Mr.Beer Community
cheech226

churchill nut brown ale kit

12 hours ago, SilverBrewerWI said:

Congratulations, you made beer.....yay.....you will like it better than what you used to buy

Yep!  I gotta admit that I get a bit of a thrill when I have a beer out at a pub or restaurant and I realize "Hey, I've made tastier beer than this!"  :)

i bottled today after a 3 day cold crash at about 35f. the trub was solid and the last bottle had no visible sediment. the last bottle was only about 2/3 full but i had already added the 2 carbonation drops. i hope it doesn't  pop. i did remove all the rings from the caps and i'm glad i did.  before cleaning, i did a test fit with a cap on one bottle with the ring. after i removed the cap to sanitize,  the ring remained and that bottle leaked while shaking the cleaner solution. i removed the ring before filling the bottle with the last of the ale in the keg. now the wait......

i brewed the sam smith nut brown ale recipe yesterday. everything seems fine so far.  my og was a little higher than the specs, it was 1.051. i'm keeping the lbk in the low 60's for the 3 weeks. i need a time machine......

my bottles of churchill have firmed up nicely and there's a bit of trub on the bottoms from the sugar i guess.

1 hour ago, Timelordjason said:

I hae one of these being shipped now 
Curious on what the the best conditioning time you guys have experienced.

I tried one six weeks after bottling and it wasn't quite ready.  I had another two weeks after that and it was good to go.

i put my trub bottle in the fridge 2 days ago. it was only about 2/3 full and had only been in the bottle a little over two weeks. the real (yeah..) reason i wanted to taste it was to see how carbonated it was. the drops worked well. the ale had a sharp taste i'm gonna put to not enough conditioning. i'll be bottling my sam smith nut brown ale on friday and i'm glad to see the carb drops worked ok. i'll use them on that batch

i just couldn't wait to try the churchill nut brown from the kit. pretty good, a little extra fizzy, but not ready. may have been oxidized too from all the head room in the bottle. i plan to do the ss nut brown ale again for my next brew with a few tweaks. the recipe is in an earlier post in this thread. all in all i'm pleased with mr beer, but i doubt i'll brew one of their kits again.

14 minutes ago, cheech226 said:

i tried a bottle of churchill after 4 weeks 3 days. pretty darn good! still has a bit of that sharpness. i'll wait until 6 weeks and try again

beer.jpg

My first taste of Churchill's was after about 4 or 5 weeks in the bottle. I got that "sharp" taste too. I tasted a bottle a week later, much better. The sharpness was reduced and the roastiness was coming through nicely. I have one in fridge right now, about 6 or 7 weeks in the bottle. I may taste it tonight. I also found that, as you would expect, 

I have a churchill in week 2 fermentation right now. 
I am torn between just letting it alone or adding some nuts for week 3.
i have some hickory nuts and was just going to crush them and throw them in.
For some reason I feel i probably shouldn't though.
I Have no idea what the effect of adding nuts in week 3 would do and i have no idea what the flavor of hickory nut would do as far as flavor. 

I am telling you guys it will be very very hard for me not to experiment with brews.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:52 PM, Timelordjason said:

I was afraid it may be an overload so Ill just let it be then.

i'm not sure of how experienced you are as a brewer. my churchill was my first brew. i think it would be best left alone. get some more complex brews under your belt and then have at it! 

i even got FREE usps priority shipping!! it will arrive saturday and i will brew it right up. i should have bought 2.

just went back to check and sure enough the free shipping option had disappeared from the list. oh well i should have struck hard while the iron was hot. the ale is still on sale tho. i'm guessing it was a mistake. there was free shipping on orders over $25 for father's day sale. someone goofed, i did contact mr beer to thank them for the nice present.