Jabo

Only Added 1 Sugar Primer

5 posts in this topic

Bottled my 1st brew, the Octoberfest. It's been a week, and some of the 22oz bottles are much harder than others. I'm pretty sure I forgot to add 2 sugar primers in some of the bottles. Can I open the softer ones and drop in another primer? Thanks!

48 minutes ago, Jabo said:

Bottled my 1st brew, the Octoberfest. It's been a week, and some of the 22oz bottles are much harder than others. I'm pretty sure I forgot to add 2 sugar primers in some of the bottles. Can I open the softer ones and drop in another primer? Thanks!

If you're keeping the bottles at 70 or higher, they should firm up within a week or so.  If you're using table sugar, you can't add it after.  If you're using Mr. Beer drops, you could - but you better be confident you didn't put them in to start...

That's why you need a process.  Put a drop in every bottle, then fill.

Jabo likes this

1 hour ago, Jabo said:

Make the soft ones your last bottles. At this point, I'd be concerned about over priming and contamination. As @RickBeer, process.

Jabo likes this

Thanks guys. Good advice. I didn't consider I might blow out the bottles. As they are on top shelf of closet, that would not be good, and the wife would kill me! 

Timelordjason likes this

On 1/28/2018 at 8:54 AM, Jabo said:

Thanks guys. Good advice. I didn't consider I might blow out the bottles. As they are on top shelf of closet, that would not be good, and the wife would kill me! 

Just in case keep them in a box of some kind