Mr.Beer Community

13 minutes ago, ChefThom said:

Ok it’s an off the wall topic. Any way I could make a batch of nonalcoholic brew.

Its quite a process. Typically if im not mistaken you would brew as normal then put your beer in a pressure cooker and bake off the alcohol. You lose a lot of hop aroma this way so ive been told. I know theres a thread about this on here somewhere

4 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Its quite a process. Typically if im not mistaken you would brew as normal then put your beer in a pressure cooker and bake off the alcohol. You lose a lot of hop aroma this way so ive been told. I know theres a thread about this on here somewhere

Couldn’t find it when I did a quick search. Will try again.

3 minutes ago, ChefThom said:

I thought of mixing the can of wort but instead of adding the yeast transferring to a mini keg/growler with CO2 to carbonate.

Well youd have sugary water then. The process I mentioned earlier is how I believe they do it in the US. Over seas they very well may do your method. You ever have a clausthaler? It tastes like sugar water, i dont care for them at all. I have one in my fridge from a year ago at least

1 hour ago, 76shovel said:

Would you then carb and condition s usual? Would it even carb?

You're not understanding how the carbonation process works.  When you make beer, the yeast ferments sugar and produces CO2 and alcohol.  The CO2 vents off, leaving the alcohol.  You then put the beer in a bottle with sugar, and the yeast eats the sugar and produces a trace amount of alcohol, plus CO2, which carbonates the beer.

If you boil the alcohol off, you've also killed the yeast.  Therefore, you can add sugar all you want, but nothing is going to eat it to make CO2.  Therefore, you'd either have to carbonate with CO2, or you'd have to add some yeast kernels to the bottle.

You'd also have to worry about spoilage.

IMHO, you want non-alcoholic beer, you will have better results going to the store and buying it.  I never have understood drinking alcohol free alcohol, but there are a few brands out there, so someone is drinking the nasty stuff.  - my 2 cents currently worth 1/100 of a penny

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 8:20 AM, RickBeer said:

You're not understanding how the carbonation process works.  When you make beer, the yeast ferments sugar and produces CO2 and alcohol.  The CO2 vents off, leaving the alcohol.  You then put the beer in a bottle with sugar, and the yeast eats the sugar and produces a trace amount of alcohol, plus CO2, which carbonates the beer.

If you boil the alcohol off, you've also killed the yeast.  Therefore, you can add sugar all you want, but nothing is going to eat it to make CO2.  Therefore, you'd either have to carbonate with CO2, or you'd have to add some yeast kernels to the bottle.

You'd also have to worry about spoilage.

Agreed. If you add yeast to carbonate you're producing alcohol. Small amounts of alcohol just the same. To be truly non-alcohol you'd have to keg and carbonate.

I'm just brainstorming here, but what if you only used enough malt to get a 2G batch of non alcoholic beer up to what would normally be the finishing gravity of a fermented beer? FG of 1.012 or something in that ball park? That way you have the malt presence in the quantity it would be in a finished beer but without the crazy sweetness? It would probably be watery as heck but I don't know. It was an idea that popped into my head. If it was too watery maybe you could augment it with something designed to mimic the malt profiles of beer that is not fermentable?