Ryan gardner

Priming suger

28 posts in this topic

I have a 2 gallon keg. Right now powerful patorit ale is fermenting. My question is how much priming sugar do I add into the wort when I'm ready to bottle. I will be bottling into 12oz bottles. Or is it better to use the priming tabs. I used them before but they did not give me much carbonation. I guess I was just thinking when it comes time to bottle it would be easier to just put the priming sugar into the keg. Also another topic. I have two kegs. Should I drain the wort into the clean sanitized keg, and then add the priming sugar. Problem easy answers, I'm tying to make this into a great hobbie. This way I would not have all the stuff at the bottom in the good mixture with the priming sugar. Thanks in advance 

Batch priming is when you add a sugar solution (i.e. boil water, dissolve sugar, let cool) into a bottling vessel (another LBK is fine) and GENTLY mix.  NEVER add sugar to the wort with all that trub sitting on the bottom and then stir.  

If you want to use your second LBK, it will need to be sanitized, and you'll need a hose and bottling wand (or just a hose) to gently transfer the contents the contents without aerating.  

If you're new at this, I would simply add sugar to each bottle, then add the beer.  Common table sugar works fine.  Your instructions, and the Mr. Beer site, provide you a table of how much sugar per bottle.

sugar.png

TonyKZ1 likes this

I have never used carb tabs.  I started with table sugar in my bottles, then advanced to batch priming with table sugar.  People also use sugar cubes from the grocery store, but they come in various sizes so make sure you know which ones you need for your size bottles.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, Ryan gardner said:

Which do you prefer the sugar or the carbon tabs.

I have only used to MrBeer tabs a couple of times with unsatisfactory results. I prefer using conditioning tabs purchased from my local HBS. The tabs are malt based not table sugar. For me, three in a 12 ounce bottle typically works. In comparison by weight, one MrBeer tab = 3 1/2 of the tabs I use.

I am with Shrike on this  Domino dots are it. Be careful though there are 2 sizes -  make sure you get 198 dots to the 1 lb. pkt.. The bigger cubes don't fit so easy into the 12 oz bottles.

Typically I use 1-2 cubes per 750, 2-3 cubes per 1L and 0.5 -1 per 12 oz.

These days I have been using on the lower side as the beer has been over carbonated if anything. But it depends some on the style.

At 198/lb the dots are 2.5 g each

A tsp of sugar = 4.2 g

So 3 dots are about 2 tsp.

2 dots are about  1 1/4 tsp

But the big advantage is no mess or spills and they fit the bottles fine.

Shrike likes this

I use table sugar. I mostly bottle in 16 oz PET bottles, and I use 1 teaspoon per bottle. I use a stainless steel flask funnel to get it in the bottles. It's pretty simple, but the sugar cubes sound eazy peazy.

You can move the beer from one container to another  to prime it, but I figure the more you mess with it, the more likely you are to get infections.

My process is simple. put the sanitizer in the washed bottle, leave 10 min, empty out sanitizer, put in cube(s), fill with beer from spigot (old style LBK), cap it and wait.

I did get a spring loaded wand for bottling now I have new black LBKs with no nozzle (grrrr)  I will see how that works in about 3 weeks. If I don't like it I will just cut a piece off the tube to use as a nozzle.

1 hour ago, Nickfixit said:

You can move the beer from one container to another  to prime it, but I figure the more you mess with it, the more likely you are to get infections.

My process is simple. put the sanitizer in the washed bottle, leave 10 min, empty out sanitizer, put in cube(s), fill with beer from spigot (old style LBK), cap it and wait.

I did get a spring loaded wand for bottling now I have new black LBKs with no nozzle (grrrr)  I will see how that works in about 3 weeks. If I don't like it I will just cut a piece off the tube to use as a nozzle.

I have a new one also. I hadn't used it yet, but I did stick the wand in the spout to see how it fit and whatnot. I had water in the LBK. I don't like how if I insert the wand all the way into the spout, it blocks the flow. It also doesn't seem to fit very tightly in the spout.

My wand fits but it is not a Mr B wand  - it is the right size though (3/8 dia I think. They had 2 sizes, this was the smaller one)  - but very tight.

If you are concerned about wand dropping out, use some tape over the wand/spigot to prevent it.

I bought a few packs of the carbon drops before I started reading on this forum. Sounds like sugar cubes get better reviews. I hate to waste the drops, but want the best results. Now I'm unsure what to do. Has anyone had good results with the drops? Should I toss them and go with the sugar cubes?

53 minutes ago, Marius said:

I bought a few packs of the carbon drops before I started reading on this forum. Sounds like sugar cubes get better reviews. I hate to waste the drops, but want the best results. Now I'm unsure what to do. Has anyone had good results with the drops? Should I toss them and go with the sugar cubes?

I've used drops, sugar is just easier because, well, I've always got it. If you just want to get rid of those drops, I'll take em😉.

Marius likes this

On 11/01/2018 at 10:38 PM, Marius said:

I use the drops because when I ordered the refills, they come with the drops. The only time I used granulated sugar, was when I made the Aztec cerveza... and I didn't like the way that batch went. 

I have never had any problems with the drops, and bottle priming is easy to do and easy to check if you have primed or not. The only thing g that I have heard, is that you may have some bottle variation in carb levels.

Marius likes this

Did I miss something or am I being too obsessive? It seems like everything that touches the beer has to be sanitized, but I've never heard anything about the sugar or carbo drops. Can you save left over drops for later? What about open packaging? I'm bottling my first batch on Sunday and want to get it right. Thanks for any input. 

21 minutes ago, Marius said:

Did I miss something or am I being too obsessive? It seems like everything that touches the beer has to be sanitized, but I've never heard anything about the sugar or carbo drops. Can you save left over drops for later? What about open packaging? I'm bottling my first batch on Sunday and want to get it right. Thanks for any input. 

I think it's good practice to bring your sugar/water mix to boil, then cool it when you're batch priming. I just put the carb drops straight into bottles, I'm assuming that they are already quite sanitary. As for using just white sugar directly into the bottles, it never occurred to me that it needs to be sanitized..... I also assume that the alcohol already in the beer makes it an inhospitable place for bacteria to grow, atleast to the extent of what may be on the sugar granules.

Sugar is inherently anti-microbial, so you don't have to worry about it in and of itself.  Just what's touching it.  If I'm using table sugar, I use the sanitizing solution on the funnel and measuring spoon that I use.  When using Domino's Dots (which is pretty much all I do now) I just make sure my hands are clean.

RickBeer, Marius, Cammanron and 1 other like this

Cool. Any concern with a bag of drops that arrived somewhat open? Looks like from some rough handling in delivery. Just sprinkled the box with some sugar particles. Thanks again. 

10 minutes ago, Marius said:

Cool. Any concern with a bag of drops that arrived somewhat open? Looks like from some rough handling in delivery. Just sprinkled the box with some sugar particles. Thanks again. 

I think you're ok.... I COULD be wrong, but you're ok. When I bottle prime (with drops), I dip my fingers in the sanitizer and shake them off..😁

Marius likes this

4 hours ago, Shrike said:

Sugar is inherently anti-microbial, so you don't have to worry about it in and of itself.  Just what's touching it.  If I'm using table sugar, I use the sanitizing solution on the funnel and measuring spoon that I use.  When using Domino's Dots (which is pretty much all I do now) I just make sure my hands are clean.

Do you wait for the sanitizer to dry first? I wiped the funnel down with cheap vodka and let it dry. 

Let me say first, that I am no expert by any means.... but the time that I used just white sugar I used sanitizer, and a funnel and let it sit for about 5 mins and then shook off the excess liquid.... I don't know how to keep the sugar from sticking to the funnel though. I don't think the extra bit that sticks to the funnel is a big difference maker though.

Shrike and Creeps McLane like this

Guys, there is a difference between sanitized and hospital sanitary.

If you're going to use table sugar, the Mr. Beer sugar measure works great.  https://www.mrbeer.com/sugar-measure

When I used it, I took a piece of paper towel and laid it on the counter.  Dipped the sugar measure in sanitizer, then shook it to get all the big drops out.  I then put it upside down on the paper towel.  1/2 hr later it was dry enough.  

Bassman likes this

On 1/3/2018 at 6:06 PM, Shrike said:

1 cube/12oz bottle.

2 cubes/16oz or 500ml bottle.

Simple as can be.

domino-dots-sugar-cubes.jpg&f=1

Yup I just picked these up at my local Kroger and used them to bottle. Used 4 per 740 ml bottle. Easy but so are the drops.