Kevinah64

Hot and spicy

13 posts in this topic

So how do you add jalapeno and Chipotle or chili flavors to beer? I had a friend who made a batch once, but never asked how it was made. Thanks!

I've only made one beer with chiles, the Calavera Spiced Chile Stout (which is delicious).  The process is similar to the one in the link RickBeer posted except I used dried ancho chiles.  They were chopped up, put in a muslin sack, and boiled in the grain water for a few minutes before removing from heat and adding the HME and LME.

Brewing a batch with the amount of chiles in either one of those recipes (or just ordering the whole recipe and giving it a try) will give you a good baseline as to how much chile flavor you want in your beer.  I really enjoy the Calavera, but one dried ancho isn't enough IMNSHO.  Next time I brew it I'll use two.

I brew all grain and have a Jalapeno Cream Ale that I make.

But you could try this with an American Ale HME.

Cut 2 Jalapeno peppers in half long ways and then, depending on how much heat you want, take out the seeds and white pith inside.  If you want more heat leave more of the pith (that is where the heat comes from).  Roast them in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Then soak them in a couple ounces of Vodka overnight. 

Steep 4 oz of 2 row malt and 2 oz of smoked malt in about 2 quarts of water for 30 minutes at 150 degrees.  Then boil the resulting wort for 20 minutes and add a muslin bag containing the jalapenos for the last 10 minutes.  Also add the Vodka at the same time.  Remove the bag and proceed with adding the HME and brew as you normally would. 

You will need to play with it to get the heat where you want it.  Also remember, not all Jalapenos have the same level of heat.

i make a pretty good smoked chipotle porter.  i use some smoked malt in the grain bill (cherry wood smoked)  and 10 days before bottling i steep 2 chipotle peppers in enough rock and rye liquor to cover... seeds and all. .. in a hop sack.  i steep it until about the last 4 days of fermentation in a 3 week ferment. then i dump the whole thing into the fermenter. rock and rye.. pepper sack.   the R&R adds a nice flavor and the peppers add heat and smoked intensity.

C-Note 1959 likes this

The first time I tried to make the Fresco lime Chili I found out too late my chilies were terribly bland so in desperation I added some ground cayenne, too much of it and the result was less of a beer, more of a hot liquid substance that DID NOT get better with age. To date it's still the only beer I've dumped.   Recently I tried again using the Aztec base, added a Pale LME, a small pack of booster, maybe 1.5 cups of a blend of diced (and blanched) jalapenos and red cherry chilies, bagged, The sample at bottling was actually good.  I did not add lime zest to this batch, if I want a lime kick I can give it a shot of lime juice or a lime slice in the glass. May 1st will give me 6 weeks of carb/conditioning before I chill a bottle, feeling more positive about this round.

Cato, Shrike and Kevinah64 like this

16 hours ago, 76shovel said:

The first time I tried to make the Fresco lime Chili I found out too late my chilies were terribly bland so in desperation I added some ground cayenne, too much of it and the result was less of a beer, more of a hot liquid substance that DID NOT get better with age. To date it's still the only beer I've dumped.   Recently I tried again using the Aztec base, added a Pale LME, a small pack of booster, maybe 1.5 cups of a blend of diced (and blanched) jalapenos and red cherry chilies, bagged, The sample at bottling was actually good.  I did not add lime zest to this batch, if I want a lime kick I can give it a shot of lime juice or a lime slice in the glass. May 1st will give me 6 weeks of carb/conditioning before I chill a bottle, feeling more positive about this round.

I just made a batch yesterday (april 1st) using 5 large jalepenos, and zest of a lime... maybe it will be ready by memorial day weekend...maybe. looking forward to the end result....

Shrike likes this

There was a recipe here called Chile Fest Porter that involved jalapeños.  The resulting beer is *very* spicy.  To the point that the spice of the pepper kind of overwhelms the beer.  I see the recipe is here no longer so perhaps Mr. Beer realized it was a bit imbalanced.

I have made the Calavera Chile Stout twice with the Ancho Chiles, vanilla and cocoa nibs and it is EXCELLENT.

Shrike likes this

15 hours ago, KaijuBrew said:

Any idea why the recipe is now archived?

We recently noticed that we had creeped over 120 recipes (if I'm remembering right), when we want to keep it around 80. So, a few of them were archived, typically meaning that we still carry the ingredients, just not as a recipe bundle. Sometimes, we discontinue an ingredient and that's why a recipe gets archived, but other times it's just for website organization. 

Shrike and KaijuBrew like this

On 4/1/2018 at 8:48 PM, 76shovel said:

Jumped in early and tried the trub bottle tonight after 3 days chilling.  I am thinking I have yet to make a good chili beer.  It is better than my first attempt and better yet with a squeeze of lime in it.  Definitely has some residual heat and jalapeno aroma.  Tall but very short lived head.  I doubt I'll dump this one but I won't likely be handing it out to friends either.   Thinking the next time I venture into the chili beer arena it'll be the Calavera Spiced Chile Stout  .  Just my .02.

KaijuBrew, Cato, C-Note 1959 and 1 other like this

I recently made the Chile Fest Porter. I used 2 cans of Porter extract, 1 small booster, some Cara-pils and dark grains for steeping. The added 3 dried chipotles, and 3 Serrano's diced seeds rinds and all. End result is a beer I love with a cheeseburger, or any BBQ foods. Definite heat in this one, but not for everyone. Drank only a couple so far. Will let the rest age for mid to late summer. But would make again.

KaijuBrew, Shrike and 76shovel like this