Mr.Beer Community
Ky's Guy

2 Row Malt in my wort

So I made the mistake of mixing my hops and 2 Row Malt. I tried to separate the two when I was making my wort but there ended up still being quite a bit of grain in the cheesecloth. Is this going to cause problems in fermentation over the next 18 Days?  Will this cause an off flavor?  Should I just scrap it and start over?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Ky's Guy said:

So I made the mistake of mixing my hops and 2 Row Malt. I tried to separate the two when I was making my wort but there ended up still being quite a bit of grain in the cheesecloth. Is this going to cause problems in fermentation over the next 18 Days?  Will this cause an off flavor?  Should I just scrap it and start over?  Thanks!

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/Relax%2C+Don't+Worry%2C+Have+A+Homebrew

12 minutes ago, efdbrian said:

First a bit of clarification please. Did the 2 row go in with the hops into your boil kettle or into the fermenting beer as a dry hop? This will make a difference. 

That was my first thought.  We need clarity for a proper diagnosis.

Ok. If it went through the boil you should be pretty safe. Grains have naturally occurring lactobacillus on them. If the grain went directly into the fermenter you could run a risk of an infected beer. 

As as far as off flavors, if it wasn’t much grain it shouldn’t cause much of an off flavor. Generally you want to keep the grains out of the boil. Boiling grains will cause the beer to be astringent. 

Edited by efdbrian