Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bassman

66' Too Cold for Bottle Conditioning?

9 posts in this topic

I live in an apartment on the top floor and the temperature is about 66' right now. Is that too cold for bottle conditioning? I'm hesitant to move them into the living room or bedroom because of fear of bottle bombs. The plastic bottles are pretty firm, so my guess is they have carbonated.

It's not too cold, it'll just take longer for them to condition.  My whole stockpile is in a room where the temp is currently about 65.  When I bottle my next batch in about a week I'll just give it an extra four weeks or so before trying the first one.

Bassman and SilverBrewerWI like this

5 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

How long have they been at 66?  Why are you afraid of bottle bombs?

They've been in the bottle for 2 weeks. The reason I'm worried about bottle bombs is because it finished after 4 weeks in the LBK at 1.014. So I've been storing the bottles in a plastic bin with a cover.

as long as you didn't add too much priming sugar.. 1.014 is close enough to 1.01.   doubt you will get bombs.  a lot of factors can cause a higher than expected final gravity. if you test it at least twice with some time between tests, and it stays the same gravity..  I wouldn't worry.  IF you are worried that they will over carb, bleed some of the c02 out by unscrewing the cap a tiny bit. let some co2 out then tighten back up.

under 70f they will carb slower. conditioning isn't so much dependent on temp as carbing time. I have a batch of stout in 66f temps.  they are carbing slow as expected but after week 2 in the cooler they are already developing into fine ales. . . albeit still a little flat.

Bassman likes this

Not meaning to hijack the thread but along these lines I've had colder temps also of 58-62 deg. So I've put the bottles in a beer cooler and added a small 40 watt light bulb and then cycle it on and off to maintain 73-76 deg. I've also put a paper barrier between light and bottles so they don't receive direct light. Do you guys think this an OK method to up the temps needed to get the carboation job done? 

Thanks

C-Note

Your method will work.

I use a strand of Xmas lights in a cooler to do the same thing.  I used to cycle them on and off and now I have a temperature controller so my bottles stay at the perfect 76 degrees and carbonate completely in 2 weeks.

C-Note 1959 and Shrike like this

2 hours ago, BDawg62 said:

C-Note

Your method will work.

I use a strand of Xmas lights in a cooler to do the same thing.  I used to cycle them on and off and now I have a temperature controller so my bottles stay at the perfect 76 degrees and carbonate completely in 2 weeks.

Thanks. I have a controller on the way and then I don't have to baby sit it.

BDawg62 likes this

c note.. that's fine as was mentioned. for the record it is UV light that skunks beer..

i heat up water in a microwave, put in a bottle and use that in the cooler to raise the temp.  water is cheaper than electricity for me  :)

C-Note 1959 and hotrod3539 like this