Mr.Beer Community
rowe0123

Gunk in bottom of bottles

I have been doing some research and I’m not exactly sure I have found the answer so hopefully someone can help me out. I am nearing the end of fully completing my first batch! I followed all instructions during the fermentation process, added the sugar drops into my plastic bottles and have them  conditioning, my concern right now is that at the bottom of the bottles I am seeing gunk. What I believe this gunk is, is the gunk that came out of the keg after  fermenting. A few questions:

1. Am I correct on what/where the gunk came from?

2. Is it safe to drink?

3. What can I do differently on my next brews? 

4. Should I transfer everything into a growler or pour it into a glass when time to drink so I am not consuming that gunk?

thank you for your input? 

17 minutes ago, rowe0123 said:

I have been doing some research and I’m not exactly sure I have found the answer so hopefully someone can help me out. I am nearing the end of fully completing my first batch! I followed all instructions during the fermentation process, added the sugar drops into my plastic bottles and have them  conditioning, my concern right now is that at the bottom of the bottles I am seeing gunk. What I believe this gunk is, is the gunk that came out of the keg after  fermenting. A few questions:

1. Am I correct on what/where the gunk came from?

2. Is it safe to drink?

3. What can I do differently on my next brews? 

4. Should I transfer everything into a growler or pour it into a glass when time to drink so I am not consuming that gunk?

thank you for your input? 

Thats called yeast sediment. It’ll help keep you regular if you choose to drink it. Otherwise just pour slowly into a glass and avoid getting the last little bit in your glass. Dont drink straight out of the bottle. 

Plenty of commercial beers are “bottle conditioned “. Thats what yours are too.

to avoid the sediment you can keg your beer and bottles with a counterpressure filler. Thats a bit of an investment but its how i bottle if i ever do so.

your beer is safe. You did nothing wrong and you will not die drinking it

Thank you all very much! I am looking forward to trying my new beer, Kristof I think I’ll pass on having you taste the beer, by doing that I am ruining the best part of this hobby lol 

Naturally carbonating in the bottle (adding the sugar and capping, letting the yeast have a snack creating some co2) will produce a bit of trub in the bottles. This is completely normal and considered a good thing. As mentioned above,  just slowly pour into a glass and avoid pouring the "gunk" in the bottom of the bottle.

re drinking gunk.. is it safe? yes. high in b complex vitamins from dead/sleeping yeast and stuff.  would you want to drink it? no. trub would likely give you bloating, the runs, and cramps from hell if you drank enough of it.   most trub tastes awful.

some yeast used in beer styles like hefeweizens are prized for the added flavor the trub in the bottle contributes.  in fact 'hefeweizen' beers are meant to be consumed with the yeast swirled up into the beer.  to truly enjoy one, you pour half into the glass, then swirl the bottle to kick up the bottle trub into the beer and add that to the glass. until your body gets used to consuming live yeast though you can expect the aforementioned side effects.