Wigeon

Diablo IPA Mod Advice

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys. Newer brewer here. I have 1 can of Diablo IPA that I would like to start working up. This will be my first attempt at brewing additional ingredients other than the standard HME can. I am considering this for a recipe in a 2gal LBK:

1 can Diablo IPA

1 pack BrewMax LME - Pale

1 packet BrewMax Booster

1 packet Safale Us-05 (11.5g)

I also have .5oz of Falconer’s Flight pellet hops I was intending to simmer in the wort in muslin sack. I am looking for a nice hoppy IPA, something with more flavor nuances and better ABV than the Diablo HME alone. 

Does this recipe sound decent? Should I use the whole 11.5g packet of Safale 05? Should I use more yeast than that? Any other thoughts you guys have on this to help me out for what I am working with?

That's pretty close to the Brew de Ale ze Bub recipe.

Personally, I'd skip the booster.  You'll be coming it at around 6.1% without it, so it's not like you're making a weak beer.

How long of a hop boil were you planning?  I've only used Falconer's Flight in one recipe before (Witch's Flight) and that was at flame-out and after a week of fermenting.  It was great used that way.

Use the whole packet of yeast.

Wigeon likes this

@ShrikeThanks for sharing that recipe. I was considering doing something similar to that with the Falconers hops I have. Maybe tossing the hop sack into the pot and boiling wort for around 5 minutes, then adding the sack and all into the LBK to begin fermentation? Is there a better way to add the hops into this equation? I have not used hops with my brewing experience yet. 

A five minute hop boil will be good for the aroma.  According to the handy dandy hop chart, it'll almost maximize the aroma from the hops.  One piece of advice:  if you haven't boiled wort before, you'll want to keep an eye on it.  It can go from a gentle boil to boil-over quite rapidly.

hop_utilization3.jpg

Wigeon likes this

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, Shrike said:

One piece of advice:  if you haven't boiled wort before, you'll want to keep an eye on it.  It can go from a gentle boil to boil-over quite rapidly.

Boiling wort is a staring contest. Whoever blinks first wins.

What I mean by that is that: you can watch your boil and everything will be fine, but the moment you turn your back or look away you will have a boil over! If you watch it the whole time you win because it never boils over. :lol:

when boiling wort:

use a big enough pot. one that has about 4 or 5 " of headspace or more.

bring water to near boil.. remove from heat. have someone pour in lme while you stir. make sure it is fully mixed in before returning to heat.

not doing the above can cause bottom scorching..  and boil overs.

have a clean spray bottle of mineral water on hand set to fine mist.  if you see the wort boil starting to gain in foamy hot break material, give the surface of the wort

a good spritzing.  it will cool the surface and break the bubbles up.  be ready to carefully remove it from heat if it gets out of control.  more headspace gives you more time to react.

do NOT boil hopped malt ie mr beer cans. boiling drives out the hop goodness they worked to put into it.

when you add your hops, if using pellets be prepared for foaming action.  also a bunch of skeeze will float on the surface for awhile... this is normal. you may also see oil like stuff on top when the foam drops. also normal.

when i am done with the boil, i try to cool the wort as fast as possible. put the pot in a clean sink filled with ice water. small pots will try to float. keep it steady. or use a wort chiller. if you can knock the heat down to about 100f when you add it to the cold water in the lbk you might end up close to pitching temp.

as mentioned, when doing boils never let yourself be distracted. boil overs are an absolute horror to clean up. even if you are certain the hotbreak action has settled down and that the temperature of the boil is a happy controlled temperature... watch it.

make sure when boiling that your dog, kids, wife, curious onlookers etc are leaving you alone to focus. hot wort makes serious third degree burns.

for the mr beer kits with an lme boil you dont need to boil for an hour. you can do a 15 minute boil of the lme with your hops.. .depends on how much hop you want to add and if you are doing it for flavor/aroma or bittering. you also need less water than when doing a full boil or a bigger kit.