Werwer2018

Long Play IPA kit

16 posts in this topic

I just got a Mr Beer long play IPA kit for Christmas and on the 31st I started the process of brewing my first beer. This is all new to me so I'm interested to see how the beer is going to turn out.. Not sure if this type of beer is going to be bitter or not.

I started fermenting a Long Play IPA on New Years Day. It made a little foam, a lot of trub and had steady little bubbles. I noticed the last couple of days that it has stopped bubbling completely and is clear. I do not have a hydrometer. Should I leave it sitting on the trub for another week, or could it be ready to bottle? Nervous newbie asking..

41 minutes ago, Marius said:

I started fermenting a Long Play IPA on New Years Day. It made a little foam, a lot of trub and had steady little bubbles. I noticed the last couple of days that it has stopped bubbling completely and is clear. I do not have a hydrometer. Should I leave it sitting on the trub for another week, or could it be ready to bottle? Nervous newbie asking..

Give it a full three weeks.  Just because you can't see activity doesn't mean nothing's going on.  High krausen is over, but the yeast are still at work "cleaning up" your beer.

Marius, moots and RickBeer like this

3/4.

3 weeks fermenting at 65, 4 weeks conditioning in bottles at 70 plus.  Then 3+ days in the frig for what you're going to drink in 3 days.

Marius likes this

Thanks guys for keeping me grounded.. I've read that a bunch of times here, but have been reading and watching videos elsewhere that led me astray. Patience!!!!!

Shrike likes this

2 hours ago, Marius said:

Thanks guys for keeping me grounded.. I've read that a bunch of times here, but have been reading and watching videos elsewhere that led me astray. Patience!!!!!

Yep.  I'm not by nature a patient person but this is a hobby that demands it.  And the good thing about it is that your patience is rewarded.

Marius and dale hihn like this

Just wanted to give an update on my Long Play IPA. Tonight I finished cold crash and bottled it for a conditioning nap. First, I took out a little glass of it to see what it tasted like at this phase. I have to say that I was relieved and very impressed. Since I fermented it without the cooler, I was worried about it having the apple cider taste. It was awesome! Not very hoppy, but definitely an IPA. Tilting the keg and doing the cold crash was a good move. The last bottle did get some trub, but I marked it as a tester like someone else recommended. I was curious to see how Werwer2018 made out with his beer.

hotrod3539, MRB Tim and Shrike like this

Well I bottled my Long Play IPA a couple of weeks ago and decided to try a bottle last night. WOW is that a bitter beer. Not sure if it is because I should have left it longer or is it suppose to be that bitter. It almost taste like the cheap beer I drink in Canada, Laker Ice. Oh well the next batch I do I'll look for a light tasting beer. 

3 minutes ago, Werwer2018 said:

Well I bottled my Long Play IPA a couple of weeks ago and decided to try a bottle last night. WOW is that a bitter beer. Not sure if it is because I should have left it longer or is it suppose to be that bitter. It almost taste like the cheap beer I drink in Canada, Laker Ice. Oh well the next batch I do I'll look for a light tasting beer. 

It's an IPA, bitter is part of its flavor profile, that's how it's supposed to be. They aren't for everyone.

1 hour ago, Werwer2018 said:

As @epete28 mentioned above, IPAs are meant to be bitter. But because hop oils are volatile and will decrease over time, aging your beer will mellow the bitterness if that's not your thing.

Thanks to both of you for the information. No that's not my type of beer. LOL Can you recommend something not quite as bitter as that is.

22 minutes ago, Werwer2018 said:

Thanks to both of you for the information. No that's not my type of beer. LOL Can you recommend something not quite as bitter as that is.

What's your favorite type of beer/beers?

Kevin