Kevinah64

So how many of you also do 5 gal batches?

43 posts in this topic

Yo!

Made Brewer's Best 5 gallon Scotch Ale last weekend, and have their American Lite waiting for the next round.  The Mr. Beer's 6 gallon fermenter is perfect for Brewer's Best kits, along with a triple of Mr. Beer's best recipes

hotrod3539 likes this

I do 5 gallon batches as well. i range from Mr. Beer to partials to all grain (BIAB style)depending on time, supply and mood.... 

I have never made a brewers best kit. Are they quality? Ive been dreaming up some quick extract recipes lately. Something a guy can pound out in only acouple hours. 

Brewer's Best kits are similar to the Mr. Beer's Partial Mash recipes, only 5 gallon instead of 2.  They are just as easy to make, if not just a hair harder since you have hops to boil using a timed schedule. instead of HME's, but this isn't an issue at all.  My other problem is temperature control for the larger 6 gallon fermenter instead of LBK's where I can add hot or cold water bottles.  I'd recommend trying one.

So if a fella has been doing Mr. B. LBKs for a bit over a year what equipment would he need to get started making 5 gallon batches?

MiniYoda likes this

I have been doing two cans of craft Mister beer jazzed up with hops and grains in a partial mash and then split between two LBK’s.   Same amount of work really and I have had very good results. Helps build the pipeline!

76shovel likes this

I've always recommended "Tabitha"

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Beer-Brewmax-Gallon-Homebrewing/dp/B01M8MRANX/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1515465230&sr=8-27&keywords=mr.+beer

All Mr. Beer equipment/product, and it's only $10 more than what they price the fermenter by itself.  Comes with a nice recipe kit and everything except glass bottles (capper, caps, etc).   I've used it for 5 gallon kits, and triple a Mr. Beer recipe

It's been documented on here that you can split a 5 gallon recipe into two LBK's.  I did it....once.  Only once.  Then I got the Mr. Beer 6 gallon and never looked back.

2 hours ago, 76shovel said:

So if a fella has been doing Mr. B. LBKs for a bit over a year what equipment would he need to get started making 5 gallon batches?

If you’re sticking with extract, then nothing more than a larger fermenter.  Or two LBKs. I’m not sure what size your kettle is but I bet you can do 5 gallon extract batches in it. Possibly. I started with a 3 gallon kettle which was more than enough for 5 gallon extract. No need for a Chiller yet.  Maybe a strainer? I’m really stretching now.  

hotrod3539, 76shovel and kedogn like this

With a 6 gallon fermenter  do you move the beer to secondary containers (racking?) for cold crashing or is cold crashing unnecessary?  I don't have enough fridge for something that large.

Yes I've be doing the extract thing with partial mash brews for a little over a year.  Anything else is going to require more reading and real equipment :)

I've never used a secondary because I don't have the equipment to do so (yet), but it should be very easy to do.  Cold Crashing for me would be a challenge for 5-6 gallon containers, simply because of the weight of the fluid.  I'd be worried about dropping/spilling something that heavy.  Instead of cold crashing, I use a teaspoon of Irish Moss 10 minutes before flameout, and that makes partial mashes very clear.

The size of the batch has no relationship with whether you want to cold crash or not, or whether you do a secondary.  I've been brewing for over 5 years and never done a secondary.  I always cold crash.  I do 5 gallon batches, split between two LBKs.

It's not "want"....it's "ability".  I don't split 5 or 6 gallon batches into two LBKs.  Everything is in one 6 gallon container.  Cold crashing when the beer is in a 6 gallon fermenter is a challenge, at least for me, due to the weight and that it would be difficult for me to left the fermenter with this much weight. 

While we are somewhat on topic, @RickBeer, you've said use a strainer when pouring a 5 gallon batch into two LBKs.  What is the advantage of the strainer?

To strain out stuff...  Not trying to be funny, but when you put a bunch of hops into a 5 gallon batch you get a lot of trub you don't want in your fermenter.  

right.  the pieces of the hop pellets left over.  Probably also the pieces of grains that slip out of the sack

Thanks

17 hours ago, 76shovel said:

a bigger pot to boil wort, and a bigger fermenter...6 gallon carboy. go to Midwest supplies and check out their starter kits...gives you an idea what you need.

8 hours ago, RickBeer said:

That's the exact reason to NOT buy a big fermenter.  WEIGHT.  

Or maybe to adopt someone else's kids....you know, an agreement that they are yours only when you need them  :P

kedogn likes this

9 hours ago, RickBeer said:

That's the exact reason to NOT buy a big fermenter.  WEIGHT.  

That is why I am happy with the LBKs I can move them around. And while I have never done a 5 gal between 2, I have made several Cooper's 6 gal recipes between 3 LBKs and tweaked each differently.

Thanks for the replies. I currently have 2 LBKs and another different fermenter I bought from Mr Beer as well so I could split up a 5 gallon batch easy enough.

8 hours ago, RickBeer said:

It also aerates the wort by passing through the mesh.

Somehow I was under the impression aeration was a negative but maybe that was in reference to a later part of the process like bottling?

So it looks to me like I mostly need a bigger pot.

MiniYoda and hotrod3539 like this

2 minutes ago, 76shovel said:

Thanks for the replies. I currently have 2 LBKs and another different fermenter I bought from Mr Beer as well so I could split up a 5 gallon batch easy enough.

Somehow I was under the impression aeration was a negative but maybe that was in reference to a later part of the process like bottling?

So it looks to me like I mostly need a bigger pot.

Aeration before fermentation = good

Aeration after fermentation = bad

3 minutes ago, 76shovel said:

Oxygen for the yeast is very good so that they can do what they do, so aerating the wort is good.  However, air after fermentation is bad.

hotrod3539, 76shovel and kedogn like this