Mr.Beer Community
Werwer2018

Poor Customer Service

My wife bought me a Mr Beer kit for Christmas through The Shopping Channel in Ontario Canada. I did the first step in the brewing process on the 31st of December. On the 3rd of January I decided I wanted to get more extract so I got a hold of the Shopping Channel but they don't have the extract. Kept checking around but nothing. I have put in a number of request through Mr Beer and also the face book page but still nothing. I ddi get one answer saying that I could buy it through there place in Arizona but with the duty, shipping and exchange rate it would be very expensive. I'm frustrated and now will probably just go with a product available in Canada.

Greg

Go check out your LHBS shop. They have many cans of extract, most for 5 gallons but they will still be cheaper than the crazy cost to get mr. B to us in Canada. Not sure if you have a Princess Auto store near you, but if so, they sell good quality extracts by a competitor of Mr B’s that I have successfully used. Happy brewing!

You would think that if you sell kits in Canada that they would sell the refills. By poor customer service I mean that no one has gotten back to me at all about this, they say they will but don't. I have talked to a man in Arizona customer service twice and I keep hearing I'll get back to you. That was ten days ago. I have checked my local supply houses but they don't carry the Mr Beer LME. So now I've decided to use Coopers and make the 5 gallon batch. 

Unfortunately, our hands are tied when it comes to shipping costs from our warehouse to individual customers in Canada when buying from our website. We do not set the prices, the carriers do. However, when we sell wholesale, it's much cheaper for us to ship large pallets than individual kits/refills. With that said, we do not determine what inventory goes into the retail stores. This is determined by the stores themselves. While we do encourage them to also purchase refills from us, some of them will only purchase the kits.

I would like to apologize for the customer service delays. January is, by far, our busiest month of the year, and with only 2 customer service reps on staff going through hundreds of emails, answering phones, and online chats, we do get a bit overwhelmed at times so waiting periods on replies may be longer than normal.

I recommend purchasing our refills on Amazon since they do carry a large volume of our products and shipping should be a bit cheaper for you.

We are currently looking into more affordable ways to make our products more accessible to our Canadian customers. This is one of our priorities for 2018.

Well it has been a month now since I contacted Customer service to ask them where I can buy refills of Liquid Malt Extract  in Ontario Canada and I was told twice that someone will be in touch. To date no one has and being on pension I can't afford Amazon or buying from the U.S. so I've decided the next step is to move onto another brand available locally and throw out the keg.

44 minutes ago, Werwer2018 said:

Well it has been a month now since I contacted Customer service to ask them where I can buy refills of Liquid Malt Extract  in Ontario Canada and I was told twice that someone will be in touch. To date no one has and being on pension I can't afford Amazon or buying from the U.S. so I've decided the next step is to move onto another brand available locally and throw out the keg.

On 1/13/2018 at 0:25 PM, MRB Josh R said:

Unfortunately, our hands are tied when it comes to shipping costs from our warehouse to individual customers in Canada when buying from our website. We do not set the prices, the carriers do. However, when we sell wholesale, it's much cheaper for us to ship large pallets than individual kits/refills. With that said, we do not determine what inventory goes into the retail stores. This is determined by the stores themselves. While we do encourage them to also purchase refills from us, some of them will only purchase the kits.

I would like to apologize for the customer service delays. January is, by far, our busiest month of the year, and with only 2 customer service reps on staff going through hundreds of emails, answering phones, and online chats, we do get a bit overwhelmed at times so waiting periods on replies may be longer than normal.

I recommend purchasing our refills on Amazon since they do carry a large volume of our products and shipping should be a bit cheaper for you.

We are currently looking into more affordable ways to make our products more accessible to our Canadian customers. This is one of our priorities for 2018.

I know it must be a PITA being in Canada and trying to use MRB.  However, he answered your question; it just wasn't the answer you wanted. 

6 hours ago, Werwer2018 said:

On 1/13/2018 at 9:13 AM, DEFbrewer said:

DIYbeerCoopers is the parent company to MRBeer. It has stores in Canada that you can get MrBeer craft refills. https://us.diybeer.com/brew-cans/craft-series

Here is the store locator link.. https://us.diybeer.com/store-locator 

Hope this helps.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:45 AM, RickBeer said:

It's not poor customer service. It's because an American company has no cost-effective way to ship to Canada.  Shipping costs and duties are outrageous.  You're not the first to ask about it.  

On 1/13/2018 at 1:25 PM, MRB Josh R said:

5 hours ago, Shrike said:

I know it must be a PITA being in Canada and trying to use MRB.  However, he answered your question; it just wasn't the answer you wanted. 

@Werwer2018 Dude, there are many responses to your question and some explanations right here in this thread including one from a Mr. Beer CS rep himself, so yes, you did get an answer from Customer service (including an apology) It may not have been the answer you already had set in your mind you wanted (go here, they have it, brew on and enjoy) but it was an acceptable answer on how to help solve your query.  The most valuable answer came from DEFbrewer that gave you information on the parent company (Coopers), which is much easier to get in store in Canada, including a store locator link that can narrow things down even more. Even if you do a quick Google search it would be of good help.

On 2/4/2018 at 6:05 AM, Werwer2018 said:

Have you tried calling our customer service line during our business hours? If you sent an email, you may be in for a long wait because we are still catching up on returns, exchanges, gift card orders, military discount forms, etc from over the holidays. Please keep in mind that we have 2 customer service reps here at Mr. Beer. Myself and @MRB Tim. The quickest way to get a hold of one of us to answer your question is through our live chat or through our toll free phone number, 1-800-852-4263.

Also, as I've explained above, we cannot tell you where to buy individual items because the inventory will vary between stores. But using our store locator I linked above, you should be able to find a store in your area that carries our products.

I just want to say that although their email times are long (I had to wait almost a week for a response), once they got to me they took care of me very promptly. JoshBeer was super easy to work with and fixed the problem I was having. They aren't the cheapest company on every single thing, but their customer service was good enough that I will undoubtedly be spending some coin with them in the near future.

I checked the store locator and there are no places around selling the refills.  But that doesn't matter anymore as I have been contacted by three different Home Brew suppliers who are telling me that Mr. Beer refills are not available in Canada. They are only available through Amazon or Mr.. Beer in the U.S,. But I do have one question . Can the keg be used for secondary fermentation if you add the carbonation drops to it  and seal the lid with say duct tape.

23 minutes ago, Werwer2018 said:

I checked the store locator and there are no places around selling the refills.  But that doesn't matter anymore as I have been contacted by three different Home Brew suppliers who are telling me that Mr. Beer refills are not available in Canada. They are only available through Amazon or Mr.. Beer in the U.S,. But I do have one question . Can the keg be used for secondary fermentation if you add the carbonation drops to it  and seal the lid with say duct tape.

Secondary fermentation is NOT done with carbonation drops or sugar of any kind. The sole purpose of secondary fermentation is to get the beer off of the trub and allow it to age and clarify without running the risk of off flavors from the beer sitting on the trub for prolonged time. If you are wanting to carbonate and condition, use a proper vessel such as a bottle or a proper stainless steel keg. The LBK is for fermentation only and not carbonating.

I guess that I used the wrong terminology when I said second fermentation. What I wanted to know is can I use the Mr. Beer plastic keg INSTEAD of bottles and add carbonation drops to the keg. I have the keg and no other use for it but, if I can use it with the carbo drops at least when it is finished carbonating I could put it in the fridge like a beer keg.

1 minute ago, Werwer2018 said:

I guess that I used the wrong terminology when I said second fermentation. What I wanted to know is can I use the Mr. Beer plastic keg INSTEAD of bottles and add carbonation drops to the keg. I have the keg and no other use for it but, if I can use it with the carbo drops at least when it is finished carbonating I could put it in the fridge like a beer keg.

nope, its not rated for carbing pressures and not designed for it.

2 hours ago, Werwer2018 said:

At the very least, the MrBeer keg can be used for small batches. 

9 hours ago, Werwer2018 said:

Absolutely not.  On top of the fact that it's not designed to hold pressure as stated, you don't bottle beer on a layer of trub...  

As noted, the Mr. Beer keg is a perfectly good 2.5 gallon fermenter.  I've been using a bunch of them as fermenters since 2013, I prefer carrying 2.5 gallons instead of 5, and do split batches.

14 hours ago, Werwer2018 said:

I checked the store locator and there are no places around selling the refills.  But that doesn't matter anymore as I have been contacted by three different Home Brew suppliers who are telling me that Mr. Beer refills are not available in Canada. They are only available through Amazon or Mr.. Beer in the U.S.

Sometimes you can't help people that don't want to be helped.  I would definitely listen to the homebrew suppliers, since they are the best source of information about another company's products...  I mean, what does a Mr. Beer employee like Josh know anyway...  And the homebrew guys aren't trying to win business or anything.

I went to the store locator, and when I bring up the map I see that Canadian Tire sells them as does Peavey Mart.  They seem to focus on the kits though.  So I went to Amazon.ca and found numerous refills available.  You were told that back on January 13th, but instead you stewed until now.  #FirstWorldProblems 

Bewitched Amber Ale at Amazon Canada

All Mr. Beer refills at Amazon Canada

I'm not stewing on it because I'm not going to bring it up again.  But just to clarify I did check the store locator and I don't know why and it's NOT Mr. Beer's fault But Canadian Tire does not stock your product. I have been in touch with four in my area as well as phoned the head office and I'm told they are no longer available. Yes Amazon does sell the refills but from what I've seen they are all from suppliers in the U.S. So I'm just going to forget about it and move on. I didn't come onto this forum to getting into a peeing match, I came onto learn as much as I can about Home Brewing regardless of whose product it is. SO my apologies if I upset anyone but it was not my intention. It just makes me so mad that my wife had to spend what little money she had on this kit and it is hard to get the refills in Canada without paying a lot for different charges. 

2 hours ago, Werwer2018 said:

I'm not stewing on it because I'm not going to bring it up again.  But just to clarify I did check the store locator and I don't know why and it's NOT Mr. Beer's fault But Canadian Tire does not stock your product. I have been in touch with four in my area as well as phoned the head office and I'm told they are no longer available. Yes Amazon does sell the refills but from what I've seen they are all from suppliers in the U.S. So I'm just going to forget about it and move on. I didn't come onto this forum to getting into a peeing match, I came onto learn as much as I can about Home Brewing regardless of whose product it is. SO my apologies if I upset anyone but it was not my intention. It just makes me so mad that my wife had to spend what little money she had on this kit and it is hard to get the refills in Canada without paying a lot for different charges. 

You should learn to read before complaining.

I clicked on the link for the Canadian Blonde, and the first seller is Amazon.ca.  Same for every other one I click on when on that screen. Perhaps you don't know how to use Amazon...?

amazon canada.JPG

As I said in my first reply, we are currently looking into more affordable ways to make our products more accessible to our Canadian customers. This is one of our priorities for 2018. In the meantime, Amazon is always a good option for our Canadian customers. Even if supplied by a US distributor (which would be us), Amazon pays for the shipping, especially if you are a Prime member.