Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BradsBeer

Is this an infection?

Brewing the Golden Empire.  12 days brewing, 64-68*F.  

Did a taste, it as a golden color, tasted beery and bitter.  Is the coloring on top from the El Dorado hops?

Is it infected ? 

20180119_170854.jpg

20180119_170915.jpg

41 minutes ago, BradsBeer said:

Brewing the Golden Empire.  12 days brewing, 64-68*F.  

Did a taste, it as a golden color, tasted beery and bitter.  Is the coloring on top from the El Dorado hops?

Is it infected ? 

20180119_170854.jpg

20180119_170915.jpg

Doenst look like an infection to me. Different yeasts will do crazy things to your beer. Some barely leave a trail and some look as messy as child birth. Just how it goes.

12 days is still early. Thatll settle after cold crashing. Let it ferment another 5-7 days

On 1/19/2018 at 8:02 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Doenst look like an infection to me. Different yeasts will do crazy things to your beer. Some barely leave a trail and some look as messy as child birth. Just how it goes.

12 days is still early. Thatll settle after cold crashing. Let it ferment another 5-7 days

On 1/19/2018 at 8:56 PM, gophers6 said:

And leave the lid on.

Like these guys said. Doesn’t look like an infection and it tasted like beer. Put the lid back on and leave it until you've done 18-21 days total, then cold crash for 3 days. Next time don’t take the lid off. 

Cold crashed for 3 days and bottled it today.  Tasters were delicious, very beery nothing off flavor.  Can't wait to try it in 5 weeks.  The hop bags had mushy hops inside, lots of said hops dissolved thru bags and into the wort ergo the green coloring.

6 hours ago, BradsBeer said:

Cold crashed for 3 days and bottled it today.  Tasters were delicious, very beery nothing off flavor.  Can't wait to try it in 5 weeks.  The hop bags had mushy hops inside, lots of said hops dissolved thru bags and into the wort ergo the green coloring.

Yeah, but no.  Hops aren't going to color your beer green.  If your beer is green you have some problem.  I suspect when you finally drink it you'll find it's not green.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:08 AM, RickBeer said:

Yeah, but no.  Hops aren't going to color your beer green.  If your beer is green you have some problem.  I suspect when you finally drink it you'll find it's not green.

Probably some green flecks is what he's seeing.

oxidized(?) krausen has a green/tan to brown color sometimes.. partly oxides and partly hop oils and hop dust. krausen looks all pretty and white when brand new , but as it ages it can look ugly.  that's why it falls out. all the yeast point and stare as the krausen ages , and they make rude comments so the krausen collapses in a fit of shame and humiliation.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:08 AM, RickBeer said:

The green bits are in my pictures on first post.

Samples before bottling we're a golden brown color.  Looked good.

Hops that were in the bags were green mush.

16 minutes ago, BradsBeer said:

The green bits are in my pictures on first post.

Samples before bottling we're a golden brown color.  Looked good.

Hops that were in the bags were green mush.

Pellets seem to break up into the mush you're referring to. When I tossed some in a boil yesterday my beer turned green for a little while too. The rolling boil took care of that quickly and the color turned back to normal.