Mr.Beer Community
epete28

Sulfur Smell From LBK

I know I have read many posts about certain yeast strains giving off a sulfuric odor, but it seems like it's mostly liquid, or lager yeast. Is it normal for ale yeasts too?

3 hours ago, Shrike said:

I've had that smell from a couple of ale batches.  I can't remember which ones, though.  The first time it happened I thought it'd gotten infected. But everything turned out just fine.

This is a batch of Bewitched Amber Ale. It smelled great at 1st, but now it reminds me of many of the chemical plants and oil refineries I was in during the 13 years I spent driving tanker trucks! Haha

1 minute ago, epete28 said:

This is a batch of Bewitched Amber Ale. It smelled great at 1st, but now it reminds me of many of the chemical plants and oil refineries I was in during the 13 years I spent driving tanker trucks! Haha

I checked my notes and the last one that had that smell was Columbus' Cascading Amber, which uses the BAA HME.  The end result was a very tasty beer.  So I just look at that sulfur smell as the the yeast casting off the undesirables and leaving tasty goodness.  :) 

us04 normally doesn't produce sulfur but I used it once in hobo wine. there aren't a lot of nutrients in sugar and juice for yeast so it protested. not only did I get purple krausen, which was really cool... it also pooped out so2 gas like mad. some other ale yeast might do it too.. and as mentioned, lager yeasts. I had one other batch of beer that produced copious amounts of devils farts but cant recall which yeast it was.  I think it was a witbier yeast.

coopers yeast if stressed might do it.  which yeast are you using?

what temp did you pitch at?

what temp is it fermenting at?

did you aerate before pitching?

there's plenty of food in wort for yeast. so most likely some other factor is stressing them out. 

On 1/2/2018 at 5:25 PM, epete28 said:

I know I have read many posts about certain yeast strains giving off a sulfuric odor, but it seems like it's mostly liquid, or lager yeast. Is it normal for ale yeasts too?

Not necessarily normal, but also not harmful. Sulfure dioxide should always off-gas on its own before bottling. After 3 weeks fermentation, the So2 should be gone.

@zorak1066 It was the yeast that came with the BAA refill. I let it sit out about a day before I used it. I pitched around 70°. That's warmer than I usually would do, but I did it because I've had so many issues with putting my yeast to sleep lately. When it got going, I cooled it into the 60s. I aerated pretty well I think, I usually go nuts with a whisk before I pitch.

'fromunda' yeast.. the yeast from under the lid.. has been known to produce SO2 when stressed. 70f is fine for pitching.  you aerated... good.   perhaps the yeast was old? or because yeast is a living organism, perhaps it was just being a douche and throwing a tantrum? yeast can do that.

the last 3-4 days of the 3 week ferment, move the lbk to a warmer area and let the yeast get encouraged to clean up after themselves. 

as was mentioned, so2 should off gas.

Just now, zorak1066 said:

'fromunda' yeast.. the yeast from under the lid.. has been known to produce SO2 when stressed. 70f is fine for pitching.  you aerated... good.   perhaps the yeast was old? or because yeast is a living organism, perhaps it was just being a douche and throwing a tantrum? yeast can do that.

the last 3-4 days of the 3 week ferment, move the lbk to a warmer area and let the yeast get encouraged to clean up after themselves. 

as was mentioned, so2 should off gas.

Lololol! I had my wife check it a little while ago, I'm not in town. She said smell has mellowed. I'm not worried about now.

one of my ferments spewed out devil farts so strong the wife insisted i seal it in the chiller box and only open the lid when done. my fermentation room had a delightful sulfur smell that made one think beezel bob himself had come for dinner. i think that was my first hobo wine.  i didnt know that i needed to augment it with nutrients because sugar alone was making the yeast mad at me.   the next batch i made i added my centrum+grapenuts+frozen fruit (thawed)  and had no problem til the nutrients got chewed through.  then i boiled some yeast and added that to stop the second round of farts.  none of which impacted the taste of the hobo wine. besides.. who makes hobo wine for flavor anyway? right?  i can just imagine a couple winos sipping it daintily saying things like 'ah! a delightful piquancy reminiscent of oak and tobacco... a light forefront hint of elderberries followed by a cherry / chocolate finish! an excellent nose  of fresh autumn leaves and caribou fur.. an excellent vintage!'. right... uh huh. more like 'oooooooweeee! thats some strong s**t!'...

On 11/01/2018 at 0:01 PM, epete28 said:

Whatever was going on has passed. It smells just fine now. I'm anxious to taste it since so many love this brew.

I just made a version of the Amberosia tripel, and I found at first it was quite pungent and somewhat sulfury.... Perhaps it was the yeast, or the sterling hops.... 

Smells purdy gud now tho....

5 hours ago, Cammanron said:

I just made a version of the Amberosia tripel, and I found at first it was quite pungent and somewhat sulfury.... Perhaps it was the yeast, or the sterling hops.... 

Smells purdy gud now tho....

So2 (sulfur) is always a byproduct of the yeast and will almost always dissipate out by bottling/kegging time. It's more common with lager yeasts and many Belgian strains, but it can also happen with some ale yeasts, too. 

On 16/01/2018 at 7:11 PM, MRB Josh R said:

So2 (sulfur) is always a byproduct of the yeast and will almost always dissipate out by bottling/kegging time. It's more common with lager yeasts and many Belgian strains, but it can also happen with some ale yeasts, too. 

Just gave this a try after fermenting for 12 days now, and it tastes quite good already.... Still pretty sweet as there is ALOT of fermentables in it, but so far has NONE of the extract 'twang'. 

Just made a batch similar to "Tangerously Hoppy IPA" and I'm hoping it turns out nice. 

I used Long play IPA, honey, mandarin juice and zest, coriander seeds, crystal, tettenang and Willamette hops- for a 10 min boil. The OG is 1.049... Gonna call it "BITTERSWEET MEMORIES"

i have a bunch of Left over hops on hand. 😁

On 1/16/2018 at 6:11 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Mrb josh.... I just my cooler lid earlier tonight. Caught a whiff of sulfur smell. NW IPA HME with belle saison yeast. Comforted that is is normal and will go away. I’m 3 days into ferment. 

12 hours ago, Jdub said:

Mrb josh.... I just my cooler lid earlier tonight. Caught a whiff of sulfur smell. NW IPA HME with belle saison yeast. Comforted that is is normal and will go away. I’m 3 days into ferment. 

Yeah, that Belle Saison yeast is notorious for sulfur production, but it should clear up before the end of fermentation.