Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bonsai & Brew

Kettle Sour V1.0

15 posts in this topic

I have been doing these by way of the GoodBelly juices...  come out mighty tasty.  Interested to see how this works out for you.  What's the plan ongoing?  Secondary on some fruit of some sort?  

This is the one I'm currently drinking...  Pomengranite Blackberry...  quite good IIDSSM...

561a767183f48c64de34bd26f075ee27_320x320

@swenocha This first attempt is basically an experiment to see what kind of souring I can expect using a mixed culture of Lactobacillus and other yogurt biota.  Although I cheated slightly by adjusting the initial pH of these starters using lactic acid, I'm trying to favor the growth of L. acidophilus and L. brevis.  In the end, this will be a straight-up, LBK-sized Sour IPA.  Hopefully later attempts will utilize fruit, barrel aging, etc., but since I'm a total nube to sours, I'm gonna keep this one fairly simple.  If successful, a @Creeps McLane-inspired Berliner Weisse will be next!🍻

As turbid as these starters looked after 24 hours, I was surprised that there was little odor beyond that of pale DME wort.  After reading about failed yogurt starters, i.e. those including odor descriptors such as "vomit," "baby diaper," and/or "spoiled milk," I was expecting at least some slightly offensive odor.  Hopefully, this would indicate a good start to this experiment.  Anyway, I adjusted the pH of the unhopped 2-Row wort slightly with a tablespoon of lactic acid, added my starters, mixed, and put kettle on the back burner @ 100-105 F for 24 hours.  

image.jpeg

Big Sarge and hotrod3539 like this

Moving right along, I started another lacto culture this morning at the lab.  This time I added about a tablespoon of lactose to really get things going.  Although my plan is subject to change, I'm thinking a Barrel aged Oud Bruin with tart cherries and cacao nibs might make for a nice Christmas Ale.  (Sorry, @Creeps McLane, my LHBS was out of malted wheat for that Berliner Weisse recipe that I've had rattling around in my head.)

Creeps McLane likes this

7 minutes ago, Bonsai & Brew said:

Moving right along, I started another lacto culture this morning at the lab.  This time I added about a tablespoon of lactose to really get things going.  Although my plan is subject to change, I'm thinking a Barrel aged Oud Bruin with tart cherries and cacao nibs might make for a nice Christmas Ale.  (Sorry, @Creeps McLane, my LHBS was out of malted wheat for that Berliner Wiesse recipe that I've had rattling around in my head.)

My wife sent me this pic last night. I think youre missing out cuz she really liked it

7576A1B5-61C2-42B8-B0D3-C890AF4B9E45.jpeg

Bonsai & Brew likes this

1 hour ago, Creeps McLane said:

So many beers to brew. Where does a guy start?

Start with what you like. For me I like IPA's !st, then stout, and porters. That is where I've started. I mean if I have a choice of steak or liver I'll take steak every time. Life is short, enjoy it.