Kevinah64

So how many of you also do 5 gal batches?

43 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

I've never used a secondary because I don't have the equipment to do so (yet), but it should be very easy to do.  Cold Crashing for me would be a challenge for 5-6 gallon containers, simply because of the weight of the fluid.  I'd be worried about dropping/spilling something that heavy.  Instead of cold crashing, I use a teaspoon of Irish Moss 10 minutes before flameout, and that makes partial mashes very clear.

So tell me about this Irish Moss you speak of and how it's used.

Thanks.

edit: Oh hell, I looked it up. Man I hate being all responsible....

hotrod3539 and MiniYoda like this

11 minutes ago, 76shovel said:

So tell me about this Irish Moss you speak of and how it's used.

Thanks.

Irish Moss is a seaweed derived fining agent used by many brewers to help make a clear beer without the need for a filter, and to prevent chill haze. Irish Moss accelerates protein coagulation during the end of the boil which helps prevent chill haze. Add 1 teaspoon per 5 gallons to the last 15 minutes of the boil.

SilverBrewerWI and 76shovel like this

To add to Mr. @hotrod3539 has stated, Irish Moss is sold on Mr. Beer's Site, but note that it works best with partial mash recipes.  Per the folks at Mr. Beer, it isn't necessary for non-grain recipes.  If you use it with their partial mash recipes, use 1/2 teaspoon, and at the end of the boil, and based on my stupidity, I'd recommend only one bag to start with (a little goes a LOOOOOOOONG way)

hotrod3539 likes this

or you can use whirlfloc in the last 10 minutes of the boil if doing a full boil.  i dont care about clarity so i stopped using them. if it has alcohol and doesnt taste like butt i'm in.

TonyKZ1, hotrod3539 and Shrike like this

On 1/8/2018 at 9:29 PM, 76shovel said:

So if a fella has been doing Mr. B. LBKs for a bit over a year what equipment would he need to get started making 5 gallon batches?

1 x 6.5 gallon food grade plastic bucket

1 lid with rubber gasket

1 spade bit and drill to make a hole in lid.

1 plastic elbow / pipe fitting thing to fit blow off hose, and the end screw thing to secure it...  i can post pics later .. dont know the technical terms for these things.

they look like this.  then you need the nut/washer to fit and a rubber washer to secure it to the lid.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Apollo-1-2-in-Polyethylene-Drip-Irrigation-Elbow/50030692

OR  you can keep it simple.  buy 2 lbks.  split the wort evenly between the two. i think they will be a little more full than your normal batch size with 2.5 gallons but if you dont get a super aggressive ferment it should be ok.

OR:  go to walmart.  buy 2 x   3 gallon food grade beverage bottles. the blue ones... check the plastic type . you want type 1 or type 2 i think for food safe. you can then evenly split the 5 gallons of wort in two of these.  the downside... two takes up more space in a chiller box.  for the bevvie bottle you will need to pick up a couple rubber stoppers that are drilled for an air lock.

you can be as cheap as you want as long as you dont compromise on sanitation.  you can ferment in a large pot if you want with a sanitized towel over it (open fermentation) but then you risk naturally occurring yeast getting into your wort or other things. 

my first 5 gallon batches were NB kits..  i did them in food grade buckets. just give your wort enough headspace.  if you see krausen and crud being burped through the airlock you will need to take measures to ensure your blow off airlock doesnt get clogged. ive almost had fermenter lids blow completely off from build up of co2 due to a clogged airlock port.  ive also had to leave a lid cracked open on one side while the fermenter gushed for a day like a volcano of krausen.

hotrod3539 and 76shovel like this

So irish moss is about clarity in grain brews.  Most of my brews in the last 6 months have been pitch black so that's not much of a concern for them. I do have a couple in process I probably could have tried it in. I will pick some up with the next order.  

Thanks ! And thanks all for the 5 gallon information too.

Mark

kedogn and hotrod3539 like this

6 hours ago, 76shovel said:

So irish moss is about clarity in grain brews

Sure, but if you really want good clarity, use Gelatin.  I wasn’t sold the 1st time I did... by holy cow now Batman! 

11 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

dont care about clarity so i stopped using them. if it has alcohol and doesnt taste like butt i'm in.

Are you also ok if your breakfast omelette comes out looking like it’s been dropped on the floor, run over by a Mack truck and threw up by a pack of wolves... as long as it tastes good?  I know people like that and the old line cook (and now brewery owner) in me just can’t compute that.  How things look visually is a big aspect in enjoyment of it.  I was at a brewery almost 2 years ago now and I asked for their best seller.  They gave me their Porter.  I can’t comment on the flavor of it, because honestly that part wasn’t memorable, but I can comment on the chunks (for lack of a better term) floating in it.  Needless to say, if that was their best, I just don’t see how they are still open (though, in that time they did go thru a rebranding -coincidence?) but they are. 

Obviously all beers dont “need” to be clear, but those that can, add something to the over all enjoyment. Plus, you have less of a chance of anything to give off flavors, even if subtle. 

157E6022-0544-4883-A8F1-A6FD20EDF28C.thumb.jpeg.d85124a4b089456e54974626e51b3132.jpeg

TonyKZ1 and 76shovel like this

kedogn asked " Are you also ok if your breakfast omelette comes out looking like it’s been dropped on the floor, run over by a Mack truck and threw up by a pack of wolves... as long as it tastes good? "

yes. yes i am.  i am neither a beer snob or a food snob. either can look like a steaming pile of dog poop. if it didnt smell or taste that way, and i enjoyed it.. so what? if your child was born ugly would you love it less? would you go 'eeew omg what a vile ugly child.' and throw it away?

i do not eat with my eyes. let me flip this on you. if i prepared for you an elegant looking dish... trimmed beautifully .. garnished wonderfully... that looked like jesus himself cooked it, blessed it and filled it with heavenly wonder and splendor.....  and on tasting it the dish tasted like someone took unwashed feet , washed them with an even dirtier rectum.. then fed it to an incontinent moose who poo'ed it out on a hiway ... whereupon the moose and dish got ran over by a mack truck and feasted upon by vultures who likewise pooed it out....  would you eat it blissfully and compliment me? i think not.

one does not eat or drink with the eyes. something in a pretty package can be really nasty. look at coral snakes. beautiful animals..yet deadly.  i do not judge food, beer and i try not to judge people by appearance. 

beer for me can be cloudy... can have hop bits floating in it...  it can even smell a little weird but if it tastes pleasant and i enjoy drinking it,, bring it on!

cooks are like me. the average 'cook' wants the food to taste good. if it also looks good then its a perk.. an added plus, not the sought after goal.

CHEFS are like the snobs of the cooking world. they tend to have god complex.  take gordon ramsey. to me? he is a bloated windbag. what he considers fine dining i would not feed to a dog. sure it looks pretty but i dont eat undercooked meat. i dont eat a lot of the garbage he calls food.  give me a fully loaded coney dog any day over his best. onions, chilli, mustard, ketchup, cheese... stacked high and overflowing all over the plate in all its chilli-laden sloppy wonderfullness! 

haze in beer doesnt contribute to flavor in and of itself. clarity is like head in a beer. it makes beer look 'pretty'.. nothing more.  neither clarity nor head of foam is important if the beer tastes like @ss.

hotrod3539, TonyKZ1, Shrike and 1 other like this

if i was of the mind to only drink crystal clear 'pretty' beers i never would have tried wheat beers... and would have been missing out. hefeweizens are one of my favs. they are cloudy, hazy.. and i love them.  my stouts are jet black. i can hold them up to a bright flashlight and not be able to see through them. love them.  tell ya what... send me your cloudy/hazy beers. i will happily dispose of them for you.  :)

hotrod3539 likes this

So my next question for you that use clarifiers, are you using them in all your brews as well as your lighter translucent ones?   I am just getting into the partial mash recipes and doing small batch (micro batch?) 2-2.5 gallon fermenters. So far I am not having anything chunky in the bottled product, just the dusting of trub in the bottom.  My first wheat has a couple more weeks of conditioning before I get glass of it.

I probably enjoy cooking more than I should, my family appreciates it though.  I am a simple guy doing simple things but I do believe part of the experience is presentation.

Just in case my man card is in question I am also a gun enthusiast,  maintain/repair my Harleys, do my own oil changes and rotate my own tires on the cages.  When it comes to working with wood, well, I can build a helluva fire. :D

I only use clarifiers if my recipe involves grains.  If it is strictly HME/LME/DME, then no.  Also, I don't use them on wheat beers, as by nature they are supposed to be cloudy.

And no, your man card isn't in question.  Cooking for family is a manly thing to do (especially grilling).

76shovel likes this

5 hours ago, 76shovel said:

So my next question for you that use clarifiers, are you using them in all your brews as well as your lighter translucent ones? 

If I remember to do it, I will toss in some Whirfloc tablets with every brew that I make.  I prefer the tablets as they are easier to store as well as knowing exactly how much you have on hand. Plus, shooting baskets with them into the boil kettle is fun too :)

However, I will only use Gelatin on my beers that will benefit from it.  Obviously, hefes, porters, NEIPA and the likes you really wouldn't want to do that.  But Pales, Ambers, most IPAs, they can really benefit from a dose of gelatin.  I have noticed that a long enough cold crash and its not needed, but if you wanna speed things up some, gelatin works nicely.

I only do AG, so its sounding like from others if its an HME/LME/DME you wouldn't.

5 hours ago, 76shovel said:

I am a simple guy doing simple things but I do believe part of the experience is presentation.

:)

MiniYoda likes this

Agree with above..... if strictly hme/lme/dme with no grains, no clarifying agent needed. Any where grains are used, I will add clarifying agent and never to any wheat beers and the like.... and have been known to skip the clarifier for porters and stouts where its dark enough you wont be able to tell...

kedogn likes this

if chill haze (aka protein haze) bugs a person  you can always serve your beer in a stein.  or drink the beer warm as i do. all my home brew is served at room temp. i have found that chilling beer totally changes how i perceive the flavors. for me, chilling it muddies the flavors. the only beer i chill is a bottle that threatens to be a gusher on opening. chilling drives more of the CO2 into suspension. 

i did whirlfloc for a while then decided it was just an un-necessary expense and waste of time.  i also drink wine and prefer a heavy dark fruity cab. i dont give a hoot about clarity in wine either. as long as it has been sufficiently degassed and doesnt taste like so4 or garbage.  my one exception on clarity is when i do meads. i do not start sampling until i can read a news paper through the fermenter (glass).  i have found that by the time the 3rd or 4th racking gets that clear the flavors are usually right where i like them.

Shrike likes this

4 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

if chill haze (aka protein haze) bugs a person  you can always serve your beer in a stein.

An elegant and brilliant solution!👍  Chill haze does bug me.  Like, a lot.  I'll let you know if this works the next time I have one of my Munich Helles'.  The fact is, I worked dang hard brewing that lager to showcase SRM @ 2, but I can't think of a more appropriate style to enjoy in a German stoneware stein.  Pictures @ 10. 

Shrike and Creeps McLane like this

On January 8, 2018 at 8:31 PM, dale hihn said:

I have been doing two cans of craft Mister beer jazzed up with hops and grains in a partial mash and then split between two LBK’s.   Same amount of work really and I have had very good results. Helps build the pipeline!

That's cool I'm going to have to try that!

dale hihn likes this