Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Marius

Bottle cap issue- Help!

I bottled my first beer one week ago. Being a curious newbie, every couple of days I would squeeze the bottles a little to see how things were carbonating. I have been following these four bottles that did not appear to be getting firm. I have made sure that the caps were tight. Today after reading everything I could find, I decided to turn them upside down and that is when I noticed a little beer dripping out. Despite tightening it seems that the bottom ring is preventing these from sealing. I quickly opened them, pulled the ring off and re-tightened. That seems to have fixed the leaking. Question- are these beers doomed or do they have a chance to carbonate? 

They likely have lost some carbonation.

When you get the new bottle caps with the rings on them, put them on an empty bottle, tighten until the ring breaks off, then remove.  Then use the bottle.

If you switch to new caps, you need to cut off the old ring from the bottle first, cannot have 2 rings on a bottle.

Interesting. I haven't had this issue, and I've used quite a few new caps. I think it's kinda cool to actually have to break that seal on a fresh bottle of beer, lol. I'll be on the lookout for this in the future.

I'm not sure exactly why the caps leaked. I just guessed about the rings. All I know now is that the caps do not appear to leak without the ring. It only happened on four out of ten bottles. I will remove the rings in the future and test for leaks before storing. So, will the beer be bad or just be under carbonated?

There's been other posters here before with the same issue. Personally, I've never removed the rings and they've never caused a problem. If they are all the way down, and sitting flat instead of cock eyed, I don't see what they could hurt.

As RickBeer said, they may have lost a little carbonation, but now that they are sealed, leave them be. I bet that you'll have no noticeable difference in carbonation, especially if you primed with the amount of sugar recommended by MB.

Now that I have opened them and then re tightened, I will leave them to see what happens. If nothing in the next week, maybe add a carb drop to two as an experiment and drink the other two flat.

I bottled for the first time last week. Until the ring was broken, bottles would not seal. Even with ring broken, when I put caps on, I had to tighten them a ridiculous amount to get them to seal. It actually made my hand sore. Seems odd to have to tighten so much when common cheap water bottle seals easily with little effort.

I'm having this exact same problem. Just bottled my first beer tonight and 5 of the bottles leak when you turn them upside down. I tried to break the seal and reseat them and it helped with 2 but 3 are still leaking. You can hear air escape when you squeeze them.  Very disappointed in this!

Update. After taking off the rings and re-tightening, I think that they are sealed. I found a cabinet above the refrigerator that is the perfect temp and the bottles are firming up nicely. I am going to check my next batch closer when bottling. Dry everything real good then do the upside down test with a dry paper towel to detect moisture. I'm still not sure about those rings. FYI- the rings did not break off as expected, when the caps were taken off. I had to break them off myself. 

Yes, I would recommend that. My beer had been bottled for one week when I noticed that four were leaking. I opened them one at a time, removed the ring completely, did not add any sugar and put the cap back on. They are all carbonating today. I did not think that it would work out so well but the bottles are sealed and getting firmer. Next week, I think I will put one in the refrigerator for three days and give it a try. 

17 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

I recommend contacting our customer service department for replacement caps/bottles. This has been a recent recurring issue and we are investigating.

Are these standard caps or the special caps for long term conditioning?

Just now, D Kristof said:

Are these standard caps or the special caps for long term conditioning?

Standard caps for the regular PET bottles, I believe. We are working with the manufacturer to find out what went wrong on the last batch. Not sure if it's the caps' liner or the threads. It's not a widespread issue, but we have had at least a few emails and calls about it.

12 hours ago, MRB Josh R said:

Standard caps for the regular PET bottles, I believe. We are working with the manufacturer to find out what went wrong on the last batch. Not sure if it's the caps' liner or the threads. It's not a widespread issue, but we have had at least a few emails and calls about it.

I had to absolutely he-man my caps on to get them to seal. Oddly, there's not anything that looks off about them at all. They look fine but there's obviously something amiss. Once they carbonate I'm probably going to need a pipe wrench to open them back up! lol.

@MRB Josh R  I absolutely think there is something to this. I have been conditioning my 1st batch for 4 weeks now. Some of them just haven’t gotten hard yet. Very soft still. Just read this and went and checked my bottles. Turned one upside down and then I could hear fizz/gas escaping. Looks like the ring is being stoped by that lip on the bottle. Feel like I’ve wasted a month. What to do now?

Now I’m looking at the deluxe glass bottling system through mr beer that comes with a gross of caps and the capper thingy. Also saving my sammy and modelo bottles for future use. This is getting expensive to get started considering I haven’t even brewed a successful batch yet. I am thinking about my beer future. I have already bought 5 12 packs of 740’s. Now the bottle cap issue has got me thinking about glass. Any thoughts? Pontificating as I’m drinking my store bought beer.......

I have a bottling day tomorrow. I’m glad that you guys mentioned this issue. When you wait weeks for the next step you don’t want any problems like that. 

It was decided to remove all rings from bottle caps before putting on any bottles.

(original kit 11 bottles-740ml, additional (3) 12 bottles-740ml)

Made no sense to me to use rings.  If not an issue now, it seemed as if it could be later for

cleaning, re-use & replacement.  Small pliers used to slowly & carefully remove rings.

Bottled 2 batches so far, no issues  Don't expect any issues for next 2 bottling.

The caps screw on firmly and securely, don't know how it's with the ring, never tried.

On 2/18/2018 at 2:20 PM, Jdub said:

@MRB Josh R  I absolutely think there is something to this. I have been conditioning my 1st batch for 4 weeks now. Some of them just haven’t gotten hard yet. Very soft still. Just read this and went and checked my bottles. Turned one upside down and then I could hear fizz/gas escaping. Looks like the ring is being stoped by that lip on the bottle. Feel like I’ve wasted a month. What to do now?

As I said above, I recommend contacting our customer service department for replacement caps/bottles. This has been a recent recurring issue and we are investigating.