Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lorenzai

Slow Ferment?

36 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, zorak1066 said:

the only beer i would dump would be one that had a distinct aroma of feces.  if you detect that in your finished beer you might have got e coli / botulism growing in it. the same crap that makes an improperly stored can of potted meat swell, rupture and fizz... turn colors and if you are dumb enough to eat, causes you to get sick and die....  might have grown in your hme can.  if you buy a kit from a garage sale that has sat around in the heat and cold for 10 years.. and the can is dented and has bulges ... then dont use it.

on the plus side:  yeast are very very hardy. they are very territorial. once you give them good food to eat and keep them safe from enemies , high heat or cold they are going to do their best to kill anything that might ruin your beer. once they start making alcohol, the alcohol will help kill invaders off too.  some bacterium like brett c and lacto bacillus or even acetobacter can grow on top of the wort or even in it without the yeast killing them.  you will see the wort growing a funky almost plastic like film on top of usually white scale.. not bubbles... not foam... but scale that might have thick bubbles in it. (google pellicles in beer) some brewers intentionally brew with these to make sours.. except acetobacter. that turns all your lovely alcohol into vinegar basically.

i have drank beer with lactobacter. i lived. i would use diluted acetobacter beer for malt vinegar. if mold was growing? as long as it was on the surface only i would be tempted to rack it from beneath and try to drink it anyway.  but if you ever get a really off rotten smell like decomp .. . toss it.  i would likely toss the fermenter too. ale yeast is very forgiving. it's a really amazing little critter. if you exercise even the slightest hygienic practices while brewing, it's really really hard to end up with totally ruined beer. it does happen... but you do your bit to help the yeast thrive and you should be ok.

Speaking of dumping beer, I'm gonna try brewing a lacto sour this weekend -- wish me luck!

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Alternative_Bacteria_Sources

http://sourbeerblog.com/fast-souring-lactobacillus/

Creeps McLane and Shrike like this

I hope your lacto-sour beer works out. I was reading about those last night. I guess lacto can only ferment to a low abv and you have to supplement with your regular lager or ale yeast to finish fermentation. They also said that lacto tends to continue fermentation down to some really low gravity readings and can make a beer really dry over time if it sits for too long.

23 minutes ago, Lorenzai said:

I hope your lacto-sour beer works out. I was reading about those last night. I guess lacto can only ferment to a low abv and you have to supplement with your regular lager or ale yeast to finish fermentation. They also said that lacto tends to continue fermentation down to some really low gravity readings and can make a beer really dry over time if it sits for too long.

Thanks -- I'm really looking forward to trying something a little different.  This will be kettle-soured though, so no lacto. to worry about post-boil. 

Lorenzai likes this

Welp I finished my second brew. Had a slight accident with a boilover. That DME is no joke. I dissolved it in water while it was warming up and stirred all the clumps apart. As soon as it got above a small simmer it went crazy! Boiled over in what seemed like a second. Luckily I had already saw it coming and picked up the pot but I still lost ... Idk 6 ounces of liquid or something like that. What a sticky mess! Lol. Anyway, once I brought it back to a low boil/simmer I added 3/4ths an ounce Willamette and simmered for 30 mins. At flame out I put the rest of them in and added the can of HME. Everything went well besides the little mishap, and the beer smells floral and amazing. I can't wait to drink it already. It heavily reminds me of how Sierra Nevada pale ale smells. Guess we will see if that translates well in the finished product. 

Thanks for all the help guys. 

IMAG3253.jpg

Marius, Shrike, dale hihn and 1 other like this

Hmm,  I know Rick is the GURU and if you do what he says the chance of success is MUCH MUCH greater, but as to adding more fermentables after the wort is the LBK, you can do it. However there is always the chance of infection on opening the LBK any time.

On occasion, I have added booster and extract without problems. Maybe I have been lucky, but the yeast ate it up.

If you choose to take the risk and add some, you need to make sure you sanitize as when doing the original brew.

The booster or DME/LME will be sterile if in original unopened manufacturer pkg.  Sanitize the outside of the package where you will cut, and sanitize the scissors and then after cutting, get it in the LBK as fast as possible and reclose the lid. Make sure it does not touch fingers or opening of LBK. 

Lorenzai likes this

And if you are concerned about how it looks just search for pellicle, I posted pics of my pellicled (by accident) beer fermentation. The beer has a distinct taste but it rather like an expensive speciality beer. So even if it looks weird don't chuck it. The pic is in this thread.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:47 PM, Nickfixit said:

Hmm,  I know Rick is the GURU and if you do what he says the chance of success is MUCH MUCH greater, but as to adding more fermentables after the wort is the LBK, you can do it. However there is always the chance of infection on opening the LBK any time.

On occasion, I have added booster and extract without problems. Maybe I have been lucky, but the yeast ate it up.

If you choose to take the risk and add some, you need to make sure you sanitize as when doing the original brew.

The booster or DME/LME will be sterile if in original unopened manufacturer pkg.  Sanitize the outside of the package where you will cut, and sanitize the scissors and then after cutting, get it in the LBK as fast as possible and reclose the lid. Make sure it does not touch fingers or opening of LBK. 

It's too late for my Oktoberfest, but I appreciate the advice. I looked into it a bit more and things like Kandi Syrup are actually recommended to be added directly to the fermenter. I don't know why but they claim it adds more to the body that way. The increased risk of infection is still going to be there but it looks like this may be more common than I originally thought. Especially with Belgian style (home)brews. 

On 2/1/2018 at 8:47 PM, Nickfixit said:

Adding dry DME to a fermenter makes zero sense.

Nickfixit likes this

14 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Adding dry DME to a fermenter makes zero sense.

Yeah. If you are going to add, liquid is definitely better. Still even DME will dissolve and get eaten but you can get malt dust all over.

Given a choice I would add LME rather than DME, but if desperate..........

12 hours ago, Nickfixit said:

Yeah. If you are going to add, liquid is definitely better. Still even DME will dissolve and get eaten but you can get malt dust all over.

Given a choice I would add LME rather than DME, but if desperate..........

Or, plan your brews and not have the issue at all.  ;)

Nickfixit likes this

Agreed, this is only for corrections or changes of plan - or trying to force the ABV incrementally up like some Belgian beers.