Rokitman

Help With Hacked Root Beer. What Am I Doing Wrong?

3 posts in this topic

Hello fellow brewers,

I'm having an issue with the Hacked Root Beer recipe that's really got me confused and very disappointed.

I started brewing with Mr. Beer a couple years ago and have had great success so far. Started with the basic kit and loved the CAL that came with it. I loved brewing so much my son bought me the complete Hacked Root Beer kit and that 1st batch turned out fantastic. Problem is, every batch I've tried to make since then has turned out horrible and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

The Hacked Root Beer refill kit comes with slightly different ingredients than what comes with the full kit. Namely, the Booster packs. From what I've read, the Booster pack is used to increase the ABV. So, I don't think that could be the cause. The only other thing I'm doing differently than what the recipe calls for is adding 2 cups of white sugar, 2 cups of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract. Those ingredients were suggested by another poster here and worked out fine with my first batch. But the two batches I've made since then have tasted terrible.

The second batch was drinkable, but didn't taste like root beer. It just tasted like beer.  Not a bit of sweetness or root beer taste. I don't understand this. Where did the 4 cups of sugar go? The current batch that was just finished a few days ago is complete garbage. I'm going to have to dump it all out. Again, no sweetness and no root beer flavor. But this one has a bad bitter taste and just not palatable at all. 

I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong with these last 2 batches. But I'm getting tired of wasting my batches and my time. That first batch was so amazing I just don't understand what is going so terribly wrong.

Has anyone else had an issue like this with a HRB refill? I'm at my wits end and very gun shy about making another batch. I can give more details if needed. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

- Dean -

Perhaps you might want to call Mr. Beer Customer Service and ask them.  As to your question "where did the 4 cups of sugar go?", the answer is that the yeast ferments the sugar into alcohol.  There should be ZERO sweetness left.

Also, brown sugar ferments and leaves unsweetened molasses as the flavor, which is bitter and awful.

I'd suggest you brew as specified in the recipe, and stop adding things.  

hotrod3539 likes this

9 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Perhaps you might want to call Mr. Beer Customer Service and ask them.  As to your question "where did the 4 cups of sugar go?", the answer is that the yeast ferments the sugar into alcohol.  There should be ZERO sweetness left.

Also, brown sugar ferments and leaves unsweetened molasses as the flavor, which is bitter and awful.

I'd suggest you brew as specified in the recipe, and stop adding things.  

Thanx Rick, I may have to do that.

As for adding extra ingredients, this recipe was recommended by MRB Josh R in a previous post of mine ~
"The amount of sugar is up to you. For a sweeter root beer similar to A&W, use 4 cups of sugar. 1 or 2 cups of brown will give an extra dimension to the flavor, but you can just use white sugar, if you wish. ", and worked out amazingly well. And plenty sweet. It IS root beer after all. 

The problem with the specified recipe is they are different depending on where you get the ingredients. The directions that came in the full kit are different than the refill and don't include the booster pack. I'll have to check with Customer Service and see which they suggest. 

- Thanx -

Shrike likes this