Mr.Beer Community
cheech226

churchill nut brown ale kit

on 1/12/18 i began my brewing journey. i did a lot of reading here and another forum before i started the procedure. J A from the other forum sent me here to get equipment specific info. so far i have no questions. my initial fermentation has subsided and i'm waiting patiently for feb 2nd to bottle my brew. my lbk has been kept at 64-66 f so far thanks to the cold temps we're having in se loosiana. one of my favorite commercial ales is sam smith's nut brown ale and i'm hoping to end up with something close. 

so hello to my fellow brewers, more to come from me as time goes on.

thanks! i'm curious if anyone else here has brewed the nut brown ale from the kit. any kit specific info would be welcome. 

yeah i feel comfortable so far. seems brewing is a little like growing mushrooms and i was good at that with the sterile technique and following procedure.

i am going to start getting supplies ready for my next brew. i'm looking at us-05 yeast to ferment. i see the small packs are 11.5 g. is this the amount needed for a 2 gal. brew? there are larger sizes available. if i were to buy more than i can use at one time how should it be stored?

edit:  i plan to brew brown ales in the future until i hit my goal of the sam smith ale.

11.5 grams is the size for a 5 gallon batch.  You can use it for a 2 gallon batch, but it's twice what is needed.  

To my knowledge, the only other size is 500 grams, that's for a commercial brewer.

No, you cannot store dry yeast for another time.  The risk of contamination, as well as yeast cells dying, is too high.  "Use it or lose it".

If you're making a British Brown Ale,  you should use S-04 instead of S-05.  

2 hours ago, cheech226 said:

did you bottle at 3 weeks? that's my plan so far. then 4 weeks for bottle conditioning. after that i'll put a bottle in the fridge for a day or so to taste and go from there. does this sound like the plan?

Yep, bottled at three weeks then four weeks conditioning.  It wasn't quite ready so I'm giving it another few weeks.

34 minutes ago, KaijuBrew said:

Welcome @cheech226!

I noticed that the yeast packet under the lid the Churchill extract I used to make a Calavara Chile stout said “Churchill Yeast”.  Is this somehow different than the standard Mr. Beer yeast?

From what I understand from the guys at Coopers, it is an English-style yeast and is different than the basic yeasts than come with the other cans (with the exception of the Bavarian Weissbier, which also uses it's own yeast). It will enhance the maltiness of the beer, while the regular Coopers yeast is more neutral (but does have some fruity esters).

9 hours ago, cheech226 said:

on 1/12/18 i began my brewing journey. i did a lot of reading here and another forum before i started the procedure. J A from the other forum sent me here to get equipment specific info. so far i have no questions. my initial fermentation has subsided and i'm waiting patiently for feb 2nd to bottle my brew. my lbk has been kept at 64-66 f so far thanks to the cold temps we're having in se loosiana. one of my favorite commercial ales is sam smith's nut brown ale and i'm hoping to end up with something close. 

so hello to my fellow brewers, more to come from me as time goes on.

Welcome and keep reading, there is a huge wealth of information here.

i'm glad to get some input from brewers of this ale. i've bought a stick-on thermometer to affix to my lbk. it's reading 64f. is this ok? i know it's on the low side of the temps for my yeast.

edit: i used the yeast that came with the kit.

22 minutes ago, Shrike said:

If you brew it, let us know how it turns out, please.

oh i'm going to make it for my next brew. i'll surely keep y'all posted. i have 2 weeks left on my kit brew i'm dong now, then my lbk will be free.

Cheech - I brew on the cooler side too. Beers have been fermenting just fine, just give it the full three weeks, even if the hydrometer says it is done. In truth, my last few beers have been over three weeks by a few days,  just because I can't find time to bottle, and again, they are fine.

On 1/17/2018 at 3:58 PM, MRB Josh R said:

From what I understand from the guys at Coopers, it is an English-style yeast and is different than the basic yeasts than come with the other cans (with the exception of the Bavarian Weissbier, which also uses it's own yeast). It will enhance the maltiness of the beer, while the regular Coopers yeast is more neutral (but does have some fruity esters).

Thanks @MRB Josh R!  Interesting that the yeast can make such a difference.

here i am 1 week into my ale. everything seems to be going fine. i shined a flashlite into my lbk but couldn't see any activity. the outside of it is kinda dirty from a bit of foam  that was produced during initial fermentation that bubbled through the lid so it's hard to see clearly inside. i do have a layer of trub on the bottom of my tilted lbk. no worries. waiting for feb 2nd to bottle. time is going slow!

50 minutes ago, cheech226 said:

here i am 1 week into my ale. everything seems to be going fine. i shined a flashlite into my lbk but couldn't see any activity. the outside of it is kinda dirty from a bit of foam  that was produced during initial fermentation that bubbled through the lid so it's hard to see clearly inside. i do have a layer of trub on the bottom of my tilted lbk. no worries. waiting for feb 2nd to bottle. time is going slow!

If the outside is dirty from an overflow, I would clean it off if only because stuff likes to grow on it which could be an isdue at bottlong time.

I had a Churchill's last night (brewed straight up with one addition, 4oz carapils) and it was quite tasty.  As can be expected with some of the MRB extracts, it's darker than you might expect, but as Nut Brown Ales go it's got the flavor right. I'll do this one straight up again.

the 3 weeks are up! before i put the lbk into the fridge to cold crash i took a hydrometer reading and tasted the sample. it tastes Good! the hydrometer read ~1.015. i'll bottle on monday and on tuesday i'll brew the sam smith nut brown ale. i'm a very happy brewer

so far.

Edited by cheech226
wording

1 hour ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

I'm sorry, this forum is for Mr. Beer.  Are you looking for the Mr. Winnebago forum?

haha, edited. camping brewer maybe?  ;-)

really tho...i was very happy with the taste of my sample. can't wait for the bubbles!

Edited by cheech226
more info