Bonsai & Brew

Summit Winter Ale

5 posts in this topic

It's unlikely that Lumosity is going to hire me as a memory aid excercise writer anytime soon, so I'll stick to beer recipes. :) This is an attempt at the Summit Winter Ale clone that got me all excited a week ago.

Summit Winter Ale

Rahr 2-Row, 3.75 lbs.

Caramel 60, 0.25 lb.

Black Patent, 1 oz. (cold steeped)

Carafa II, 3 oz. (cold steeped)

Mr. Beer Smooth LME

Mr. Beer Pale LME

Willamette, 0.75 oz., 60 min.

Tettnang, 1oz., 20 min.

Fuggle, 0.5 oz., 10 min.

Danstar London ESB Ale yeast

OG 1.060 (I got 1.052); New OG should be closer to 1.068

SRM 23

IBU 38

ABV 6%

Shrike and John K. like this

The Danstar London ESB yeast quickly ripped through this batch, with high krausen occuring after just 24 hours.  If I leave it as-is, I'm looking at FG 1.019 and a sweet, 4.3% ABV English-style ale -- tasty, but hardly enough to 'warm my winter.'  What is it with me and English ale yeasts anyway? :blink:  I guess I'll review @BDawg62's posts again and try to get a handle on this issue. <sigh>

Bonsai,

That is right about 64% attentuation which is in the lower end of the range for english yeast, but not at all abnormal.  Attentuation percentage range that I could find was 65% to 72% for this yeast.  It will probably drop another point in the next couple of weeks.  I would make sure to warm it to about 68 at this point and let it finish.

English yeast always have a much lower attentuation than most American Ale yeast.  To combat this, I usually raise the temperature a degree a day after fermentation starts to get it up to 68 or so by the time it is finished and then hold it there for at least a week.  Even with that method, I usually only obtain attentuation in the low 70% range.  The biggest issue with English yeast is to not allow them to cool at all while fermenting.  Once they notice a drop in temperature, they drop, go to sleep and they are done.

Big Dawg

Bonsai & Brew likes this

Thanks for the refresher, @BDawg62.  Some of my frustration with English ale yeast is definitely related to how quickly it can rip through wort, only to crash hard within 48-72 hours.  As for this clone attempt, I blame myself for "undercrafting," knowing full well that the Qbrew default attenuation of 75% is not accurate when fermenting with these yeasts and I should have accounted for this with the amount of 2-Row.  I've upped that 25% to 3.75 lbs.  On the plus side, I refrigerated that hydrometer sample overnight and sampled it the next morning -- the sweetness that I perceived warm now seemed in balance with the light roasted malt flavors.  Maybe that is the secret of Summit Winter Ale!