MiniYoda

MUG MidWest meeting

162 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, scouterbill said:

My attendance is 'iffy' at best. We've been crazy busy since the first of the year and my boss is sending me 'hither, thither, and yon' supporting other regions. I've probably logged 30k miles this year (10k/month), so even if I'm not busy that weekend I'll have to do some serious bribing to get SWMBO to bless this endeavor. I'm going to try my 'damnedest'. 

No problems, @scouterbill.  I'm sure we'll have other meetings in the future.

7 hours ago, D Kristof said:

@MiniYoda, will you be in the Cinti area for any reason (Reds game, dijing out, sight seeing) over the next 2 weeks?

I won't be able to make it to Cincy for a couple of months due to a long list of things going on.  I can probably be there sometime in June or July

8 hours ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Bonsai beer on the way to @MiniYoda tomorrow!

Thanks.  If you can, send me a personal message with the tracking number.  As soon as the box comes in I'll put it in my conditioning closet, then Tuesday next week I'll put them in the fridge.  I already have an Igloo cooler ready for them.

I will be landing in Chicago at about 5:45pm on Friday. Will be driving a rental car directly to the hotel. I will update this post with my phone number and room number when I'm en-route. 

C-ya and Creeps McLane like this

1 hour ago, MRB Josh R said:

I will be landing in Chicago at about 5:45pm on Friday. Will be driving a rental car directly to the hotel. I will update this post with my phone number and room number when I'm en-route. 

Just you or is rick coming too? I’m gonna revisit the “let’s be friends” thread to review all your favorite styles for when I go buy some indigenous beer. I know @MiniYoda like all double and triple ipas, ill be sure to stock up on those. I have to set aside some time to bottle some stuff up or fill some growlers on Friday morning. 

MiniYoda and D Kristof like this

22 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Just you or is rick coming too? I’m gonna revisit the “let’s be friends” thread to review all your favorite styles for when I go buy some indigenous beer. I know @MiniYoda like all double and triple ipas, ill be sure to stock up on those. I have to set aside some time to bottle some stuff up or fill some growlers on Friday morning. 

Rick has a wedding to go to so it will just be me.

MiniYoda and Creeps McLane like this

31 minutes ago, MRB Josh R said:

Rick has a wedding to go to so it will just be me.

Good, less people I’ll have to babysit... or maybe now it’s less people to babysit me.

(Disclaimer) im thinking about filming certain parts of this weekend. We’ll see how big of a hassle it is for me. I’m new to this but I want to start filming my beer journeys. You’ve been warned, if you make a fool of yourself, I may catch it on video

MiniYoda, C-ya and Bonsai & Brew like this

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

Ick.  There will be enough of those at three floyds

Creeps McLane likes this

34 minutes ago, Creeps McLane said:

Good, less people I’ll have to babysit... or maybe now it’s less people to babysit me.

(Disclaimer) im thinking about filming certain parts of this weekend. We’ll see how big of a hassle it is for me. I’m new to this but I want to start filming my beer journeys. You’ve been warned, if you make a fool of yourself, I may catch it on video

I was hoping someone would record this historic event 

KaijuBrew and Creeps McLane like this

7 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Double?  Triple?  For and on the record, Yoda's first beer at 3 Floyds will be

https://www.3floyds.com/beer/permanent-funeral/

D Kristof likes this

10 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Double?  Triple?  For and on the record, Yoda's first beer at 3 Floyds will be

https://www.3floyds.com/beer/permanent-funeral/

The ibu is 100, that’s like as high as they measure... and it’s 10.5%! I’m going with the dust immediately. Then some brew pub exclusives followed by a growler of dust to go. Actually I’m going all flights. Actually... I don’t know, we’ll see

MiniYoda likes this

@MiniYoda I would like to film a beer challenge by all of us. For example, you yourself order a flight, but only I know what the beers are. Now I challenge you to pick the style of the beer. It was actually be quite hard there cuz their beers are so hoppy and crazy. Gumball head tasted like a pale to me. A pale malt bill with Saison carb level and an ipa hoppyness. 

MiniYoda likes this

Of the thousand or so beers I've had in my time, only one I could not finish.  Cave Creek Chili Beer.  I don't do spicy stuff, and that was a spicy beer.

That said, I don't like harsh hops, but I'm up for a challenge.  I agree flights, as we should sample their beers and not get trashed on them

Creeps McLane likes this

13 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

@MiniYoda I would like to film a beer challenge by all of us. For example, you yourself order a flight, but only I know what the beers are. Now I challenge you to pick the style of the beer. It was actually be quite hard there cuz their beers are so hoppy and crazy. Gumball head tasted like a pale to me. A pale malt bill with Saison carb level and an ipa hoppyness. 

I'm in, as long as this BJCP judge joining us plays as well, and he has to tell the style without knowing un advanced

Creeps McLane likes this

Today I received a package from Mid Continent Testing Labs of South Dakota (Thanks @Bonsai & Brew)  To endure the lab samples are ready for proper use, I will put the box in the fridge now.

The lab must have some issue securing boxes for shipping samples.  The box doesn't have the lab's logo.  Instead, they used a box from Green Chef.  The kid at the UPS store asked if it was food stuff.  I said........um...yea, and left it at that.

T minus 36 hours, 30 minutes until departure (leaving at 0800hrs Friday morning).

Boxes of drinking glasses and non-drinking beers ready to go.  Preparing to clean two igloo coolers and test a laptop.  List of places to stop along the way prepared earlier today.

MRB Josh R likes this

1 hour ago, MiniYoda said:

T minus 36 hours, 30 minutes until departure (leaving at 0800hrs Friday morning).

Boxes of drinking glasses and non-drinking beers ready to go.  Preparing to clean two igloo coolers and test a laptop.  List of places to stop along the way prepared earlier today.

How long of a drive for you? 

Were ma,in gone stop that I know of. Pipe works brewing in Chicago for lunch and a growler fill. 

MRB Josh R likes this

4.5 hour drive for normal people (I tend to drive slower than "normal"), minus one hour due to time zone change.  I'm stopping in Indianapolis for a little while, then have a couple of other stops planned on the way.  In part to check on the coolers to see if they need ice/remove water, and in part to visit breweries along the way.

Creeps McLane likes this

@Bonsai & Brew has added is home brewery, Stau-Haus, to Untappd.  He has loaded two of his 12 beers that he sent us (hopefully he can add the remaining 10 before tomorrow evening). 

I promised him we will give him "honest" reviews on them

:D

Creeps McLane likes this

For those going to the big shin-dig this weekend:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Munster+IN+46321:4:US 

Anyone coming in from the north, this means a long sleeve shirt and a light water-proof jacket

Anyone coming in from the south west, this means a thick sweatshirt and water-proof parka

Yoda......I'm a born northerner.  T-shirt and run when it's raining.

C-ya and Creeps McLane like this

24 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

For those going to the big shin-dig this weekend:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Munster+IN+46321:4:US 

Anyone coming in from the north, this means a long sleeve shirt and a light water-proof jacket

Anyone coming in from the south west, this means a thick sweatshirt and water-proof parka

Yoda......I'm a born northerner.  T-shirt and run when it's raining.

I’m packing a light rain jacket but I will grumpily walking back to the hotel Saturday night. I may have to pick up my to go beers before the rain comes

C-ya likes this