Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
marc de la cerveza

Stirring after yeast?

I forgot to stir after pouring the wort into my LBK.  Then I put in the yeast.  The instructions say to not stir after putting in the yeast, but since I hadn't stirred it at all, I wanted to make sure everything was well mixed... so I stirred it.

Is that going to cause a problem?  Did I just waste $17 and 3 weeks of my time waiting for fermentation?

Aeration of the wort will help get the yeast started. If you forget,  you'll probably not notice any difference. If you added cool tap water to the LBK before the wort, there is plenty of dissolved oxygen to get the yeast going, before they enter their anaerobic phase. BTW - Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum and since he didn't tell ya, go read the links in Rickbeer's signature line or the beer enforcement patrol will come steal your LBK in the middle of the night.  That, and they are really good reading packed full of information (and vitamins and minerals).

As RickBeer points out sanitation is the great concern. I believe the purpose behind the instructions is to convince you to follow the directions more closely next time and not touch your wort after it goes into the LBK. Don't perv it. Don't worry about it. Let it do its thing.