C-Note 1959

Baltic Porter recipe

10 posts in this topic

This is a seasonal and after researching for any info on this I came up short.  The Mr. Beer website looks like they have taken it down for this season/year. I even went through the old recipes restored section and it is not listed there. Can any body help a fellow brewer out?

Thanks.

I have the can of HME and the packet of Saflager S-23 yeast. Was just wondering about the best fermentation temp on this one. Another thing is this can is about double the size of the regular porter can and was wondering if one could replicate it with 2 cans of  the American Porter that is always available from Mr. Beer?

Thanks

Saflager S-23 is a versatile lager yeast that can be used at cool fermentation temperatures of 50-57 ºF.  I would highly recommend brewing the Baltic Porter seasonal as is and you will not be disappointed!

C-Note 1959 likes this

45 minutes ago, C-Note 1959 said:

I have the can of HME and the packet of Saflager S-23 yeast. Was just wondering about the best fermentation temp on this one. Another thing is this can is about double the size of the regular porter can and was wondering if one could replicate it with 2 cans of  the American Porter that is always available from Mr. Beer?

Thanks

For your Yeast question, i will deffer to @Bonsai & Brews reply above. 

For the HME question, i dont think it can be duplicated that way as the flavor profile is a bit different between the two. @MRB Josh R or @MRB Tim might be able to shed more light on the subject.

C-Note 1959 likes this

56 minutes ago, C-Note 1959 said:

Thanks

No.  A Baltic Porter is very different from an American Porter.

C-Note 1959, MRB Tim and MRB Josh R like this

43 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Saflager S-23 is a versatile lager yeast that can be used at cool fermentation temperatures of 50-57 ºF.  I would highly recommend brewing the Baltic Porter seasonal as is and you will not be disappointed!

I was planning to brew as is. But some how misplaced the instructions. I find it funny that Mr. Beer would take the instructions so quickly off the website. If the yeast likes cooler temps it probably is better to get it done in the cooler winter months, then let it bottle age until next fall. YUMMY!

12 minutes ago, C-Note 1959 said:

I was planning to brew as is. But some how misplaced the instructions. I find it funny that Mr. Beer would take the instructions so quickly off the website. If the yeast likes cooler temps it probably is better to get it done in the cooler winter months, then let it bottle age until next fall. YUMMY!

Usually they are archived on our support page, but I'm not sure why this one wasn't. I will have the team look into it when they get back on Monday. In any case, the instructions for that beer is the same as any of our Mr. Beer refills, other than the temperature. You can follow the instructions for this archived lager to brew your Baltic Porter: https://www.mrbeer.com/dopplebock-2014-spring-seasonal

Shrike and C-Note 1959 like this

1 hour ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

The baltic porter has a higher ABV which requires a yeast capable of surviving the higher alcohol content. For the lager yeast, I would keep the temperature as close to 50-52 degrees. 

C-Note 1959 likes this