Jdub

Recipe suggestion

46 posts in this topic

I'm a newbie. I have a bottling day coming up this weekend and don't want my LBK sitting idle for long after this run. When I got my rig I got several extract cans. I have an Am.Porter and an Am.Lager refill left. Is there a great recipe anyone recommends with either one of those cans? Also I have a great local HB shop I can get ingredients at too.  Thanks

MiniYoda likes this

Mr. Beer's web site has a very good method of narrowing down their recipes by selecting the HME and/or other aspects.  Also, if you have Excel, you can use the spreadsheet I created

http://community.mrbeer.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=3813

It helps in narrowing down recipes and shows full ingredient lists, etc.

MiniYoda......shameless self promotion.

On Friday, February 02, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Jdub said:

I'm a newbie. I have a bottling day coming up this weekend and don't want my LBK sitting idle for long after this run. When I got my rig I got several extract cans. I have an Am.Porter and an Am.Lager refill left. Is there a great recipe anyone recommends with either one of those cans? Also I have a great local HB shop I can get ingredients at too.  Thanks

For my own enjoyment, I add English treacle and brown sugar to the American Porter. After two weeks I transfer into a second LBK with oak spirals soaked in bourbon.

Bonsai & Brew likes this

I want the following styles (excuse me if they already have them)
something silmular too.

Fosters Premium ale (not the lager)
Estrella Dam
Medella light
Tona pale lager
Shiner Prickley Pear
Buddah Beer

Lets just leave it there for now as I have 100s of favourit

MiniYoda likes this

On 2/2/2018 at 3:44 PM, Shrike said:

Using the porter, you can't go wrong with Black Beer'd Porter or Staggerback Stout.  Both are damned tasty beers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I went with black beer’d porter. Went to my local HB shop. Got my malts, yeast and hops. Can’t wait to try the finished product this summer. 

Shrike likes this

When steeping grains in a muslin bag......when I was at my local HB shop I had them put together my grain mix. They have a pad that you write down what you need and they put it all together. I wasn’t sure about getting it milled or whole. They suggested milled. I noticed when I filled the muslin bag it leaks fine particles or grain dust into the wort....etc. is that ok? Will that settle into the trub?

Milled was the correct decision, unless you have a way to mill yourself.  :D  and no, I don't

Grain dust should be absorbed by the wort and enjoyed by the yeast.  anything bigger should fall down into the trub, and go away nicely.  Do make sure you cold crash for two days, as @RickBeer has recommended

As this is a porter, probably won't be critical for clarity.  But, in the future for lighter colored beers, consider Irish Moss, sold by Mr. Beer, to help clarify the beer when using grains.

Jdub likes this

17 hours ago, Timelordjason said:

I want the following styles (excuse me if they already have them)
something silmular too.

Fosters Premium ale (not the lager)
Estrella Dam
Medella light
Tona pale lager
Shiner Prickley Pear
Buddah Beer

Lets just leave it there for now as I have 100s of favourit

First, it is very hard to clone a commercial beer.  for the most part, but not always, you have to go all grain.

Secondly, lagers are a very tricky beer to brew.  Be prepared to ferment for 3 weeks at the lower 50's.  Personally, I have a dedicated fridge with a temp regulator to take care of fermentation temps.  Ale yeast is more forgiving.

Third, what you listed were not "styles", but commercial names.  To know what to brew, study the style, not the name on a bottle.

Good luck, and we're here for ya.

Yoder

dale hihn likes this

27 minutes ago, Jdub said:

When steeping grains in a muslin bag......when I was at my local HB shop I had them put together my grain mix. They have a pad that you write down what you need and they put it all together. I wasn’t sure about getting it milled or whole. They suggested milled. I noticed when I filled the muslin bag it leaks fine particles or grain dust into the wort....etc. is that ok? Will that settle into the trub?

You can't steep whole grains...

Jdub and DrMJG like this

29 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

First, it is very hard to clone a commercial beer.  for the most part, but not always, you have to go all grain.

Secondly, lagers are a very tricky beer to brew.  Be prepared to ferment for 3 weeks at the lower 50's.  Personally, I have a dedicated fridge with a temp regulator to take care of fermentation temps.  Ale yeast is more forgiving.

Third, what you listed were not "styles", but commercial names.  To know what to brew, study the style, not the name on a bottle.

Good luck, and we're here for ya.

Yoder

OK I understand what you mean.
Some of what I posted though are very unique and just looking of something simular to make doesnt have to be exact though.
Example being Estrella Damm (it is a gluten free Lager) I understand lagers are difficult but how would you even make a gluten free lager?

And 

Buddah Beer tastes like sprite HOW and is there any thing to make like that? A beer that tastes like a lime soda? (just looked and they make it w malt and rice)

AND

The taste of Fosters premium ale has a taste of its own i wouldnt know even how to describe it.

I have always been drawn to the unique bordering on wierd in tastes (not just beer) so as i advance i know i want to go out there and make some very odd things .

MiniYoda likes this

Being half Castilian on my mother's side, I know about Estrella Damm.  Their beer that is gluten free is "Daura".  Estrella Damm normal is very tasty, but make sure you ask for Daura if you want the gluten free version.

Second, Gluten Free beer is in a league of its own.  I'm not NEARLY close to being able to explain how to brew it.  All I know is that to brew beer that is gluten free, you must use only rice, corn, millet and/or buckwheat.  II would refer to those on here who know more, and web research.  I doubt very much that any beer product by Mr. Beer is gluten free.

However, their hard cider and root beer products should be gluten free, as long as you don't add certain grains.

I leave the floor to @MRB Rick and @MRB Josh R for further input

Correction.  Apparently there is an Estrella Galicia that is also gluten free.  Just goes to show you can never stop learning

M.Y.

Timelordjason likes this

2 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

Being half Castilian on my mother's side, I know about Estrella Damm.  Their beer that is gluten free is "Daura".  Estrella Damm normal is very tasty, but make sure you ask for Daura if you want the gluten free version.

Second, Gluten Free beer is in a league of its own.  I'm not NEARLY close to being able to explain how to brew it.  All I know is that to brew beer that is gluten free, you must use only rice, corn, millet and/or buckwheat.  II would refer to those on here who know more, and web research.  I doubt very much that any beer product by Mr. Beer is gluten free.

However, their hard cider and root beer products should be gluten free, as long as you don't add certain grains.

I leave the floor to @MRB Rick and @MRB Josh R for further input

OK thank you for that explanation and I love Barcelona ;) (rooting for Catalan independence)

What about the Buddah beer?
Is there a refill that would work with using it with rice to make a rice beer?

No, I don't think they have anything that would be a rice beer.  Honestly, I personally haven't hear of rice beer, but I don't get out much.  But it does sound very intriguing

Timelordjason likes this

8 minutes ago, MiniYoda said:

No, I don't think they have anything that would be a rice beer.  Honestly, I personally haven't hear of rice beer, but I don't get out much.  But it does sound very intriguing

Try it sometime it is amazing and the bottles are great too. :)lucky-buddha-beer-330ml_temp.jpg

youdontknowme311 and MiniYoda like this

Green or clear glass allows UV light to skunk the beer.  Happens in under 2 mins.

Take a regular beer, pour into 2 glasses.  Set 1 in direct sunlight for 2 mins.  Smell it.  Skunk.  Taste other beer, then the skunked beer.

Buy Heineken in a bottle and a can.  Compare.

MiniYoda likes this

21 hours ago, RickBeer said:

Green or clear glass allows UV light to skunk the beer.  Happens in under 2 mins.

Take a regular beer, pour into 2 glasses.  Set 1 in direct sunlight for 2 mins.  Smell it.  Skunk.  Taste other beer, then the skunked beer.

Buy Heineken in a bottle and a can.  Compare.

So, to be a true beer sophficionado, I need to drink my beer from amber glasses while sitting in the shade?

Creeps McLane likes this

If you put any glass of beer in the sun, it will be skunked within a minute.

A friend of mine stopped at a beer garden in the summer, and went to their patio.  Seeing there was no shade, no umbrellas, he left, because he knew the beer would be ruined.

having drank many beers in central america and at tiki huts all over the caribean i totally think it must depend on situation because those have been my favourite beers. Beer on the beach cant be beat. and i never saw any skunks on the beach.:D

Again, do the experiment yourself.  Bright sunlight, pour a beer into 2 glasses.  Put one in the sun for 90 seconds, then compare them side by side.  You will smell skunk.  Do not do it with Miller because they use hops that are treated to not do it.

22 minutes ago, RickBeer said:

Again, do the experiment yourself.  Bright sunlight, pour a beer into 2 glasses.  Put one in the sun for 90 seconds, then compare them side by side.  You will smell skunk.  Do not do it with Miller because they use hops that are treated to not do it.

Ummmmm, when exactly did Miller become beer?

D Kristof and MiniYoda like this

1 hour ago, RickBeer said:

Huh? How so? What are they doing to prevent lightstrike of the hop oils? This I would like to know.

MiniYoda likes this