MiniYoda

MUG MidWest meeting

39 posts in this topic

Per request, I'm updating this post with the details of the meeting

What:  Mr.Beer User Group meeting in Munster, Indiana.

When::  Friday, April 13 through Monday April 16

Possible attendees:  @Creeps McLane, @MiniYoda, @hotrod3539, @C-ya. @scouterbill, and perhaps a member of Mr. Beer

Hotel:  SpringHill Suites by Marriott.  9651 Calumet Ave.  So new that Google maps doesn't show it, and Google Street view shows it under construction.  It is located on a golf course, and is the closest to 3 Floyds (a 10 minute walk to/stagger back).  For reference, 3 Floyds is at 9750 Indiana Pkwy

Proposed schedule (open to suggestions)

- Friday evening - Bar/Room hop.  There aren't many bars in the area, most places frown upon bringing outside alcohol into a bar, and most police frown upon open containers in public places.  So, to avoid the hassle, we will "bar hop" between our hotel rooms, which each guest hosting a local/home brew sampling.  We can call for pizza delivery.  If the ladies prefer wine, let me know what type and I'll get a bottle of Kentucky wine.  Also might be able to find something from Kentucky for the kids.

- Saturday morning - After sleeping in a bit (we'll probably need it) and breakfast, we'll work on a care package for our thirsty friends in Arizona.
  - Saturday afternoon - Head to 3 Floyds.  Tours are offered every hour between 12:30 and 5:30.  Once we get a head count of who is going, I will call the pub and see if they can schedule a private tour for us.  Regardless, we'll be there for a while, so we probably can do more than one tour.  Note that the Cubs host the Braves at 1:20pm CDT and the White Sox visit the Twins at 1:10pm CDT, so things could be crowded at that time.
  - Saturday evening - Open.  Stay there, go back to the hotel for more sampling, or go to True BBQ.

- Sunday morning - Again, sleep in late (we'll probably need it again, and it *is* a vacation).  Finish care package for Arizona with 3 Floyds beers.
  - Sunday afternoon - I'm open to suggestions.  There is a place called "Brew and Blooms" a bit north in Hammond IN.  Per the pictures on Google, they indicate that they are "home brewing and urban gardening".  Their Facebook page indicates that they are open 10am to 6pm Sunday.  Also Byway Brewing company isn't very far either.
  - Sunday evening - One last gathering at 3 Floyds for a final toast.

- Monday - Back home again, unless you need to leave Sunday.

Threw out that date because it gives us about 3 months to schedule time off, make plans for hotel, travel, kids sitters, brew something special, etc.

and if lucky, the folks at Mr. Beer could create a t-shirt for us

BTW, this is not restricted to those who live in the "mid west".  All are welcome.  Munster IN is close to a big city that has big airports.  Can't remember the name of where the Cubs/White Sox/Bears/Black Hawks/Bulls play, but it'll come to me.

and if SWMBO is skeptical, tell her "fly with me", "road trip up north", and give her a credit card. She'll figure out where Michigan Avenue is.

:D :D :D 

EDIT. fixed spelling.  Not Howks.  HAWKS.

and.....Go Fire!!!!!!!!!!

Creeps McLane likes this

5 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

BTW, this is not restricted to those who live in the "mid west".  All are welcome.  Munster IN is close to a big city that has big airports.  Can't remember the name of where the Cubs/White Sox/Bears/Black Howks/Bulls play, but it'll come to me.

and if SWMBO is skeptical, tell her "fly with me", "road trip up north", and give her a credit card. She'll figure out where Michigan Avenue is.

:D :D :D 

Yea, I know. The name of that city is on the tip of my tongue....  :P

The only problem is that SWMBO hates flying! :mellow:

MiniYoda likes this

6 minutes ago, scouterbill said:

Yea, I know. The name of that city is on the tip of my tongue....  :P

The only problem is that SWMBO hates flying! :mellow:

Tell her "Fewer pee breaks than driving".

Sorry, but was married, and she loved coffee

D Kristof likes this

The seed has been planted. If i did come id either bring a friend or maybe, MAYBE the family. Probably just a friend though. Calendar looks open. Its under a 4 hour drive for me. She denied me portland this year so maybe munster will get passed

12 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

She denied me portland this year

That's a bummer.  I had been debating on going since I go to Portland so often anyway (2.5  hours down the road).  However, my schedule just changed at work, so I no longer have Thursday/Friday off, so what would have lined up nicely, isn't so much any more.  Not that I couldn't make it happen... we'll see.

As for the other, I bet that would be fun.  I'm always looking for an excuse to go somewhere, but that is the last weekend of Tax Season, so I am out for sure!  #BusyBusy!

17 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

@kedogn the date was randomly chosen.  I can change it if you think you could make it later in April

Thanks. I’ll have to get back on that, honestly. I just saw the Seahawks are playing the Raiders in London the day before my bday this year. I’m going to try talking the wife into going to that. We’ve been wanting to go to London, the Hawks are playing and it’s basically my birthday. Sounds like a reason to party... of course how busy Manfish is will dictate what I can and can’t do as well. We shall see. :) 

I’m thinking I got the wife agreeing to London.  She isn’t sure she would want to do the game, and honestly, if we watching it at a real English Pub instead of paying the $ to go, I’m game.  Looking like riding the train to Paris, Amsterdam and Munich also (travel agents get awesome deals on Eurorail passes).  My business partner and his SWMBO is thinking about going too. #ManfishInLondon 

C-ya and John K. like this

If we are going to do this in Munster, I'm guessing a stop by 3 Floyd's is in order, no?  Great beer and great food.  @scouterbill, you be glad to know the last couple of times I went, the music was at a tolerable level.  I'm about 45 mins or so from there so count me in!

1 hour ago, C-ya said:

If we are going to do this in Munster, I'm guessing a stop by 3 Floyd's is in order, no?  Great beer and great food.  @scouterbill, you be glad to know the last couple of times I went, the music was at a tolerable level.  I'm about 45 mins or so from there so count me in!

3 floyds is the main reason im heading that way. I was planning a trip with a co worker and we all started talking about this so it works out perfectly. Ill be at 3 floyds regardless.

C-ya likes this

30 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

3 floyds is the main reason im heading that way. I was planning a trip with a co worker and we all started talking about this so it works out perfectly. Ill be at 3 floyds regardless.

If anyone can ship me a few cans/bottles of 3 Floyds, I can send some AZ beers or some of my homebrew in trade. PM me, if this is possible.

C-ya likes this

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

If anyone can ship me a few cans/bottles of 3 Floyds, I can send some AZ beers or some of my homebrew in trade. PM me, if this is possible.

It was my intent to bring an ample supply of Louisville/Kentucky beers for all that attend to sample.  In part I will use a box that holds 24 bottles.  Once we've emptied the box, we will go out and fill it backup with 3 Floyds beers and ship it to you.  I'll address it to Cooper's DIY and not Mr. Beer, to help hide the contests.

And you ship your AZ beers to us, care of the hotel which we will stay in, we'll probably  be able to ship you some of our home/local brews back to you in the same box. 

I'll be working on hotel suggestions, and contact 3 Floyds to see if they give brewery tours, later this week/weekend.

MUG - Midwest Meeting

When - Friday April 13 to Monday April 16

Where - Munster, Indiana, home of 3 Floyds Brewery, 9750 Indiana Pkwy

Hotels - There are three hotels relatively close to 3 Floyds

- SpringHill Suites by Marriott.  9651 Calumet Ave.  So new that Google maps doesn't show it, and Google Street view shows it under construction.  It is located on a golf course, and is the closest to 3 Floyds (a 10 minute walk to/stagger back).
 - Homewood Suites by Hilton.  9120 Calumet Ave.  A bit further, 29 minute walk, 5 minute drive.
 - Hampton Inn & Suites.  8936 Calumet Ave.  Basically right next door to Hampton Inn.  While a bit longer walk/short drive, Hilton and Hampton are next door to True BBQ And Whiskey Bar.

All list indoor heated pool and free breakfast.  I'm hoping someone will step up and take the lead on the hotel part of the meeting, as I will be handling a lot of other details.  Take votes on who, which hotel and how many rooms, and then call the hotel to see if we can get a block discount.

Initial Schedule (subject to LOTS of changes)

- Friday evening - Bar/Room hop.  There aren't many bars in the area, most places frown upon bringing outside alcohol into a bar, and most police frown upon open containers in public places.  So, to avoid the hassle, we will "bar hop" between our hotel rooms, which each guest hosting a local/home brew sampling.  We can call for pizza delivery.  If the ladies prefer wine, let me know what type and I'll get a bottle of Kentucky wine.  Also might be able to find something from Kentucky for the kids.

- Saturday morning - After sleeping in a bit (we'll probably need it) and breakfast, we'll work on a care package for our thirsty friends in Arizona.
 - Saturday afternoon - Head to 3 Floyds.  Tours are offered every hour between 12:30 and 5:30.  Once we get a head count of who is going, I will call the pub and see if they can schedule a private tour for us.  Regardless, we'll be there for a while, so we probably can do more than one tour.  Note that the Cubs host the Braves at 1:20pm CDT and the White Sox visit the Twins at 1:10pm CDT, so things could be crowded at that time.
 - Saturday evening - Open.  Stay there, go back to the hotel for more sampling, or go to True BBQ.

- Sunday morning - Again, sleep in late (we'll probably need it again, and it *is* a vacation).  Finish care package for Arizona with 3 Floyds beers.
 - Sunday afternoon - I'm open to suggestions.  There is a place called "Brew and Blooms" a bit north in Hammond IN.  Per the pictures on Google, they indicate that they are "home brewing and urban gardening".  Their Facebook page indicates that they are open 10am to 6pm Sunday.  Also Byway Brewing company isn't very far either.
 - Sunday evening - One last gathering at 3 Floyds for a final toast.

- Monday - Back home again

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

You switched the date. Let me look at my calendar again

You're right....I wasn't paying attention when I wrote down the most recent post.  I've corrected the post so that the correct weekend, April 13-16, is listed.

Sorry 'bout that.

P.S., updated the times of the baseball games.  The Cubs and White Sox play at the same time on Saturday 14th, so things could be crowded that afternoon

Creeps McLane likes this

2 hours ago, MiniYoda said:

You're right....I wasn't paying attention when I wrote down the most recent post.  I've corrected the post so that the correct weekend, April 13-16, is listed.

Sorry 'bout that.

I was thinking you switched it to easter weekend which would not fly in my house. But i was wrong anyway. 

I really like the bottle share idea. That sounds like a good time. 

@hotrod3539 you thinking about stopping?

@C-ya you staying overnight or just gonna drive the 45 meet and greet and have a beer or two and take off?

hotrod3539 likes this

Easter this year is on April 1st.  Makes me wonder how many people are going to show up for church services in a rabbit costume or some other "fools" outfit.

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

I was thinking you switched it to easter weekend which would not fly in my house. But i was wrong anyway. 

@C-ya you staying overnight or just gonna drive the 45 meet and greet and have a beer or two and take off?

Working on making sure I can get the time off work and clearing it with the wife.

5 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

I may stay Fri. and Sat. nights to make it interesting.  I know it is easy to get too much 3F in you to drive.

Creeps McLane likes this

Waking up.............I will be working on a hotel room for one this coming week (busy week at the office, but I'll keep us posted)

Doubt we can do a group hotel thing.

Creeps McLane likes this