beer, i researched plenty beforehand.  they were having issues with leaky spigots then due to many things from bad design to operator error. reluctant to go through the headache of losing a batch to a failed spigot... yet really wanting to give mr beer a try...  i got a glass carboy. then i got some kits and ingredients. so glad i did. because of mr beer and the good ppl of this forum past and present, i now count myself a brewer of beer, mead, hobo wine and other alcoholic bevvies.

you can brew in the water bottle..  a pot...  a bucket... a carboy... just about anything rated as foodgrade. you will want it covered but with a means to allow co2 to escape. you will want to be sure to have about 2-4 inches of headspace on top of your wort level because fermentation makes foam (krausen) and some ferments can be as violent as a volcano. the lbk is just a convenient way to make your beer. i used to ferment mead in a large pot with a sanitized towel over the top (open fermentation).  i make hobo wine in small batches in sanitzed 2 liter soda bottles with saran wrap loose over the top.  you can make brewing as complicated or as expensive as you wish.

hotrod3539 likes this

On 12/28/2017 at 9:18 PM, hotrod3539 said:

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I've got two one-gallon carboys that I'll use to brew and I'll keep you posted.

hotrod3539 likes this