Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BradsBeer

Is this an infection?

Brewing the Golden Empire.  12 days brewing, 64-68*F.  

Did a taste, it as a golden color, tasted beery and bitter.  Is the coloring on top from the El Dorado hops?

Is it infected ? 

20180119_170854.jpg

20180119_170915.jpg

41 minutes ago, BradsBeer said:

Brewing the Golden Empire.  12 days brewing, 64-68*F.  

Did a taste, it as a golden color, tasted beery and bitter.  Is the coloring on top from the El Dorado hops?

Is it infected ? 

20180119_170854.jpg

20180119_170915.jpg

Doenst look like an infection to me. Different yeasts will do crazy things to your beer. Some barely leave a trail and some look as messy as child birth. Just how it goes.

12 days is still early. Thatll settle after cold crashing. Let it ferment another 5-7 days

On 1/19/2018 at 8:02 PM, Creeps McLane said:

Doenst look like an infection to me. Different yeasts will do crazy things to your beer. Some barely leave a trail and some look as messy as child birth. Just how it goes.

12 days is still early. Thatll settle after cold crashing. Let it ferment another 5-7 days

On 1/19/2018 at 8:56 PM, gophers6 said:

And leave the lid on.

Like these guys said. Doesn’t look like an infection and it tasted like beer. Put the lid back on and leave it until you've done 18-21 days total, then cold crash for 3 days. Next time don’t take the lid off. 

Cold crashed for 3 days and bottled it today.  Tasters were delicious, very beery nothing off flavor.  Can't wait to try it in 5 weeks.  The hop bags had mushy hops inside, lots of said hops dissolved thru bags and into the wort ergo the green coloring.

6 hours ago, BradsBeer said:

Cold crashed for 3 days and bottled it today.  Tasters were delicious, very beery nothing off flavor.  Can't wait to try it in 5 weeks.  The hop bags had mushy hops inside, lots of said hops dissolved thru bags and into the wort ergo the green coloring.

Yeah, but no.  Hops aren't going to color your beer green.  If your beer is green you have some problem.  I suspect when you finally drink it you'll find it's not green.

On 2/1/2018 at 8:08 AM, RickBeer said:

Yeah, but no.  Hops aren't going to color your beer green.  If your beer is green you have some problem.  I suspect when you finally drink it you'll find it's not green.

Probably some green flecks is what he's seeing.

oxidized(?) krausen has a green/tan to brown color sometimes.. partly oxides and partly hop oils and hop dust. krausen looks all pretty and white when brand new , but as it ages it can look ugly.  that's why it falls out. all the yeast point and stare as the krausen ages , and they make rude comments so the krausen collapses in a fit of shame and humiliation.

On 2/1/2018 at 6:08 AM, RickBeer said:

The green bits are in my pictures on first post.

Samples before bottling we're a golden brown color.  Looked good.

Hops that were in the bags were green mush.

16 minutes ago, BradsBeer said:

The green bits are in my pictures on first post.

Samples before bottling we're a golden brown color.  Looked good.

Hops that were in the bags were green mush.

Pellets seem to break up into the mush you're referring to. When I tossed some in a boil yesterday my beer turned green for a little while too. The rolling boil took care of that quickly and the color turned back to normal.

im thinking i have my 1st infection. this is an ipa. i used omega hothead and so this batch is not temp controlled. ambient ranged from 68-78. this is day 18. i was dry hopping it and i opened the lid and dropped the hop sack in. there was/is a thick bubbly foam. looks moldy to me. kind of crunched a little bit as it broke through the "crust". before I dump it, does anyone disagree with me about this? i thought i was spot on with my sanitation. something could have happened when i was cooling the wort down with ice in my sink. don't know.

infection.jpg

Not much you can do  except let it do its thing and taste it when time comes to bottle. If it tastes bad chuck it, if drinkable bottle it. You could taste it now with a sterile spoon I guess but I would let if go - you are only 3 days away.

3 hours ago, Jdub said:

im thinking i have my 1st infection. this is an ipa. i used omega hothead and so this batch is not temp controlled. ambient ranged from 68-78. this is day 18. i was dry hopping it and i opened the lid and dropped the hop sack in. there was/is a thick bubbly foam. looks moldy to me. kind of crunched a little bit as it broke through the "crust". before I dump it, does anyone disagree with me about this? i thought i was spot on with my sanitation. something could have happened when i was cooling the wort down with ice in my sink. don't know.

infection.jpg

Man, i dont know. I dont think mold would look like that. It typically starts around the edges and would be green or brown. A bacterial pellicle is not that thick. But if it crunches then i dont know. Looks like active fermentation from where i stand. But it sure does look strange 

6 hours ago, Creeps McLane said:

Man, i dont know. I dont think mold would look like that. It typically starts around the edges and would be green or brown. A bacterial pellicle is not that thick. But if it crunches then i dont know. Looks like active fermentation from where i stand. But it sure does look strange 

yeah what got me is the crunch sound when the hop sack broke through it. also this is day 18. i would expect clear beer with very little foam on top. I'm not sure.

38 minutes ago, BDawg62 said:

Looks like Krausen to me.

i would agree except it's day 18. haven't seen that before. however, I haven't seen everything.

1 hour ago, Jdub said:

i would agree except it's day 18. haven't seen that before. however, I haven't seen everything.

It is most likely a very thick raft of yeast that is just being stubborn and not falling.  Every fermentation is different.  I have one going now where there was a layer of krausen on top for the first 24 hours and now that has all been absorbed and all I see if very fine bubbles from fermentation that break as soon as they hit the surface.  Beer almost looks like it is boiling. 

I have had it where I had to be careful not to distrurb a layer of yeast (krausen) like the one you have when transferring for bottling. 

Yeast are alive and just like people they are all different.😉

@Nickfixit @BDawg62 @Creeps McLane i e-mailed Omega. got a quick response from the owner: "Some of the kveik cultures, like Hothead, form a thick, persistent krausen on top of the fermented beer. What you're describing doesn't sound like an infection. We brewed a porter recently where HotHead did the same thing."

I also sent him a picture and he said he suspects it will be fine and to go ahead and taste it. Looked like kveik yeast sitting on top to him.

JDub

1 hour ago, JoshR said:

It's not an infection @Jdub. I've used that yeast many times and it reacts the same way. It's common for the kveik strains.

that's great to know. although it will interesting bottling it b/c i don't want that stuff anywhere near my spigot. we'll see if cold crashing it in a few days will help. I used  Hothead before with a batch of santa rita pale ale, and never experienced that. 

On 10/8/2018 at 8:24 PM, Jdub said:

infection.jpg

if anyone cares....an update. i cold crashed for 3 days after 21 days fermenting. all of the yeast dropped to the bottom. nothing on top. had a taste and it was good. little low gravity for my taste, but was good. this is an AG pale ale. only got 21 12 oz glass bottles. made the recipe 2.5 gallons but there was a TON of trub in the bottom of my LBK.