Mr.Beer Community
Bassman

Clean Bottles Between Batches

To be clear, I am talking about bottles that have been initially cleaned of any labels and glue. Also, I am not talking about sanitizing.

After pouring a homebrew I rinse a couple of times and leave it filled with water. I then rinse them the next day and set them aside to store. When getting ready to bottle I do a quick rinse and then use Star San before bottling. 

Is that enough or do I need a PBW clean between batches? I don't let the beer trub dry out in the bottom of the bottle.

What Rick said, except about 10% of the time I end up with a ring at the top of the bottle where I filled to. In those cases I use a bottle brush to remove the ring. Glass bottles only though, don't use a brush on plastic.

As soon as I drain one it get's a drop of dish soap like Rick says.  I fill aabout 1/2 way with warm water, shake the hell out of it, rinse twice and prop it up side down over night. Sanitize at the next bottling.

I only use the 740ml plastic bottles. No tools allowed.

I have looked everywhere for unscented dish soap sure the heck dont want to order it online I mean foodcity walmart big lots none of the stores around me have it. It all has scents. I thought if anyone had unscented it would be dollar tree or dollar general i was wrong. Is there something else i can use to clean the bottles and fermenter??

28 minutes ago, Timelordjason said:

I have looked everywhere for unscented dish soap sure the heck dont want to order it online I mean foodcity walmart big lots none of the stores around me have it. It all has scents. I thought if anyone had unscented it would be dollar tree or dollar general i was wrong. Is there something else i can use to clean the bottles and fermenter??

I see this stuff everywhere. I swear even more than dawn dish soap!

Seventh Generation Dish Liquid, Free & Clear, 25 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RAFNPK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9cqHAbRKBWZD9

Unscented soap or PBW, thats all i ever use. Oh I lied. I use dawn paper towels ALL the damn time! I just rinse really well and dont use it on anything that i wont later clean again. 

image.jpg

Honestly.. I used dawn platinum and a splash of bleach to clean all of my bottles glass and plastic. It is scented but if you rinse it really well there shouldn't be any problem. It did not affect the head retention of my first batch or impart any tastes or smells and trust me, I know what soap tastes like. lol. I have cleaned my fermenter with the stuff twice now and I don't see any reason why I would use anything else unless I could find this mythical unscented dish soap. If you're not sure, just rinse it again.

40 minutes ago, Lorenzai said:

Honestly.. I used dawn platinum and a splash of bleach to clean all of my bottles glass and plastic. It is scented but if you rinse it really well there shouldn't be any problem. It did not affect the head retention of my first batch or impart any tastes or smells and trust me, I know what soap tastes like. lol. I have cleaned my fermenter with the stuff twice now and I don't see any reason why I would use anything else unless I could find this mythical unscented dish soap. If you're not sure, just rinse it again.

Where do yall live? Im blown away that you dont have seventh generation by you. Its in every grocery store here. I used to get it at the little corner market by my old house in a pinch. 

Its your beer. You do what yall want with it, doesn’t bother me one bit. All I know is one time I accidentally used some grapefruit scented stuff to clean a growler which i later gave to a friend and i felt slightly terrible. No matter how much i rinsed it or re washed it, it still smelled like grapefruit. 

Aroma is part of your taste. Its why i hate when im eating my lunch and my coworkers start peeling an orange, My damn tater tot casserole now has an orange taste to it. Drives me nuts! 

While im on a tangent, anything you have to rinse 10,000 times is just a waste of water. I posted a link for amazon. What was it? 3 dollars? Buy it. Thank me later 

I use Oxyclean Free to clean everything.  Just make sure to rinse well after cleaning. 

For bottles, I put about 1/3 of a scoop of Oxyclean Free in a 5 gallon bucket and then fill with hot water.  Make sure it is mixed well then add your glass bottles.  I let them soak for about 5 minutes and then I clean them with a wooden dowel that I have stapled a strip of green scouring pad to the end.  This works better than a brush in my opinion for glass bottles.  I then place them in another 5 gallon bucket of clean water for about 5 minutes and then rinse them in my sink where I have an jet bottle washer attached to the faucet.  They then dry on my bottle tree. 

Note:  These are bottles that I have already done a thorough rinse after emptying.

On 2/14/2018 at 8:10 PM, Timelordjason said:

I found unseated dish soap at Target and even at Walmart from time to time.  And I, a day or two days, wash say a case while I cold crash the LBK,   I sanitize them on bottling day.  .There are some great drying racks (I use a flat one that holds a full case (one LBK).  I am also very lucky as my wife takes recently emptied bottles and rinses them VERY well before they ae turned to my storage area. Yes, keeping bottles clean takes time.  But the better results in taste is worth it.

Another thought.  Ask your local store to special order a few bottles for you.  This suggestion come from a former student of mine who has a daughter who has a strong allergy to most seated products.  The will gladly do so.  She pays in advance.  Go in at a slow time and ask the owner/manager.  Depending on when the distributor sends product in, you may be only waiting a day or two. (usually a distributor is very able to send out a small amount.

13 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Where do yall live? Im blown away that you dont have seventh generation by you. Its in every grocery store here. I used to get it at the little corner market by my old house in a pinch. 

Chattanooga

After bottle filling, I use dish soap (very light scent)  with which I wash the LBK then rinse until I cannot smell anything but hot water. It does not take much.

Then I use the one-step or Mr. B sanitizer in the LBK before brewing or in the bottles before bottling.

I only do ~ 3LBKs a month so it is not expensive.